Which players would you keep?

WilkoRam

Just to start a different discussion. Rather than who would you buy. Who would you keep from the current squad?

Legzdins

Fielding

Brayford

Barker

Keogh

Freeman

Hendrick

Bryson

Bailey (yes Bailey, the boy can pass)

Ward

Jacobs

Bennett

Hughes

There's the makings of a good team there with a bit of flair and a striker or two.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to start a different discussion. Rather than who would you buy. Who would you keep from the current squad?

Legzdins

Fielding

Brayford

Barker

Keogh

Freeman

Hendrick

Bryson

Ward

Jacobs

Bennett

Hughes

There's the makings of a good team there with a bit of flair and a striker or two.

Add Davies and Sammon and I agree.

Legzdins

Fielding

Brayford

Barker

Keogh

Freeman

Hendrick

Bryson

Ward

Jacobs

Bennett

Hughes

I'd keep:-

Fielding

Legzdins

Brayford

Hendrick

Bryson

Bailey

Hughes

Jacobs

Ward

Ben Davies

Bennett

Martin

Sadly, most of our defence is pretty standard. Whilst the likes of Keogh, Buxton and Barker are almost warrior like in their efforts, they aren't good footballers, although in Barker's case, I'd have kept him prior to injury as I don't think he'll be the same player. We could pick up 5-8 new defenders to replace O'Connor, Freeman, Buxton, O'Brien, Barker, Keogh, Freeman and Forsyth and I don't think it'd have a major impact as they're all much of a muchness at this level.

I too think Bailey has something to offer at this level.

Likewise don't understand why we shipped him on loan when he started to show signs if form, especially as he has pace and neither Sammon or Martin do. However he's hardly done anything amazing in his career so don't think it's a huge loss.

I think either Barker or Keogh alongside a defender who is confident on the ball would work well. I don't think the defence needs a complete overhaul just add a calm head there to encourage playing from the back (always remember Dean Yates commenting on Stimac playing him the ball and him telling Igor not too but Igor insisted).

Bailey going in loan will always baffle me. He could pass a ball and seemed calm in possession. He was good at getting the ball played through midfield. We don't have that really now and I think it's another sign of hard work and effort being placed higher than ability.

I’d definitely keep (unless a really stupid offer came in):

Brayford

Keogh

Freeman

Bennett

Hughes

Jacobs

Hendrick

Legzdins

Hoganson

Forsyth

Gjokaj

Barker if he proves his fitness

O’Brien as above

I’d keep unless I knew we suddenly had lots of extra cash to play with:

Buxton

Davies

I’d try to get good money for, but keep if no good offers came in:

Fielding

Bryson

Ward

I’d sell to any reasonable offer:

Sammon

Bailey

Coutts

O’Connor

Naylor

I’d release/not sign/not renew:

Robinson

Tyson

Doyle

Roberts

Deeney

Martin

Legzdins

Fielding

Brayford

Barker

Keogh

Freeman

Hendrick

Bryson

Ward

Jacobs

Bennett

Hughes

Two things strike me about this team. First of all, that team is better than 15th. None of those players are playing at the wrong level. Second of all, that's a good base for a squad and you could name as many players of similar ability in all the top 6 sides - it's just the expensive bits which are missing.

I’d definitely keep (unless a really stupid offer came in):

Brayford

Keogh

Freeman

Bennett

Hughes

Jacobs

Hendrick

Legzdins

Hoganson

Forsyth

Gjokaj

Barker if he proves his fitness

O’Brien as above

I’d keep unless I knew we suddenly had lots of extra cash to play with:

Buxton

Davies

I’d try to get good money for, but keep if no good offers came in:

Fielding

Bryson

Ward

I’d sell to any reasonable offer:

Sammon

Bailey

Coutts

O’Connor

Naylor

I’d release/not sign/not renew:

Robinson

Tyson

Doyle

Roberts

Deeney

Martin

I’d definitely keep 

Brayford

Keogh

Freeman

Bennett

Hughes

Hendrick

Roberts

Hoganson

Ward

Coutts

O'Brien

The rest I would look to move on as many as possible, major clear out needed of the squad. I would favour selling the players who we could get money, who can easily be replaced with better  like Bryson, Jacobs, Sammon and the keepers rather than a key man like Brayford. We need more quality over quantity. Loans and young players can cover injuries etc.

Likewise don't understand why we shipped him on loan when he started to show signs if form, especially as he has pace and neither Sammon or Martin do. However he's hardly done anything amazing in his career so don't think it's a huge loss.

I think either Barker or Keogh alongside a defender who is confident on the ball would work well. I don't think the defence needs a complete overhaul just add a calm head there to encourage playing from the back (always remember Dean Yates commenting on Stimac playing him the ball and him telling Igor not too but Igor insisted).

Bailey going in loan will always baffle me. He could pass a ball and seemed calm in possession. He was good at getting the ball played through midfield. We don't have that really now and I think it's another sign of hard work and effort being placed higher than ability.

Bailey had plenty of opportunity and never really convinced, he hasn't excelled at Coventry either. We need his type of player I agree but better. Savage certainly did a decent job at times away but for some reason has never been replaced.

Bailey had plenty of opportunity and never really convinced, he hasn't excelled at Coventry either. We need his type of player I agree but better. Savage certainly did a decent job at times away but for some reason has never been replaced.

Oh Henry, your sentiment is right, we do need someone, but please, Savage was the master of conmen. He flattered to deceive. His showmanlike efforts to chase a backpass, thus getting a round of applause from the easily pleased fans, was in aid of himself not for the good of the team.

Savage leaving was the catalyst for the improvement in performances. More often than not, Savage's direct opponent was man of the match as he left Savage puffing and panting in his wake, chasing shadows and trying to tap his ankles.

Make no mistake, part of the reason Shackell and co looked so good last year, was simply that less was coming through the middle of midfield after Savage retired.

Who would we keep? What for to be midtable again, a side that may sneak into the play offs or a side that could really have good chance of promotion and could be built on to stay up?

The only real good players for me are Brayford, Hughes and Hendrick, the rest are pretty average and could all be easily replaced by others at the same level. Keogh I think is decent and could excel with a good partner.

Oh Henry, your sentiment is right, we do need someone, but please, Savage was the master of conmen. He flattered to deceive. His showmanlike efforts to chase a backpass, thus getting a round of applause from the easily pleased fans, was in aid of himself not for the good of the team.

Savage leaving was the catalyst for the improvement in performances. More often than not, Savage's direct opponent was man of the match as he left Savage puffing and panting in his wake, chasing shadows and trying to tap his ankles.

Make no mistake, part of the reason Shackell and co looked so good last year, was simply that less was coming through the middle of midfield after Savage retired.

I wasn't trying to say Savage was great but at times he did a good job away from home as a defender in front of the back four, since he left we have never had that type of player.

Last season I thought the midfield was very weak, we were second best in so many games. This season the midfield has been much better in terms of control, mainly because of Hughes but the defence has been much weaker because we lost Shackell and we don't have that shielding player to help, when needed.. 

Two things strike me about this team. First of all, that team is better than 15th. None of those players are playing at the wrong level. Second of all, that's a good base for a squad and you could name as many players of similar ability in all the top 6 sides - it's just the expensive bits which are missing.

They're not necessarily that expensive but it's one of those clichés that get used. Yes if you are after a proper class play you may well be forking out the top end. The most expensive transfers in the world are generally for your attacking players but that doesn't mean all attacking players are expensive. They can be found if you look.

I agree it's a team with a good basis to be built upon and shouldn't be 15th. But 14th, 19th, 12th and now probably somewhere around 14th. Hardly showing their potential.

At that point again where I probably wouldn't be bothered to see anyone go. 

We have few quality players and the ones that we have are either inconsistent or injury prone. 

Can we afford to have another season where one of your centre mids doesn't turn up until Christmas whilst the other one is continually carrying knocks or out injured? Where our biggest attacking threat misses half the year through injury.. 

I wouldn't like to start again squad wise but there's nobody I'd be gutted to lose. 

Tin hat on here, Nathan Tyson as well. Just as he was starting to show some promise, we shipped him out on loan. Can't understand that at all.

was probably sick and tired of being put on the bench week in week out when Sammon whilst sammon was starting every game and being his typical poor self

Archived