The main reason we missed out this season!

ChaddesdenRam

So we cant bring someone in who will make a better contribution than the dropped player?

That is kind of the point of transfers, to improve on what we've already got. 

Exactly my point, they improve on not replace, if you change a 10 goal a season striker for a 20-goal a season striker you score an additional 10 goals not 20....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont really see what's unfair? I dont watch us play every game, but I've watched us play enough. You're just twisting what I'm saying as well. Using past exagerrated comments I've made to say I think we're ****. I think we're average, with some good players and some bad players. 

Of course we have got players in each part that are good enough, if Hughes plays I think central midfield is probably good enough. Wherever Ward plays, whether it out wide or up front, that position is good enough.

At right back we're good enough and with Keogh at centre half that position is arguably good enough, though I'm still not convinced but I can get on board.

Then in other positions we clearly arent good enough, left back, another centre half, another two strikers, another winger equalling that we arent good enough in attack, midfield or defence overall.

Mate it's not twisting anything at all and I'm not trying to be a tool here.

You said today you'd been to 7 games and didn';t bother going to Watford. I'm not trying to embarass you or out you as a poor fan. I just don't understand how you can make such polarised judgements on us or the individual players when you don't see the games.

Sorry, I just don't see how or why.

The strikers arent good enough, the midfield isnt good enough and the defence isnt good enough.

It really is that simple

You might as well add................

The goalkeepers aren't good enough.

The stadium isn't good enough.

The owners aren't good enough.

The food and drink isn't good enough.

The programme isn't good enough.

The PA announcer isn't good enough.

The seating isn't good enough.

The car parking isn't good enough.

The fans aren't good enough.

;)  and for some but not for me.....

The manager isn't good enough.

...........or is that too simplistic?

Exactly my point, they improve on not replace, if you change a 10 goal a season striker for a 20-goal a season striker you score an additional 10 goals not 20....

Who is this 10 goal a season striker that we have at the moment ?

Sammon has scored 7 in the league so far, he may get another one going on his current strike rate, but theres another 12 goals.

Not that its down to Sammon we missed out this season, lack of squad depth and that extra quality is what I put it down to.

Who is this 10 goal a season striker that we have at the moment ?

Sammon has scored 7 in the league so far, he may get another one going on his current strike rate, but theres another 12 goals.

Not that its down to Sammon we missed out this season, lack of squad depth and that extra quality is what I put it down to.

The season hasn't finished yet, Sammon may get around 10 goals, he has also created several others which a poacher type striker may not.

My point is that if we replace Sammon with an out-and-out 20-goal striker we may only get a small net increase in goals scored by the team.  If we replace his partner with the same striker the position isn't much different.  Scoring more goals would be good but cutting down the number of goals we concede is likely to increase our league performance more. 

Sorry if you disagree, that's my opinion....

Dont really see what's unfair? I dont watch us play every game, but I've watched us play enough. You're just twisting what I'm saying as well. Using past exagerrated comments I've made to say I think we're ****. I think we're average, with some good players and some bad players. 

Of course we have got players in each part that are good enough, if Hughes plays I think central midfield is probably good enough. Wherever Ward plays, whether it out wide or up front, that position is good enough.

At right back we're good enough and with Keogh at centre half that position is arguably good enough, though I'm still not convinced but I can get on board.

Then in other positions we clearly arent good enough, left back, another centre half, another two strikers, another winger equalling that we arent good enough in attack, midfield or defence overall.

In my opinion your view is pretty spot on, regardless of how many games you have been to this season....

I think we've proven to be good enough regardless.

We've NEVER been beaten simply cos the other team is better! We've lost most away games due to negativity, and many points at home due to switching from positive to negative and in some cases, sheer bad luck.

In a parallel universe, or if you prefer the cliche "on another day", each bad result could and maybe should've been a good result and we would not be in a false position if we had 12-15 more points.

There's not a team in this division we cannot beat, and recent results, whilst missing Hughes, Ward and Brayford have proven that with the right attitude, even with the fringe players involved, we can compete.

So many people seem to think a 20-goal a season is all we need to make the difference.  Signing one would not mean that we would score an extra 20-goals.  Putting aside the difficulty all clubs have in finding these, let's think about what this would mean.  If we replace Sammon it would mean circa an extra 10 goals from that position and probably a slight reduction in the goals scored by the supporting striker when we have played one.  So maybe an extra 6-7 goals.  If we replace the supporting striker it would probably mean and extra 2-3 goals given what Ward, Robinson, Martin, Theo etc. have scored when playing in that role.  Neither option would be likely to significantly increase our point total.

On the other hand, if we managed to reduce our goals against numbers by c20, we could easily be in the top 2.

I'm of the view that we should focus our summer spending on good defensive players.....

I'd agree that we need to strengthen defensively,but I don't think the constant injury disruptions have helped in forging an understanding between any CB pairing.Baptiste would be good and I'd quite like to see Forsyth at LB.I like the height he brings,his calm approach and his ability to put in decent delivery,without the need to cut in on his right foot and deliver those diagonal balls that are easier for defenders to deal with.

Having said that,my one wish for the new season (apart from signing quality,experienced players to at least give Nigel the chance to achieve the targets that appear to be set for him) is that Jake enjoys a season free of injuries.If anyone deserves the chance to be able to show what he can really do,then it's this guy.I certainly wouldn't back against his fashioning himself into a very good CB at this level.

I note your comments on the striker,but feel that either existing players have to become more clinical (not sure about that one),or we need to bring one in who has proven to be clinical.We haven't been losing away games through a failure to create chances,but more through an inability to take a reasonable percentage (allied to defensive frailties at times).Better teams have mugged us on the basis of fewer chances created,aided and abetted by a tight defence.If we'd displayed these qualities,nobody would have gone on about formations all year.

My preferred CM paring would be Hendrick/Hughes,and I expect both to come on more next season.I realise that because of the way some teams set up we might have to sometimes play a 3,with Bryson included.My only other concern would be over a lack of quality delivery from wide positions on occasions.

I look forward to next year with some optimism,however I believe that if Clough is to be set targets he needs to be given  adequate tools to achieve same.Actions always speak louder than words.We'll see. 

The main reason we missed out is because of errors we have made either defensive errors i.e Ipswich at home with no one closing down. Tactical errors, brayford at CM constant sitting back and having poor strikers. Whether we can cut out these errors next season remains to be seen. Hopefully it's just inexperience even though Keogh has made a lot of mistakes that have cost us IMO.

I think though we can overcome this with the right summer signings and Clough just learning from the past.

I like that a lot of people think we can make the top 6 next season, but if we don't there needs to be a change. Preferably in the dugout.

The main reason we missed out is because of errors we have made either defensive errors i.e Ipswich at home with no one closing down. Tactical errors, brayford at CM constant sitting back and having poor strikers. Whether we can cut out these errors next season remains to be seen. Hopefully it's just inexperience even though Keogh has made a lot of mistakes that have cost us IMO.

I think though we can overcome this with the right summer signings and Clough just learning from the past.

I like that a lot of people think we can make the top 6 next season, but if we don't there needs to be a change. Preferably in the dugout.

A lot of people jumping on EKR here but I think it might be because he's been put in the wrist slasher camp.

He wasn't having a dig or saying the team is ****. He saying all positions aren't good enough.

We've conceded lots of sloppy goals. Many from set pieces. Roberts, Buxton and OB have injuries to contend with every season. There's weakness.

Midfield. Well there's a thread about Coutts so I'd suggest he's not convinced everyone. Hendrick was poor for half a season. Bryson has struggled for form and fitness since Hendrick hit form. Ward is inconsistent and injury prone.

Strikers. There's about 200 pages and 5 threads that debate the usefulness of Sammon. So I'd say there are question marks against him. Tyson hasn't had much success. Theo has question marks and is out on loan. Bennett is 16 and Martin is on loan.

So for what it's worth EKR, I agree. The team isn't good enough. (That doesn't mean ****. Average doesn't = poor. Average is average. Not good enough means not better than Cardiff, Leicester or Palace or Hull etc)

Mate it's not twisting anything at all and I'm not trying to be a tool here.

You said today you'd been to 7 games and didn';t bother going to Watford. I'm not trying to embarass you or out you as a poor fan. I just don't understand how you can make such polarised judgements on us or the individual players when you don't see the games.

Sorry, I just don't see how or why.

Your post is so ridiculous, I dont know where to start.

To begin with, I've watched all games that were on television and all of those that were possible online, plus watching many games through ramsplayer. So I'd say I've watched about half our games in total. 

But in you're book I've had to watch all 90 minutes of every game for my opinion to be valid.

Even though I'm commenting on individual players, many of whom have been at the club a long time and that I've seen play plenty of games. I've been to enough games with Clough as manager to know how we play and how he sets up.

So based on your argument, I cant say Messi is quality, cos I havent watched 40 full 90 minutes of him playing. 

I know Brayford is a good player and Roberts isnt. I know Ward is a good player and Sammon isnt. You dont need a weatherman to tell you it's p*ssing it down.

Also, what dont you agree with on my assessment of our players?

There's nothing mystical about numbers 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or any other system for that matter. Some of you seem to think that there is. I suggest you leave the Football Manager alone and go to the pub. 

A lot of people jumping on EKR here but I think it might be because he's been put in the wrist slasher camp.

He wasn't having a dig or saying the team is ****. He saying all positions aren't good enough.

We've conceded lots of sloppy goals. Many from set pieces. Roberts, Buxton and OB have injuries to contend with every season. There's weakness.

Midfield. Well there's a thread about Coutts so I'd suggest he's not convinced everyone. Hendrick was poor for half a season. Bryson has struggled for form and fitness since Hendrick hit form. Ward is inconsistent and injury prone.

Strikers. There's about 200 pages and 5 threads that debate the usefulness of Sammon. So I'd say there are question marks against him. Tyson hasn't had much success. Theo has question marks and is out on loan. Bennett is 16 and Martin is on loan.

So for what it's worth EKR, I agree. The team isn't good enough. (That doesn't mean ****. Average doesn't = poor. Average is average. Not good enough means not better than Cardiff, Leicester or Palace or Hull etc)

I think you are pretty much spot on with your assessment. If we were strong or compatible in every position we would be flying. Can I just add that sometimes a player can individually have less skill but because of other aspects of their game (maybe just better awareness) they can improve a team. It's all about the blend of the team unless you have a team of superstars.

Your post is so ridiculous, I dont know where to start.

To begin with, I've watched all games that were on television and all of those that were possible online, plus watching many games through ramsplayer. So I'd say I've watched about half our games in total. 

But in you're book I've had to watch all 90 minutes of every game for my opinion to be valid.

Even though I'm commenting on individual players, many of whom have been at the club a long time and that I've seen play plenty of games. I've been to enough games with Clough as manager to know how we play and how he sets up.

So based on your argument, I cant say Messi is quality, cos I havent watched 40 full 90 minutes of him playing. 

I know Brayford is a good player and Roberts isnt. I know Ward is a good player and Sammon isnt. You dont need a weatherman to tell you it's p*ssing it down.

Also, what dont you agree with on my assessment of our players?

First bold, harsh.

Second bold, That's more than enough to form a valid opinion. If you've watched us that much then I owe you an apology. Sorry.

From your posts I misunderstood how often you watch.  You make it sound as if you never see us play.

Now the sting.

If you've watched us that often how can you not see the difference in the way we are playing. We are a totally different side than the dour one which you paid money to see last year. Even away from home.

First bold, harsh.

Second bold, That's more than enough to form a valid opinion. If you've watched us that much then I owe you an apology. Sorry.

From your posts I misunderstood how often you watch.  You make it sound as if you never see us play.

Now the sting.

If you've watched us that often how can you not see the difference in the way we are playing. We are a totally different side than the dour one which you paid money to see last year. Even away from home.

Totally different side is a slight exagerration, I agree we're probably a bit better but we're not 'totally different'. I said we're an average side, I dont see how you can say we are anything but. 

We're still not really better away from home, with one of the worst records in the division and one of the worst away goal differences. We keep possession better but we're still not much of a threat most of the time as well as conceeding a lot of goals. 

Archived