at last some sense

bucktwo

I think alot of fans on here are axpecting playoffs this year!!

Are you expecting to reach the playoffs next season?

I've expected play offs for a few seasons, takes about the first 3 games each season to realise that's not going to happen.

The thing is, you read similar views each season, and then it gets to the point where we know we're not going to make the play offs and the same reasons/excuses come out again with everyone saying 'next season is the one'.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temporary? We chased Chris Maguire all Summer, finally coughed up 400,000 then six months later loaned him off to Portsmouth (a side riddled in debt, therefore doubt they paid a penny in wages) .

Then for this "temporary" master plan, we sell him to Sheffield Wednesday for half the fee we paid less than a year later.

Half the fee?

Looks it's simples 1 add 1 is 2....

So 277 thousand is almost 3 quaters of what we broughtn him for..

Have you ever walked into a shop brought a product paid x amount and then a year later didn't want it or need it so you sold it on Ebay? 

I've expected play offs for a few seasons, takes about the first 3 games each season to realise that's not going to happen.

The thing is, you read similar views each season, and then it gets to the point where we know we're not going to make the play offs and the same reasons/excuses come out again with everyone saying 'next season is the one'.

Look clearly I can see from your posts that you attend the games...

I also attend so I know what it's like to travel all that way and go home dissapointed.

We are closer than ever this season..

It's hard hearing the same thing each year but we have slowely built the team up and now we will start to reap the rewards..

I honestly think next year is make or break for everyone at the club. I think they know that at the club as well.

It is an exciting time and I think next year will be a brilliant atmosphere and the fun times are coming if there not then fair enough but for now lets just enjoy.

Look clearly I can see from your posts that you attend the games...

I also attend so I know what it's like to travel all that way and go home dissapointed.

We are closer than ever this season..

It's hard hearing the same thing each year but we have slowely built the team up and now we will start to reap the rewards..

I honestly think next year is make or break for everyone at the club. I think they know that at the club as well.

It is an exciting time and I think next year will be a brilliant atmosphere and the fun times are coming if there not then fair enough but for now lets just enjoy.

I've barely attended this season to be honest, think I've been to about 7 games.

This is the first season in a long time where I just cant be bothered to go, there's other things I'd rather be doing. I've lost a lot of the hope and excitement that comes with being a football fan. There's nothing more uninspiring than supporting a club I believe to be going nowhere, I'd rather us stay up on the last day of the season, at least there would be some purpose. 

I used to really look forward to going to every game I used to go to, under this regime, I just cant be f*cked. Even the closest games to me, Millwall, Palace etc seemed like a chore. I didnt go to Watford this year for the first time in about 5 years. 

And this comes from someone who's made some long, long journeys in the past few years. 

I think we need to change our style more than anything. If we play like we do and get promoted I'd be very worried about the season in the Prem. look at the teams that went up recently and how they play. There's a sea change, teams play football now, they pass, there's movement. We knock the ball around the back a little then loft it forward mostly. If this tactic was to keep things stable then it needs to be improved on now. Lets get the ball down and pass it through midfield.

Half the fee?

Looks it's simples 1 add 1 is 2....

So 277 thousand is almost 3 quaters of what we broughtn him for..

Have you ever walked into a shop brought a product paid x amount and then a year later didn't want it or need it so you sold it on Ebay?

Yes I've brought some right garbage and ended up flogging it on eBay further down the line, but I made sure I got my money back, also made a tidy profit on some occasions.

What in the fuff are you on about?

You are comparing a game of football to jimmys corner shop.

And to answer your question yes I've brought some right garbage and ended up flogging it on eBay, but I made sure I got my money back, also made a tidy profit on some occasions.

Yes Wigan have made a right good profit on some of the rubbish they brought too..they're's some right mugs out there...

Surely we would of been able to double Mcguires fee if we had a director like Dave Wheelan...

As for next season well being realistic its hard to say what we will achieve until the transfer window closes...my gut feeling is that if players like Martin are the order of the day then it will be much the same as this year..with similar forum debates about next year will be the big one...

Still lets be honest none of us would swap our allegiances for the rams for any other club although some may go into hibernation until better times appear...

I'd rather have improvement than stability.

I'd have also rather have a manager who was capable of getting the best out of those expensive flops instead of ridding the squad of quality and creativity.

Quality and creativity in THAT team?

You've come out with some insightful statements in the past Mostyn, but on this occasion you have exceeded even your own fine high standards.

"Clough haters"?

What's the opposite? Clough lovers?

Here's a new one; 'Derby supporters'

It's basically a supporter of Derby and Derby alone. So if they think Clough is good for Derby they support him. If he's doing badly then they stop. It's not really fickle it's just they are loyal to the badge and not the fella wearing it.

It seems a very fatuous article by Neville, fans should never get bored of stability? Well chairmen certainly do get bored, look at the number of manager's whom have got sacked so far this season, Danny Wilson only yesterday and Sheffield United are 5th in the table. Why shouldn't fans accept mediocrity by the same token?

It seems a very fatuous article by Neville, fans should never get bored of stability? Well chairmen certainly do get bored, look at the number of manager's whom have got sacked so far this season, Danny Wilson only yesterday and Sheffield United are 5th in the table. Why shouldn't fans accept mediocrity by the same token?

Is stability the same thing as mediocrity?

Is stability the same thing as mediocrity?

Spot on comment, are the two adjectives mutually exclusive in footballing parlance? Is it a truism that the most stable football clubs in managerial terms are also the most successful ones? Yes and no, Man Utd, Everton defintely yes for example, us? Jury's out until next season (remember saying that last year as well)

Spot on comment, are the two adjectives mutually exclusive in footballing parlance? Is it a truism that the most stable football clubs in managerial terms are also the most successful ones? Yes and no, Man Utd, Everton defintely yes for example, us? Jury's out until next season (remember saying that last year as well)

Yep, it's absolutely true that it's yes and no. Accepting stability doesn't mean settling for mediocrity, but often "mediocrity" is a necessary step as part of the process. Fergie's United, Moyes' Everton and many other stable clubs have had some pretty unspectacular seasons (in fact, this season, United have been pretty mediocre in every bar the Premier League, which has virtually been handed to them by the other clubs).

If you want stability you may have to accept mediocrity. There were some calling for Moyes and Fergie's head in the early days because they didn't want to accept mediocrity...but they're not getting that any more.

There aren't many clubs that have had a manager for 5 years and haven't seen some form of benefit...but, of course, those stats don't prove much because if you've been around for 5 years, you've been a good manager generally speaking.

Clough is a unique case. He has been given far more time than almost any of his peers. We are very stable. But I don't think we're accepting mediocrity by sticking with him - this is not where I want to be stuck forever. But as you say, the jury is out with our manager. Still too early to tell if the foundations he has been laying here and the dismantling he has done has actually counted for anything. This could be the best we're ever going to be with him, or the start of an amazing chapter...there's good arguments you could make for either case.

a more astute manager would have us there by now.

We were above Forest and playing better than them until they employed someone who knew how to do it, and look at them, an example of the difference between inept and adept.

Forests squad cost many millions more than ours - and that makes a big difference thats why the top 3 in the Prem are the richest 3.

Wee Billy got sacked from Forest for spending squillions and not getting promoted.

& ffs those saying Nigel Clough is happy with mediocrity - he must have been really pissed when Burton were walking the league with a record points total -

AND last time I looked Burton were in the automatic promotion places from league2, NOT getting relegated with seriously w**k teams like Wolves, Birmingham........ & us in 2008.

Keep the Faith B)

Forests squad cost many millions more than ours - and that makes a big difference thats why the top 3 in the Prem are the richest 3.

Wee Billy got sacked from Forest for spending squillions and not getting promoted.

& ffs those saying Nigel Clough is happy with mediocrity - he must have been really pissed when Burton were walking the league with a record points total -

AND last time I looked Burton were in the automatic promotion places from league2, NOT getting relegated with seriously w**k teams like Wolves, Birmingham........ & us in 2008.

Keep the Faith B)

I am NOT having that as an excuse! It may have escaped your attention, or you may have conveniently overlooked the fact, BUT the squad that Nigel inherited cost 'many millions more' than other squads that did considerably better than us! You cannot have it both ways.

Archived