at last some sense

bucktwo

GARY Neville recently wrote in a national newspaper that supporters should not get bored with the stability that long-serving managers can bring to their clubs"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1" alt="lb_icon1">.

As a Derby supporter, I read the article with great interest, as much of what Neville wrote could be aimed at a minority of our fans who have vented their frustration at the perceived lack of progress made under Nigel Clough.

The arguments against Clough range from a supposed lack of tactical nous, to his dealings in the transfer market. However, on closer inspection, these arguments lack validity.

Upon becoming Derby manager, Clough inherited a squad of 39 first-team professionals, a wage bill in excess of £22-million and a team that had recently won only once in a whole year.

Underperforming, overpaid players"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> had to be moved on and the squad rebuilt. Of all the players to have departed during Clough's reign, only Kris Commons can claim to have played regularly at a higher level since.

It is also worth reminding ourselves that, as Derby manager, Billy Davies spent around £20m (including wages) on flops Claude Davis, Kenny Miller and Robert Earnshaw alone.

In contrast, Clough has picked up reliable performers from the lower leagues such as Jake Buxton and John Brayford and integrated youngsters Jeff Hendrick and Will Hughes into the team.

Reducing the club's outgoings while remaining competitive on the field was always going to be difficult but gradual progress has been made. Generally, the performances on the pitch have been of a higher quality season on season, even if the points total does not reflect this.

The team has already scored nine more goals"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> this season than in the whole of last season, which demonstrates a more expansive brand of football than in previous years.

The performance of the under-18s in this year's FA Youth"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1" alt="lb_icon1"> Cup is further evidence that the long-term strategy adopted by Clough is showing promise.

I believe that the quiet majority of supporters"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> share the view that, with Clough at the helm, the club is in safe hands and that the team is close to being successful.

Unfortunately, the minority sometimes shout loudest. During the recent winless run of eight games, I saw many fans on social media outlets suggest that other managers, such as the then out of work Nigel Adkins or Paolo Di Canio, would be more successful.

Many pointed to Adkins' success at Ssausagehorpe, where he had resources relative to Clough's at his disposal.

However, it is also worth noting that Adkins managed the team when they were relegated from the Championship in 2008, while Di Canio has displayed a volatile temperament during a relatively short managerial career.

One can only hope that Sam Rush and the club's owners remain supportive of Clough and afford him the time to build upon the strong foundations he has laid.

Having endured many ups and downs as a Derby supporter, I share Gary Neville's view – stability is not boring. Nigel Clough should be applauded for the job he is doing.

time to get behind everything that we , as fans should stand for!!!!!

come on you rams

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok well Nigel has done some good stuff but stability is only good when those stable factors are working. Stability for the sake of it is as detrimental as knee jerk changes.

You listed many plus points for Nigel but to play devils advocate here.

- he got rid of high earners who weren't very good. So he effectively paid off rub ish players. Hardly an amazing feet, any manager can do this. You just trim the fat.

- he has signed some good cheaper players who have done well like Brayford and Bucko. He's also signed a lot who haven't worked and also seems very narrow in his scouting limiting the pool of players we have to choose from

- 9 goals over the course of a season isn't much but it is a good sign. We sometimes play well but often play a few passes around the back and loft a ball down the flanks. That tactic will either keep us mid-table or worse, get us promoted and have us challenging our own low points record. We don't seem to want to play it through the midfield much.

I do like the youth set up and how they're being brought through and although we're not the worse team I've seen or in the championship we are generally dull to watch. We lack the creativity and spark to make us entertaining.

I hope we get a good investment in the summer so this topic can be decided once and for all money of Nigel

...any manager can do this eh?

Err yeah. Any manager given the brief of "reduce the squad and the wage bill" can say "well this is a list of players who are surplus and high earners" and those players then get paid off. Sorry where's the skill in that? You think it's a major skill do you? He was allowed to keep the nucleus of the team and gradually phase things out. He didn't have to rip the best players from the side. As mentioned the only player who went on to play at a higher level is Commons, who we tried to keep. So which players were a major loss that he had to contend with? Reducing the wage bill when you have to lose a host of key players on day one and still achieve success is different to losing a host of high paid under achievers. He kept Hulse, Commons, Savage, Bywater, etc. the core of the team. If he was forced to lose these players and and keep us playing then fine.

I don't think everything he has done is bad or easy. He's done some good things whilst at Derby and continues to do some good things but I also don't believe he has done nothing but good. As I've said before its what outweighs the other for people. For me the bad currently outweighs the good.

Hang on Gary Neville thinks we are doing something right.

He works for Sky and coaches the England team I'm gonna say his opinion is quite valid.

I bet all the Clough Out people come on now saying stuff like 'UNBELIEVABLE' and 'where's your touch screen pad gone'

In serious though Neville knows his stuff and if I was Nigel I would take that as a big compliment.

Gary Neville doesn't even mention us (unless I've read the wrong article). So lets not turn this into a "Gary Neville thinks Nigel Clough should stay in charge". He references Pulis and Moyes and says that managers are not given 5 years to lay foundations and another 5 to build on it. I tend to agree but it has to be a 10 year investment in the right man. Where was all this talk when we had Gregory in charge? Should he have had 5 years to lay his foundations and if not why not?

GARY Neville recently wrote in a national newspaper that supporters should not get bored with the stability that long-serving managers can bring to their clubs"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1" alt="lb_icon1">.

As a Derby supporter, I read the article with great interest, as much of what Neville wrote could be aimed at a minority of our fans who have vented their frustration at the perceived lack of progress made under Nigel Clough.

The arguments against Clough range from a supposed lack of tactical nous, to his dealings in the transfer market. However, on closer inspection, these arguments lack validity.

Upon becoming Derby manager, Clough inherited a squad of 39 first-team professionals, a wage bill in excess of £22-million and a team that had recently won only once in a whole year.

Underperforming, overpaid players"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> had to be moved on and the squad rebuilt. Of all the players to have departed during Clough's reign, only Kris Commons can claim to have played regularly at a higher level since.

It is also worth reminding ourselves that, as Derby manager, Billy Davies spent around £20m (including wages) on flops Claude Davis, Kenny Miller and Robert Earnshaw alone.

In contrast, Clough has picked up reliable performers from the lower leagues such as Jake Buxton and John Brayford and integrated youngsters Jeff Hendrick and Will Hughes into the team.

Reducing the club's outgoings while remaining competitive on the field was always going to be difficult but gradual progress has been made. Generally, the performances on the pitch have been of a higher quality season on season, even if the points total does not reflect this.

The team has already scored nine more goals"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> this season than in the whole of last season, which demonstrates a more expansive brand of football than in previous years.

The performance of the under-18s in this year's FA Youth"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1" alt="lb_icon1"> Cup is further evidence that the long-term strategy adopted by Clough is showing promise.

I believe that the quiet majority of supporters"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> share the view that, with Clough at the helm, the club is in safe hands and that the team is close to being successful.

Unfortunately, the minority sometimes shout loudest. During the recent winless run of eight games, I saw many fans on social media outlets suggest that other managers, such as the then out of work Nigel Adkins or Paolo Di Canio, would be more successful.

Many pointed to Adkins' success at Ssausagehorpe, where he had resources relative to Clough's at his disposal.

However, it is also worth noting that Adkins managed the team when they were relegated from the Championship in 2008, while Di Canio has displayed a volatile temperament during a relatively short managerial career.

One can only hope that Sam Rush and the club's owners remain supportive of Clough and afford him the time to build upon the strong foundations he has laid.

Having endured many ups and downs as a Derby supporter, I share Gary Neville's view – stability is not boring. Nigel Clough should be applauded for the job he is doing.

time to get behind everything that we , as fans should stand for!!!!!

come on you rams

changed font size

I cant stand these patronising reports telling people whether Clough is doing a good job or not.

I've got my reasons as to why I dont think he's the man to take us forward, which I believe are perfectly valid. People who do think he's the man to take us forward have got their reasons, fair enough, I think they're wrong.

We'll find out one day who was right.

Hi Mostyn,

Is Jeremy Kyle not on this morning or something?

Getting the best out of players...

Ward?????

Brayford??????

Buxton?????

Hendrick?????

Bryson?????

Frank Feilding?????

Are you saying he hasn't got the best out of these players?

Sometimes it's a gamble and a player doeesn't work at a club due to there position circumstances or family.. Doesn't mean the manager hasn't had an impact.

Brian Clough was a master at it. (Not saying Nigel is anywhere as good as his dad) Do you not think he has learn't a few things from his dad?

Did you learn anything from your parents?

I think everyone learns something from there parents and take that through life with them.

What are you going to say next season when Clough comes good for us? are you going to say "I got it wrong i'm sorry" or are you going to hide behind the rock you appeared from?

Sorry I don't want to come across as, what some of you would call, a "Clough hater". I just think he should be judged on what he does and what happens in the pitch not on an article by Gary Neville (who I respect) saying stability is key. No manager should be in place for stability only.

Hi Mostyn,

Is Jeremy Kyle not on this morning or something?

Getting the best out of players...

Ward?????

Brayford??????

Buxton?????

Hendrick?????

Bryson?????

Frank Feilding?????

Are you saying he hasn't got the best out of these players?

Sometimes it's a gamble and a player doeesn't work at a club due to there position circumstances or family.. Doesn't mean the manager hasn't had an impact.

Brian Clough was a master at it. (Not saying Nigel is anywhere as good as his dad) Do you not think he has learn't a few things from his dad?

Did you learn anything from your parents?

I think everyone learns something from there parents and take that through life with them.

What are you going to say next season when Clough comes good for us? are you going to say "I got it wrong i'm sorry" or are you going to hide behind the rock you appeared from?

Good morning WestLondonRam,

Allow me to quote my statement "I'd have also rather have a manager who was capable of getting the best out of those expensive flops instead of ridding the squad of quality and creativity." Where did I mention him not getting the best out of the current bunch of ordinary workhorses?

I learned a lot from my parents, including the difference between "there", "their", and "they're".

As for Clough 'coming good', really? With Clough, we will ONLY get stability, not improvement. But I would love to be proven wrong. I'm no coward, and was prepared to eat masses of humble pie after 20 minutes of the opening game of this season, but then Negative Nigel's impact brought me back around to my senses!

Cause the thread is called "at last some sense" thought I'd post this on here.

Nigel Clough - “I think we are at that stage where we have got enough youngsters in the squad and coming through from the Academy. So any targets we have this summer will be experienced Championship players.”

Don't know about anyone else, but that's music to my ears, finally he realizes. Praise the lord!

:)

Well only time will tell. Do you think the sort of players he has been touted as looking at in the last few weeks is a sign of what is to come next season.

Do you not think we have the focal point of a good squad coming together with a few older heads coming in over the summer?

I think you need to keep calm and wait until next season before making a judgement.

NEXT YEAR IS DERBY'S YEAR...

Well only time will tell. Do you think the sort of players he has been touted as looking at in the last few weeks is a sign of what is to come next season.

Do you not think we have the focal point of a good squad coming together with a few older heads coming in over the summer?

I think you need to keep calm and wait until next season before making a judgement.

NEXT YEAR IS DERBY'S YEAR...

So what do you expect of next season? Play offs at least?

If that doesnt happen will you admit you were wrong?

Archived