The 6 philpott children appreciation

ChaddesdenRam

Don't think it has been mentioned on the forum.

An idea has been going round that on the 6th minute at the next home game, so Ipswich derby fans should have 1 minutes silence or 1 minutes clapping.

If everybody is made aware of this and it is actually going to happen I was thinking of emailing the club to see whether they could have the 6 children's picture up on the big screen at 6 minutes???

Everybodies thoughts? Is it a good idea or should we leave it?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'd take part. However, I don't think clapping would be appropriate, a minute's silence would be nicer. Clapping just wouldn't sit right with me.

No clapping? How come

The only thing I would say against a 1 minute silence is that not everyone will be made aware by Saturday so it could be an absolute shambles.

No clapping? How come

The only thing I would say against a 1 minute silence is that not everyone will be made aware by Saturday so it could be an absolute shambles.

It just really wouldn't sit right with me. Clapping, to me, is to celebrate something. And I know sometimes they have clapping but that's to celebrate the deceased's life. These kids didn't really have that much of a life, they were that young. If a football legend dies = clap. If 6 kids die = silence.

Having said that, I wouldn't not take part. I'm not that much of a dick :lol:

I'm not sure.

This should have been done when it first happened. Seems sad that we're basically having a minutes applause/silence on the back of those 3 being found guilty nearly a year later. It's almost what Mick Philpott would want.

It'd be superb for the club to do something by way of remembering the children - donating ticket sales from one of the summer friendlies to a relevant charity, holding a match in their honour, doing something with the school(s) the kids were at. Particularly as they supported Derby.

It just feels like the wrong timing. Bit like the Everton thing when the Hillsborough case was re opened. A really moving, (literally) tear jerking gesture, but for what? Should have been done on an anniversary.

As a club and a city we have a responsibility to do something, I think. Just needs to be the right thing.

It just really wouldn't sit right with me. Clapping, to me, is to celebrate something. And I know sometimes they have clapping but that's to celebrate the deceased's life. These kids didn't really have that much of a life, they were that young. If a football legend dies = clap. If 6 kids die = silence.

Having said that, I wouldn't not take part. I'm not that much of a dick :lol:

I would agree, but thinking about it, if I died I'd rather people clapped my memory during a football match than sat in silence.

If you were to announce the silence at the beginning of the match, then I'm sure both sets of fans would respect that.

I'm not sure.

This should have been done when it first happened. Seems sad that we're basically having a minutes applause/silence on the back of those 3 being found guilty nearly a year later. It's almost what Mick Philpott would want.

It'd be superb for the club to do something by way of remembering the children - donating ticket sales from one of the summer friendlies to a relevant charity, holding a match in their honour, doing something with the school(s) the kids were at. Particularly as they supported Derby.

It just feels like the wrong timing. Bit like the Everton thing when the Hillsborough case was re opened. A really moving, (literally) tear jerking gesture, but for what? Should have been done on an anniversary.

As a club and a city we have a responsibility to do something, I think. Just needs to be the right thing.

spot on

It doesn't seem the right thing to do for me. It should have happened when the kids died, it would just be seen as a celebration of the guilty parties being sent down. Personally, it galls that Philpott was seen so many times wearing a Derby shirt - I would rather we just let it go rather than jumping on to it in the manner suggested.

We had a minutes silence for the two girls that Ian Huntley killed, purely because they "liked football".

These kids that died were Derby fans and attended games. I'm pretty sure had they died during the season we'd have had a minutes silence.

They died two weeks after last season ended.

Archived