Connor Doyle getting a new contract.

joeb93

Cant judge him in 1st 11 can we . Seemed to remember him once in 1st team start at Posh away when Bucko was right back .. Theos game he scored 2 and missed hatrick chance .. This is on memory so correct me if im wrong. Doyle and Bucko were poor that day. PS Think we lost 3-2 or 4-3 was one of my standing away days behind the goal .

I have never seen him play in his favoured position hence why I withhold judgement on him

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant judge him in 1st 11 can we  .     Seemed to remember him once in 1st team start at Posh away when Bucko was right back ..  Theos game he scored 2 and missed hatrick chance ..  This is on memory so correct me if im wrong.   Doyle and Bucko were poor that day.  PS   Think we lost 3-2 or 4-3 was one of my standing away days behind  the goal .

2-0 up, lost 3-2. Doyle was in some bizarre RWB role, and you're right, he was pants.

Can't expect too much of a player playing so woefully out of position though, can you?

I'd rather he be let go, and use his wages which would probably be around £2000 - £3,000 and offer them to someone like Brayford to sign a new contract, as I'd much rather him stay than a 22 year old American that has barely featured.

I'd rather he be let go, and use his wages which would probably be around £2000 - £3,000 and offer them to someone like Brayford to sign a new contract, as I'd much rather him stay than a 22 year old American that has barely featured.

He will be on nothing like that money.

Thanks .  

I would give him another season to prove himself hes a decent lad.

He needs an injury free season.

Didn't he have peritonitis / appendicitis which is nasty and takes some getting over

PS Difficult to judge him out of position yes.          Hes a Striker and has scored a few for U21s

My post was only in response to yours - wasn't proving a point. A second read and I see it may come across as that, so apologies if so.

I agree with you. Prove himself next year, if not, off he goes. It's been fairly risk free given his wages.

My big concern is the pressure he'll be under - given the way some people moronically berate Sammon, it doesn't bode well for a young striker who's waited ages for his big shot.

Saw him play around an hour away at P'borough last season and it was  - no exaggeration - the worst performance I've ever seen from a professional footballer. 

I know he played slightly out of position on the right side of midfield, but he had no positional sense whatsoever (at one stage Bryson was in their corner flag and Doyle was stood on the halfway line looking lost), no composure and dreadful control.  How the hell we avoided conceding in the first half is beyond me, since Posh had about 4 clear cut chances which all involved a mistake from Doyle at some stage.

Out of position or not, that performance was unacceptable for a professional.  I don't blame Doyle though, and would never give him stick.  It was Clough's fault for sticking with him when he was so clearly getting murdered every time they got the ball.

Saw him play around an hour away at P'borough last season and it was  - no exaggeration - the worst performance I've ever seen from a professional footballer. 

I know he played slightly out of position on the right side of midfield, but he had no positional sense whatsoever (at one stage Bryson was in their corner flag and Doyle was stood on the halfway line looking lost), no composure and dreadful control.  How the hell we avoided conceding in the first half is beyond me, since Posh had about 4 clear cut chances which all involved a mistake from Doyle at some stage.

Out of position or not, that performance was unacceptable for a professional.  I don't blame Doyle though, and would never give him stick.  It was Clough's fault for sticking with him when he was so clearly getting murdered every time they got the ball.

If that's the worst you've ever seen, you're a lucky man!

He was pretty ****, but he wasn't slightly out of position, was he? He's a striker, playing right midfield. It's badly out of position. Not even in the same third of the pitch as his natural place.

We were pretty hard hit with injuries at the time I seem to recall - so whoever was playing there was going to be out of position.

Doyle could be good as a striker.

He has not been given a chance, we cannot judge.

He has played RM/RW away at Peterborough and Huddersfield and was useless, we can judge that he is not even a professional football standard in that position.

He has played CAM vs Tranmere for 15 minutes. Looked ok, had a decent touch and knew where to pass. Got an assist through to Bennett.

As soon as he plays ST/CF we can judge him, for now he is scoring in the under 21s and will be on a low wage, a new contract in fine.

Doyle could be good as a striker.

He has not been given a chance, we cannot judge.

He has played RM/RW away at Peterborough and Huddersfield and was useless, we can judge that he is not even a professional football standard in that position.

He has played CAM vs Tranmere for 15 minutes. Looked ok, had a decent touch and knew where to pass. Got an assist through to Bennett.

As soon as he plays ST/CF we can judge him, for now he is scoring in the under 21s and will be on a low wage, a new contract in fine.

100% agree, he may get a start up front on the last day or towards the end of the season. Give him a proper watch in his position and then judge him, he may surprise you. 

If he scores goals in the U21 league why is Clough never giving him a proper chance? If we do end up bringing in another striker in the summer that does not have a goal to game ratio of 1 in 3 I will be quite annoyed at Clough. 

Sammon

Ward

Martin or New

Bennett

Doyle

+Jacobs can play up top

Ball - undecided...give him another year. 

We don't need any more strikers than this. 

If that's the worst you've ever seen, you're a lucky man!

He was pretty ****, but he wasn't slightly out of position, was he? He's a striker, playing right midfield. It's badly out of position. Not even in the same third of the pitch as his natural place.

We were pretty hard hit with injuries at the time I seem to recall - so whoever was playing there was going to be out of position.

Playing out of position isnt an excuse for poor ball control and giving it away. 

You would have hoped he'd have made more of an impact in the small amount of chances he's had to do so, but if he's giving him a new contract you'd think more chances are coming. 

Playing out of position isnt an excuse for poor ball control and giving it away. 

You would have hoped he'd have made more of an impact in the small amount of chances he's had to do so, but if he's giving him a new contract you'd think more chances are coming. 

If you're in the wrong position but that's not an excuse for playing poorly, why isn't everyone an expert in every position? Ridiculous to suggest there's no excuse for being **** when you're not playing where you're meant to.

If you're in the wrong position but that's not an excuse for playing poorly, why isn't everyone an expert in every position? Ridiculous to suggest there's no excuse for being **** when you're not playing where you're meant to.

There are different ways to play poorly.

A supposed striker should be able to receive the ball and play it to a team member, no matter what position he's playing in. If we swapped any of our midfielders and strikers around, I'd expect them to not be as effective in their different position, probably even play badly, but being able to control the ball and pass it to a team mate is basic football. Conor Doyle struggled with this at Peterborough. 

Archived