Alleged Racist Ferdinand Chants

Day

FIFA have received a complaint about alleged racist chanting by England fans during Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against San Marino.

Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) have contacted the world governing body amid reports visiting supporters directed racist abuse at England defender Rio Ferdinand and his brother Anton.

"We have sent a report in relation to racist chanting towards Ferdinand and his brother," a FARE spokesperson said.

"It's under FIFA jurisdiction so in the end it's their decision whether they open proceedings or not."

It is thought Rio may have been targeted by some England fans angered by his decision to withdraw from Roy Hodgson's squad for the World Cup double-header against San Marino and Montenegro.

Ferdinand declined the opportunity of a first cap since June 2011 in order to follow a pre-planned fitness routine designed to help him manage his long-standing back problems.

The 34-year-old drew criticism from some fans when he then flew out to Doha to appear as a TV pundit for the San Marino match.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/8603503/FIFA-receive-complaint-about-alleged-racist-chanting-by-England-fans

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why they'd have a go at Rio - refusing to join the England squad - but why bring Anton into it.

Unless of course they were Chelsea John Terry worshippers.

They put Rio on top and then needed someone in the middle. Someone ugly, some one rubbish..

...or someone black?!?!?

In this case, the whole thing is bloody nonsense - it isn't, and never has been, a song with racist connotations.

The quoted 'build a bonfire' bit is the chorus, and the actual song went along the lines of...

"Come to <our school>,

Come to <our school>,

It is very, very nice.

If it wasn't for the teachers

It would be a paradise.

Build a bonfire,

Build a bonfire,

Put the teachers on the top,

Put the prefects in the middle

And burn the bloody lot"

So now I'm a bloody racist too. Arses. 

There was an army version too that went...

...Put the RSM on top

Put the sergeants in the middle

etc

because all teachers and NCOs are black, aren't they?

England fans face lockout over alleged racist chants in World Cup qualifier

England may have to play a World Cup qualifier behind closed doors following allegations of racist chanting during last week's World Cup qualifier against San Marino.

Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) have contacted FIFA amid reports visiting supporters directed racist abuse at England defender Rio Ferdinand and his brother Anton.

Last week, football's world governing body forced Bulgaria to play Malta behind closed doors after finding their fans guilty of racist chants during October's World Cup qualifier against Denmark.

And in January, Hungary were fined £27,800 and made to play a World Cup qualifying match against Romania in an empty stadium after FARE lodged a complaint over anti-Semitic chants by their fans during a match with Israel last August.

Three of England's remaining four World Cup qualifiers are at Wembley, with the first on 6 September against Moldova.

FARE's executive director Piara Power said: "We have pulled together evidence sent to us, including media comment, and have passed that on to FIFA.

"It's not really the sort of thing we are generally attuned to looking at - fans abusing players of their own country who may not have been picked.

"We have a duty to report things that are said to us because individuals have reported them as racist or xenophobic. FIFA, in the last couple of incidents, have shown a stronger side. That's quite rare to have a major tournament qualifier behind closed doors.

"We would say racism and other forms of discrimination is not always banana throwing and monkey chants. It can be very subtle and the people collating the reports believed it is strong enough to send on to FIFA.

"From the reports we have seen, I personally think there was an undercurrent of race there, and other people have thought that it has been imbued with racist overtones."

It is thought Manchester United defender Ferdinand may have been targeted by some England fans angered by his decision to withdraw from Roy Hodgson's squad for the World Cup double-header against San Marino and Montenegro.

Ferdinand declined the opportunity of a first cap since June 2011 in order to follow a pre-planned fitness routine designed to help him manage his long-standing back problems.

The 34-year-old drew criticism from some fans when he then flew out to Doha to appear as a TV pundit for the San Marino match.

All aboard for the Anti-English bandwagon. :rolleyes:

What's racist about the bonfire song? It's crass and all that, but race/colour isn't mentioned. Or is there a new version?

Got to hold my hands up. I am guilty as charged with singing racist songs. I sang Bar Bar Black Sheep to my missises grand daughter and got told it is woolly sheep now. Obviously when i was a kid and I learnt that nusury rhyme it influenced me in later life and that is why I am toying with the idea of moving to america and joining up with the klu klux klan.

"We would say racism and other forms of discrimination is not always banana throwing and monkey chants. It can be very subtle and the people collating the reports believed it is strong enough to send on to FIFA."

In other words...we have no evidence of actual racist chanting so we going with the guilty until proven innocent angle. *****.

Archived