Mixed emotions for Derby striker as England defeat Portugal 1-0

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you fishing ?

No, I broke my ankle to a challenge very similar..

He got absolutely nowhere near the ball, infact the ball was going in the opposite direction..

That sort of tackle would get a red anywhere in world football.. It's got nothing to do with contact/non-contact rubbish it's about protecting the players on the pitch.. It was reckless and could have done some damage, he deserved to go.

It's late, it's from behind, and the ball was gone. It's a young striker going for the ball and screwing it up.

In the Prem or the Championship it'd probably be a yellow and a warning, considering his age. Internationally that's a red.

Can't complain too much with the decision, and the Portugese lad didn't roll around anymore than you'd expect if he got clattered, I've seen far worse play acting than that. That would've hurt.

Telling off, no card. Had every right to challenge for the ball. It wasn't from behind it was from the side, yet he was still in front of him. You can see that he was trying to get his foot in front of the ball and stop it. Kept his feet low. The player who was fouled wasn't trying to play the ball, he got caught out and was looking for the foul with a desperate touch before the tackle. No desperate touch and it would be a great timed tackle.  If you slow it down you can see their is minimal contact, he basically gets his toes caught under Mason's boot. Mason's studs and boot are facing away from the player. 

I blame clough. how much more ill discipline to we have to take. actually, to make me sound more knowledgeable, im gonna blame andy garner for this. but clough appointed him so its ultimately his fault.

Sorry, ive got nothing else as we won the last match. You should have seen me if we had lost to leicester! Hey maybe i can slag clough off about our terrible injury record?

No, I broke my ankle to a challenge very similar..

He got absolutely nowhere near the ball, infact the ball was going in the opposite direction..

That sort of tackle would get a red anywhere in world football.. It's got nothing to do with contact/non-contact rubbish it's about protecting the players on the pitch.. It was reckless and could have done some damage, he deserved to go.

I suggest watching a game like netball if challenges like that offend you.

Nowhere near the ball? Studs up? Have you even watched it?

As I said 20 years ago this would not have even been a yellow card.

You wouldn't of  had this in the 70's, although from the referees view and assuming he is not English then he would give a red with no second thought. Also I don't think the England players should have protested to the referee, when I was taught to play I was taught to play to the whistle.

You wouldn't of  had this in the 70's, although from the referees view and assuming he is not English then he would give a red with no second thought. Also I don't think the England players should have protested to the referee, when I was taught to play I was taught to play to the whistle.

Well the whistle had gone for the foul so they stopped playing and started arguing with the ref which is fair enough.

It was a worse decision really than Nani's against Real Madrid the only difference was unlike Nani's it wasnt high profile and it didnt , luckily ,change the result.

I suggest watching a game like netball if challenges like that offend you.

Nowhere near the ball? Studs up? Have you even watched it?

As I said 20 years ago this would not have even been a yellow card.

netball and basketball is non-contact..

That challenge was nowhere near the ball, studs in on his leg at pace, and a follow through.. It was an ankle breaker..

You go play football and then recieve a challenge like that and let's see how you react eh.. I'm telling you, I broke my ankle to a challenge very similar to that.. I didn't 'roll around on the floor' and I didn't get up immediately to tell the ref it was a good challenge.. It was feckin horrific..

Deserved red card which he would have recieved in Spain, Italy, Frane, Germany, anywhere apart from the PL where they've still got the thuggish mentality that these challenges are acceptable

That challenge was nowhere near the ball, studs in on his leg at pace, and a follow through.. It was an ankle breaker..

You go play football and then recieve a challenge like that and let's see how you react eh.. I'm telling you, I broke my ankle to a challenge very similar to that.. I didn't 'roll around on the floor' and I didn't get up immediately to tell the ref it was a good challenge.. It was feckin horrific..

Deserved red card which he would have recieved in Spain, Italy, Frane, Germany, anywhere apart from the PL where they've still got the thuggish mentality that these challenges are acceptable

I played football at a decent level, was an attacker and more often than not I was able to nick the ball away from the tackler. I got tackled like this all the time. It's part and parcel of the game because it's a contact sport. If he gets the ball, and crunches their player too, it gives a lift to the whole team.

A hard tackle should always be part of the game, and I say that as someone who has had plenty of them against me. Cutting out hard tackles will make for a poorer game, its already gone too far the wrong way in my opinion.

Mason's tackle, it's a yellow in my view, slightly mistimed but by a split second, there wasn't any intent, it wasn't two footed, just a hard tackle. At any level, wherever you're playing it was a yellow card, the ref seemed to be swayed by the Portuguese player being injured in my opinion.

I played football at a decent level, was an attacker and more often than not I was able to nick the ball away from the tackler. I got tackled like this all the time. It's part and parcel of the game because it's a contact sport. If he gets the ball, and crunches their player too, it gives a lift to the whole team.

A hard tackle should always be part of the game, and I say that as someone who has had plenty of them against me. Cutting out hard tackles will make for a poorer game, its already gone too far the wrong way in my opinion.

Mason's tackle, it's a yellow in my view, slightly mistimed but by a split second, there wasn't any intent, it wasn't two footed, just a hard tackle. At any level, wherever you're playing it was a yellow card, the ref seemed to be swayed by the Portuguese player being injured in my opinion.

I understand that hard tackles will happen.. Although I believe taht in some countries it's not particularly necessary, especially in Spain and Italy where the ball is genuinely won through interceptions rather that tackles like that as not many players have poor dribbling skills..

But a tackle can be won like you say by foremost winning the ball and putting the player on his backside.. That could fire a team up you're right..

But Mason got absolutely nowhere near the ball and was sure as hell (with not intent) going to injure the player.. Some of the challenges these days make me cringe and whince when they get nowhere near the ball.. But what's worse is the acceptance for it by fans saying that 'it's a contact sport therefore it's OK'

But Mason got absolutely nowhere near the ball and was sure as hell (with not intent) going to injure the player.. Some of the challenges these days make me cringe and whince when they get nowhere near the ball.. But what's worse is the acceptance for it by fans saying that 'it's a contact sport therefore it's OK'

I don't think Mason was nowhere near the ball, it was there to be won because the ball had got away from the player, it was also a tackle from the side and if you look his motion is in front of the player to start with, where the ball was and his momentum continues forward as the player also continues forward leading to the contact. Basically he went for the ball and they came together, a truly bad tackle would have seen Mason take the man out first directly on his lower leg.

I don't disagree that there are some awful tackles these days, where players genuinely try to go in feet off the floor either front on to a player or from behind. I'm just not convinced this tackle was anything more than slightly mistimed. The player might well have been injured but I think in this case that swayed the ref more than the tackle itself, which wasn't as bad as you have made out. Mistimed tackles are part of the game and I don't think players should be punished severely for trying to tackle.

Hopefully it is a good learning experience for Mason, whether he deserved red or not, his aggression is a good part of his game but it's sometimes useful to be reminded it needs keeping in check some times.

I know they are non contact...hence why I suggested you stick to watching them.

Ankle breaker, I assume the guy didn't carry on playing then? Any news on when he will be out of plaster?

Or maybe the countries that you mentioned have forgotten that its a man's game?

Archived