Q and A with Sam rush

Yep ? At the flowerpot

Lots of discussion about ST pricing for oap's nothing new really

Renewalls trending to 90% of last season sales

New ST holders attracted to the South Stand - that area almost sold out.

Seemed unconcerned about loss of revenue from renewals moving to cheap seats - that depends of course on how many new ST holders take up seats and how many people still pay the increased prices (Oap/disabled/recategorisatiom)

Aim to retain players and add to squad - but if £8m offered for Hendrick will sell (but not for £2m but think carefully of offered £5m). No talk of Brayford being sold bit I guess the same applies

Talking to Brayf about extending contract

salmon has cost £2m this year.

SR promised that the team will be better next year.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume you mean the cost for Sammon - 15k a week wages from some quick maths

I posted this is another thread....

Ok so we shall do a bit of mathematics.

If Sammon cost us a total of 2 million this year. 

Lets firstly take the reported total of 1.2 million as the transfer fee paid to Wigan. 

That leaves 800,000.

Within that 800,000 there will be a signing on fee, I honestly don't know the usual amount but I could guess at around100,000.

That means 700,000 on wages for one year. 

700,000/52 gives around 13k

So apparently Sammon is on 13k a week. 

Feel free to absolutely obliterate my numbers and say my calculations are wrong

The trouble with all these figures - though your maths is fine Shabash - is that we just don't know, and never will know, the deal.

We don't know how much was paid to Wigan upfront and the rest over what terms (this might be clearer in future year's accounts but it will probably still be educated guesswork); we don't know how Derby funded that deal and what the terms of that funding was/is, and over what period; we have no idea of what Sammon's contract is - his weekly/monthly payments, any bonuses, any appearance money, any allowance for agent's fees, any goal (he has scored some) bonuses he gets, any money for league position, any image rights, any international cap/squad payments he gets etc etc.

And from the comment above we have no idea what SR was including in his overall figure on these and many other areas that go with employing anyone. So it might be £13k a week that he gets in his hand - and good luck to him if it is - but it might also be a lot less, or more. Unless Sammo chooses to tell us, and he won't, we will never know.

Yep ? At the flowerpot

Lots of discussion about ST pricing for oap's nothing new really

Renewalls trending to 90% of last season sales

New ST holders attracted to the South Stand - that area almost sold out.

Seemed unconcerned about loss of revenue from renewals moving to cheap seats - that depends of course on how many new ST holders take up seats and how many people still pay the increased prices (Oap/disabled/recategorisatiom)

Aim to retain players and add to squad - but if £8m offered for Hendrick will sell (but not for £2m but think carefully of offered £5m). No talk of Brayford being sold bit I guess the same applies

Talking to Brayf about extending contract

salmon has cost £2m this year.

SR promised that the team will be better next year.

Interesting point on Sammon-is he talking about the cost,or what was actually shelled out in cash terms? The latter would represent any wages/bonuses and the amount of. up front all inclusive fee.Looking at that figure,it would surely have to indicate the whole paid up front,which would be a bit surprising as we've always seemed to owe clubs fairly substantial amounts on player transfers each year end.

The actual cost for the year would be wages/bonuses plus a quarter (assuming 4 year contract) of the all inclusive fee-hardly likely to amount to £2m. I have to chuckle when I recall the reasons given at the time for not revealing transfer fees and players' wages,yet here we have a CEO apparently going out of his way (unprompted) to give other clubs/agents guidelines as to what we pay.

The Hendrick business is even more astonishing,and we can certainly take it  that no club would offer £8m if we would dither on £5m.Either pretty poor work or ,perhaps, flying a kite.I doubt we'll get too much decent in without selling (purely my opinion).

Of course all of the above relies on an accurate representation of what SR said-not doubting davenport,merely covering myself.

Renewals trending to 90% sounds a bit better than 10% down.

Interesting point on Sammon-is he talking about the cost,or what was actually shelled out in cash terms? The latter would represent any wages/bonuses and the amount of. up front all inclusive fee.Looking at that figure,it would surely have to indicate the whole paid up front,which would be a bit surprising as we've always seemed to owe clubs fairly substantial amounts on player transfers each year end.

The actual cost for the year would be wages/bonuses plus a quarter (assuming 4 year contract) of the all inclusive fee-hardly likely to amount to £2m. I have to chuckle when I recall the reasons given at the time for not revealing transfer fees and players' wages,yet here we have a CEO apparently going out of his way (unprompted) to give other clubs/agents guidelines as to what we pay.

The Hendrick business is even more astonishing,and we can certainly take it  that no club would offer £8m if we would dither on £5m.Either pretty poor work or ,perhaps, flying a kite.I doubt we'll get too much decent in without selling (purely my opinion).

Of course all of the above relies on an accurate representation of what SR said-not doubting davenport,merely covering myself.

Renewals trending to 90% sounds a bit better than 10% down.

potentially rush said we would accept 8 million and seriously consider 5 million when really he doesn't believe that.

Instead he would actually just accept 5 million.

potentially rush said we would accept 8 million and seriously consider 5 million when really he doesn't believe that.

Instead he would actually just accept 5 million.

I wouldn't have thought it would make much sense to indicate what we might accept,just in case someone came in with a foolish offer (and I know £8m would be unlikely).

Talking of potential prices for some of our better players had me looking at the book value as at 30/6/12.Total,all inclusive,original cost of the entire squad came in at £5.949m,and after accumulated amortisation charges the net book value stood at £2.436m.Unfortunately I can't give guidance on the current position,mainly because we don't know the original costs of sales (though the same exercise in a year's time should be interesting).

Whichever of the 2 figures you take (and the net one does take account of the fact that we've had past use/value out of the players in question) ,it appears to me that the current resale value of the whole lot may exceed it by a country mile-food for thought for those who question Clough's ability in the market.

Now I know some will point out that Academy players were already here,but Clough has introduced and brought out the latent value in these players.I can assure everyone it's many a moon since we've had a squad with higher resale value than book value.

I wouldn't have thought it would make much sense to indicate what we might accept,just in case someone came in with a foolish offer (and I know £8m would be unlikely).

I reckon rush knows what he is doing in fairness.

He has to take these things into account, so should he be more honest with the fans to increase season ticket sales or should he take the glick spinning approach to give nothing away while others like Appelby talk up the playoffs.

I wonder if he's including all costs, including agents fees?

15% of 1.2m is 180k. That would reduce the weekly salary to about 10k. Still hefty enough.

The £3.6m overall figure disclosed in PBSE would have included League levies/agents' fees.As I've pointed out before I've noticed that in the past this has sometimes amounted to up to 25% of the transfer fees.One should also bear in mind that agents' fees would also apply to frees/nominal fees/compensation fees -I'm thinking of O'Connor and the 3 young lads here.Personally I'd find it quite hard to fit a £1.2m (transfer fee only) into what's left,after taking other fees into account,but we'll have a better impression come the next accounts.

@NMtherams on Twitter went to a Sam Rush Q&A - 

#dcfc are looking at around 6 additions in the summer, improving experience-youth balance. 2 defenders, 2 midfielders & 2 strikers

#dcfc want a senior pro in midfield. They hope to sign Forsyth. They want a more physical side. Martin has remaining games to prove himself.

Person on Twitter went to a Sam Rush Q&A - 

#dcfc are looking at around 6 additions in the summer, improving experience-youth balance. 2 defenders, 2 midfielders & 2 strikers

#dcfc want a senior pro in midfield. They hope to sign Forsyth. They want a more physical side. Martin has remaining games to prove himself.

Any names mentioned or bandied about?

Archived