We're not a great team, but we're not a poor team either

WilkoRam

That doesn't sound pleasant, I fear I've ventured into something I shouldn't have here.

Yeah well if you've got any sense you won't go back. I'm sure he can hold a perfectly good argument with himself (the phrase start a fight in an empty room springs to mind) without the need for anyone else to get involved.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love posts like this, absolutely love them.

Reports about Wood's fee range from £1.1 mil all the way upto £2 mil (normally as £1.5 mil rising to £2 mil), with him being on rather high wages.

We have one media figure for Sammon of £1.2 mil, the only reference I can find for this seems to come from the Mirror, but was picked up by several sites.

So, what do we do?

Well, pick the lowest fee we can possibly find for Wood, find the highest for Sammon, instant argument, no effort. Hoorah!

I should also mention that Leicester this season paid in excess of £1 mil for a non-league striker who so far has what... 4 goals?

But no, Wood will be used as an example for years to come by the sounds of it, based on a cherry picked media value. Fantastic.

Sorry carnt help myself here.... I'm not bothered what Woods costs hes gone, but my fishy amigo Sammon I see as Nigels biggest blunder to date... its not the fact he hasnt scored enough goals (I never ever thought he would)...I dont care if he cost 600k or 1.2m its the fact that paid we paid anything above 300k for a forward who cost 600k & then scores 1 goal in 32 games....How the f**k could his value of gone up or stayed the same with that record??? Connor yes connor us into by the *****

I was so p**sed of the day we signed him I sent a rant similar to this to Mr Appleby about just what planet he was on...Since that day I have longed for him to prove me wrong by bagging a stack of goals...but no he still a f in waste of money (in my opinion), I'd like to poach Sammon, reel him in, have him stuffed & placed with "Claude 50p head, bambi on ice legs Davis" in the hall of Derby bad buys.

Talk about the great rock an roll swindle, Dave "silver tongued" Wheelan must have thought he struck the jackpot when he sold us that lemon (sorry I know he's great in some people opinion, but to me he's a red herring to a bull)

Sorry all I will take my medication now...promotion next season any way with Sammon scoring 30 goals & me eating masses of humble pie? Weather was nice this afternoon wasnt it.

Clough's the barrier. He said he doesnt scout players from abroad. I think it was the fans forum last summer.

This is a mis-rememberance. It was me that attended the fan forum in question and relayed the details on here.

Nigel wasn't there and he wasn't mentioned as a factor. I asked if we scouted abroad because it's very apparent that the team is almost exclusively UK & Ireland players.

The answer was given by Mal Brannigan who said that they don't tend to scout overseas anymore (note he didn't say that they ignore the market – clearly Gjokaj is evidence that we can sign foreigners in some circumstances).

The reasons being that the market is very hit and miss and expensive to scout thoroughly. In other words to unearth a diamond, unless you pay for an expensive long-term foreign scouting mission, you are relying on one or two live viewings and showreels, and then hoping that they settle on a personal level AND deliver on the pitch. In other words, for every Stimac and Bainio we've had, there have been many more Grenet's and Daino's

On top of that, he said that the market had changed a lot over the past few years in terms of wages and fees, so it's no longer as economical to pick up lots of cheap foreign players and pay them low wages (on the basis of our low wages still being much higher than what they received in their home country). Player wages and fees seem to have evened out across the world, and that makes it a much riskier strategy.

Let's be honest – if we had 5 foreign players who turned out to be flops then what would the message boards make of that? It'd be "why do we keep buying foreign rubbish!"

I think it being reported before that our scouting 'network' wasn't great but does anyone actually know what our scouting system is like. Other than our policy of generally not scouting abroad due to cost, not getting as much value for money and not able to scout properly as mentioned above.

Just curious what our scouting system is here because if we don't scout abroad partly due to not being able to scout them for long enough then that would suggest we do a lot of scouting on players before we sign them, making, what I consider, a high turnover of attacking players even more interesting.

So Sammon is such a poor signing yet he's the highest DCFC player in the consolidated Actim Index for the whole championship. A bit weird eh?

Weird yes? more insane in my opinion, but then again the world is full of weird & insane stuff.... has your pointing out of Sammons feats in the Actim Index altered my perception of the this great signing.....yes I now think he is the god of all fishes & I want Hugh Fearney Whittingstall to appoint him king fish in his fish campaign...

Not really, I would still like to arrange a pack of starving grizzlies to be waiting for him when he swam up stream. More medication please 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> .

So Sammon is such a poor signing yet he's the highest DCFC player in the consolidated Actim Index for the whole championship. A bit weird eh?

Sammon is crap youth, regardless of what the computer says!

Yawn - it's getting boring now. Idiot fans who only see the goals-scored tally and can't appreciate the rest of a player's game

He's rubbish cos he has no hair... If he had hair he'd be great... Ward has hair, so does Hughes... And O'Connor's rubbish... cos he has no hair...

Archived