The basics... do we get them right?

Mostyn6

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to the title of this thread, yes. The basics are being done, hence why Derby aren't in a relegation battle, you seem stuck in mid-table. There doesn't seem to be a "leader" in the team that will go an extra yard and try something different to go and win the game, which was what I thought last Saturday against Wolves. There was nothing from either team that suggested a goal was coming, maybe its a confidence issue or something that Clough wants installed into his team.

Nigel Clough came out and said the team looked 'shattered' the other day, which is understandable, but I wonder whether it was avoidable.

We depend on a high tempo game, all successful players work hard, all successful teams work hard. We don't have the luxury of a large squad so that we can rotate the team.

Best use of your energy is part of being succesful, careful planning and effective tactics are vital

Under Nigel Clough's management, Derby County have gone through repetitive cycles! We don't know which is next, but they all happen throughout a season

That happens under all managers right from Brian Clough up to the present day. Teams have good spells and harder spells. Teams find something that works and other teams learn to counter it.... that is football. This was an observation, not a criticism.

Another thing I'd like to see is at least three players near the centre circle or halfway line when defending corners. This would pin at least four Bolton players back, and also give us a chance of gaining possession from clearances, as opposed to the general trend of the ball keeps coming back until a shot is missed or the keeper catches the ball.

This might work with eleven year olds but the fact of life is that there would be too much room in the penalty area. The advantage would be with the attacking team rather than the defending team. I suggest you watch a bit more football, from around the world, involving succesful teams. It may be a cliche, but attack is the best from of defence, we've proven to be incapable of defending when everyone is behind the ball.

Bob Biggs, that doesn't make sense to me, are you in favour of keeping managers or changing managers?

Some would argue that keeping a manager hasn't improved anything, whilst Cardiff, Hull, Leicester etc have changed theirs in the last year or two (and spend some money, but that's not the point).

I think all three promoted clubs to the championship had reasonably new managers, as did all three who got promoted from the championship!

Just to be clear, I'm in favour of keeping managers who are worth keeping. So, I'm in favour of keeping Clough because I see very few options given the financial boundaries a manager here has to work within. I'm also in favour of keeping him because I think he's done well.

By all means, give him the millions that Leicester have given their managers and then review if no success.

I don't exactly think getting rid of Clough would be the best idea. Sell the 'dead wood' in the team to fund a move for either a playmaker or a proven goalscorer.

I'd like to know who is 'dead wood' nowadays. Possibly Ben Davies, but personally, he'd have more game time if it was up to me.

I think better utilisation of the squad and resources would go a long way, knowing when to drop a player, knowing when to make a substitution, knowing hwne to spring a tactical surprise... that sort of thing.

I'd like to know who is 'dead wood' nowadays. Possibly Ben Davies, but personally, he'd have more game time if it was up to me.

I think better utilisation of the squad and resources would go a long way, knowing when to drop a player, knowing when to make a substitution, knowing hwne to spring a tactical surprise... that sort of thing.

I don't know to be honest mate, my knowledge on the club as a whole is understandably limited. Never seen Ben Davies play. You make a good point in the second part of your post.

Sammon should stay on the halfway line, taking a couple of their defenders with him. That must help us, given those defenders could probably win a header, where as Sammon, can't...

That is amusingly naive 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> So you would put a 6'2" player on the halfway line and leave 5'4" Ward in the penalty area to defend a corner. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I don't know to be honest mate, my knowledge on the club as a whole is understandably limited. Never seen Ben Davies play. You make a good point in the second part of your post.

I'm not sure there is a deal of dead wood. It's just that the majority of our players are mid table standard, and mainly that's what they were brought in to maintain. If we are to go higher. we need another couple of young ones to make the grade at a higher level [i'd say Hendrick and Hughes are there]; plus 2 or 3 from outside. Anyone got a few million quid they don't want?

Conor Doyle? I suspect from Clough's comments early on in the season he won't be playing with a ram on his shirt for anything beyond the summer.

And I couldn't agree more with the second point. He doesn't seem to quite have the balls to drop one of Hendrick, Hughes or Bryson in order to play with a recognised LM instead of 3 CM's without playing 5 across the middle. We never seem to have a proper impact sub apart from Tyson's little purple patch (Barnsley, Brum) and he's being loaned to Milwall to sponge off their physio room!

That said I'm not a Clough Out type, but some more tactical nouse would be excellent. Maybe he needs a better no.2 to advise him a la Clough/Taylor, or Smith/McLaren.

[size=3] [/size][size=3]I suggest you watch a bit more football, from around the world, involving succesful teams. It may be a cliche, but attack is the best from of defence, we've proven to be incapable of defending when everyone is behind the ball.[/size]

Which teams are you referring to? Do think that if it was as simple as that then all teams would be going flat out on attack. The problem with leaking goals at the moment is down to individual mistakes. Some through young players but some also through our most experienced central defender.

Mostyn6 how did P***** G***** bring about the demise of the DET forum?not heard that before.Hope

I spelt his name right.

Someone said something not very nice about him. By this time DET had pulled the plug and it had evolved to dcfctoday or something. Then someone else said something and the forum owner shut the forum on the threat from his lawyers.

Archived