Loan signings????

Cardifframs

I've just read a quote from the Derby Telegraph.

NIGEL Clough says Derby County will make inquiries about possible targets now the window for emergency loans is open again.

But the Rams manager insists he is happy with his squad if a loan signing is not possible.

Read more: http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-18088607-detail/story.html?#ixzz2KIv2OL3w

Follow us: @DerbyshireNews on Twitter | thisisderbyshirenews on Facebook

That's the ,we won't be signing anybody quote,if ever I saw one !

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly hope so.

Not really aware of anyone that currently needs replacing or additional cover.

No point in loaning people to warm your bench and increase the wage bill.

You are Andy Appleby and I claim my £10

Please feel free to express your opinion on who needs replacing or where we need additional cover...

I'd like to bring in a new LB - as we have no cover for Roberts, and it gives us a chance to look at someone for the summer. I would also like to see a striker if we can get someone of a decent calibre. Simeon Jackson had been mentioned, would be very happy if that happened, but not as critical as a LB. Hope the rumours about Danny Fox were true....

Whilst I agree with G Star we don't need anyone, a loan signing to lift the mood and soften the blow of the ST increase (for some) might be just what the club needs right now.

Personally I'd rather see funds saved for the summer, but then it's not me they are trying to convince into renewing a ST.

I'd like to bring in a new LB - as we have no cover for Roberts, and it gives us a chance to look at someone for the summer. I would also like to see a striker if we can get someone of a decent calibre. Simeon Jackson had been mentioned, would be very happy if that happened, but not as critical as a LB. Hope the rumours about Danny Fox were true....

I agree that left back is a position where we should be looking for cover.

Maybe Clough has Hoganson or Freeman lined up to take on that role next season.

While we are still in with a shout of the play offs, unlikely as it is, Clough is not just going to drop Roberts. If/when it becomes a mathematical impossibility then maybe he will start one of the younger lads there and have Roberts on the bench for cover?

I don't see the point in bringing another striker in. Clough is not likely to drop Sammon or Ward and we already have Theo and Bennett on the bench, I'm not for one minute saying Jackson is not better than them two but I imagine he would have reasonable high wages so why have him sat on your bench?

Clough likes to do his squad strengthening in the summer (the correct approach in my opinion) and the only way I see us having loan signings now is if they are with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

Whilst I agree with G Star we don't need anyone, a loan signing to lift the mood and soften the blow of the ST increase (for some) might be just what the club needs right now.

Personally I'd rather see funds saved for the summer, but then it's not me they are trying to convince into renewing a ST.

G Star? You can call me Mr Appleby or Andy if you like.

I would definitely enquire about loan players, bring 2/3 in like we have done in the past.

I am happy with what we have, but that is 2/3 players playing desperately for a future contract... they'll push for the extra effort, and that could do us the world of gone. I would argue the current team, while settled could become a little stagnant if it looks like the play-offs are out of reach, I don't want to see that.

Why is everyone so happy with the team/squad, we are mid table. Don't you have to look to improve it constantly to get better? We could to be fair win our next 4 games which look tough on paper and be near the play offs, or we could lose then all and be in the bottom half, or most likely pick up a few wins and lose a few and be bang mid table again.

I'm not implying go out and go bust that isn't going to happen but we surely have to look to improve our very average side

Why is everyone so happy with the team/squad, we are mid table. Don't you have to look to improve it constantly to get better? We could to be fair win our next 4 games which look tough on paper and be near the play offs, or we could lose then all and be in the bottom half, or most likely pick up a few wins and lose a few and be bang mid table again.

I'm not implying go out and go bust that isn't going to happen but we surely have to look to improve our very average side

I agree - as much as i rate some of our players, all can be improved upon.

Couldn't agree more, even Cardiff ten points clear should be looking to improve their squad. Surely we should always be looking to improve? Barcelona who are probably the best club side in history are still always striving for more.

We need to get out of this mindset where we are happy being a mid table side. It's alright quoting finances etc, but we are fans. Nothing we can do about finances, if owners want to spend they will, if not they won't! So as fans I feel we should be wanting better players all the time, more investment etc.

Look at Portsmouth will be the answer, but if there fans had said "don't sign so and so, or can we afford it?" would that really have affected their owners and changed their current situation. Probably not if you ask me.

Because some posters dont want us to get promoted, the PL is a nasty world where once we only got a few points, and should we go up there again, the same thing might happen again.

Why should we risk bringing someone in that might improve us as a mid table championship side, we dont need to get better, we are good at home, and winning away would upset the balance, your thought are in danger of giving G-Star / AA, palpations, next thing you will be suggesting that we should be trying to get into the top 6, his world would implode. Please check what you are suggesting in future.

Are you implying that we could win our next four if we sign players, but definitely not if we don't?

How many loan players turn out to be really influential, especially on 90 day deals? It's rare someone comes in and shines, and the ones that do (or have recently - Ward, Fielding, Robinson), we end up signing. Just because Clough's loan deals aren't permanent to start with, I think they generally will just be a pre cursor to a long term contract. Gone (thank God) are the days of bringing in some reject for a few weeks - it's either with one eye on the bigger picture, or not at all.

For every one of the above there's several Priskins, Kakus and Makins, who come and go without a trace.

Don't understand this notion that a loan signing should be made to lift the mood. We should win to lift the mood and we have a team good enough to win matches.

I agree we constantly need to improve but let's look to make the improvements long term ones in the Summer. We're not injury ravaged this season, there's no need to paper over the cracks. We actually have a bit of strength in depth for the first time in a while.

How about being realistic that other clubs are in a far stronger position to secure a play off spot. Use the next 17 games to give Bennett, Freeman, Hoganson some game time and see what they can do. Look at the impact Hughes made, did anyone expect that? Bennett could start banging them in.

Wait for the summer and hit the promotion dreams reset button.

It's alright saying go out and improve the squad now but we haven't got a clue who's actually available out there, maybe just maybe there isn't anyone in our price range available that can improve us. Crazy I know.

I think that Nigel is looking for replacements for Theo, Davies and Roberts. I doubt that any will be here next season. Davies is only back up, so I expect Nigel to sign a cheap lower league youngster - and they will have time to bed in, so no need to sort a 'try before you buy'. If he can get a decent striker and left back in now it probably makes sense to give them a thrre month trial. If they are both better than the players that they would be replacing then our first eleven would start to look pretty strong.

Personally, I would also like to see another striker, plus (depending on Barker's recovery) maybe a centre half. I don't believe that Sammon is good enough if we're going to really compete, and I think that Ward's hamstrings are better suited to a super sub role.

Are you implying that we could win our next four if we sign players, but definitely not if we don't?

How many loan players turn out to be really influential, especially on 90 day deals? It's rare someone comes in and shines, and the ones that do (or have recently - Ward, Fielding, Robinson), we end up signing. Just because Clough's loan deals aren't permanent to start with, I think they generally will just be a pre cursor to a long term contract. Gone (thank God) are the days of bringing in some reject for a few weeks - it's either with one eye on the bigger picture, or not at all.

For every one of the above there's several Priskins, Kakus and Makins, who come and go without a trace.

Don't understand this notion that a loan signing should be made to lift the mood. We should win to lift the mood and we have a team good enough to win matches.

I agree we constantly need to improve but let's look to make the improvements long term ones in the Summer. We're not injury ravaged this season, there's no need to paper over the cracks. We actually have a bit of strength in depth for the first time in a while.

No I'm not implying by signing anyone we would win our next 4 games or if not we will lose. I'm just amazed that so many people are so happy with our very average side and are happy with what we have. I don't see the harm in trying to add more quality now if its available. There are a lot of points to play for. Or shall we just not bother with this season now

Archived