A summary of Sammon's ability

Shooting/finishing - 1/10

Heading - 2/10

Passing - 3/10

First touch/hold up play - 1/10

Pace- 5/10

Strength 4/10

Work rate/endeavour - 10/10

Still can't quite believe Clough wasted £1.2m on this donkey!

Quite correct for me. Apart from pace. I would give him 7/10.

How can Sammon be the biggest attacking threat......when he dont look like scoring ?

Im not knocking his play, but Buxton, Coutts and McCormack were all bigger threats as they scored, sammon didnt look like doing this, even when taking a peno with just the keeper to beat.

He was not useless, and was as good as most other players on the pitch, but in an area where we have been crying out for a goal scorer (which is what NC brought him in for), he continues to dissapoint.

That all said, we won yesterday, so no player for me can be faulted including Sammon who played his part.

I was referring to the entire 90 minutes of football, not isolated incidents, and trying to suggest that while his goalscoring record is poor, there is more to playing up front than simply putting the ball in the back of the net.

I can't, and won't defend his inability to score when he should, but he ran the channels, won plenty of headers, help set up forward moves etc - hence the term attacking threat.

Tbh I don't know exactly what Nigel bought him for - a ruthless 20-plus goal a season man, or a target man who would run his legs off to assist the team? 

Heading - 2/10

Passing - 3/10

Pace- 5/10

Strength 4/10

I would like to summarise your ability as a Sammon reporter:

observation - 1/10

Interpretation - 2/10

Knowledge - 1/10

communication - 5/10

Reliability - 0/10

Still can't quite believe I wasted time on you. 

I find it interesting that you have taken the time to summarise my analysis of Sammon's ability rather than provide your own scores on Sammon's ability.

I wonder why.......is it because deep down you know my scores are correct??? :blink: 

Heading - 2/10

Passing - 3/10

Pace- 5/10

Strength 4/10

Still can't quite believe Clough wasted £1.2m on this donkey!

I would argue from a rating from messi to myself. 

Shooting/Finishing: 4/10

Heading: 4/10

Passing: 5/10

First touch/Hold Up play: 4/10

Pace: 7/10

Strength: 8/10

Work Rate: 9/10

41/70.

Comparable to our best striker in many peoples eyes Ward.

Shooting/Finishing: 6/10

Passing: 6/10

First touch/Hold Up play: 5/10

Strength: 5/10

Work Rate: 5/10

38/70

Strange that? obviously it's my opinion but you could factor in other attributes to put this anyway you want, the point I've made about Sammon and our team - is that he is no better or worse than anyone else in our team. 

Also, got to put you've put his strength down to 4/10 which would make Ward's strength about 2/10.. he for me is our strongest player. 

Ward has 12 goals in 20 matches playing largely as a winger

Sammon has 7 goals in 38 matches playing as a striker

Surely that would indicate that Wards Shooting/Finishing is considerably better than Sammons?

I would argue from a rating from messi to myself. 

Shooting/Finishing: 4/10

Passing: 5/10

First touch/Hold Up play: 4/10

41/70.

Comparable to our best striker in many peoples eyes Ward.

Shooting/Finishing: 6/10

Passing: 6/10

First touch/Hold Up play: 5/10

Strength: 5/10

Work Rate: 5/10

38/70

Strange that? obviously it's my opinion but you could factor in other attributes to put this anyway you want, the point I've made about Sammon and our team - is that he is no better or worse than anyone else in our team. 

Also, got to put you've put his strength down to 4/10 which would make Ward's strength about 2/10.. he for me is our strongest player. 

Ward's heading is far superior to Sammon's. When Jamie gets there, the ball does something usefull. With Sammon being about a foot taller you would expect him to win more in the air than Ward - but he doesn't. However, a lot of this may be due to the best aerial defender marking the big man.

For me Sammon gets

Shooting/Finishing: 2/10

Heading: 3/10

Passing: 7/10

First touch/Hold Up play: 2/10

Pace: 5/10

I think that Sammon is a very limited striker, but I too subscribe to the theory that Sammon would be a usefull midfield destroyer.

Ward has 12 goals in 20 matches playing largely as a winger

Sammon has 7 goals in 38 matches playing as a striker

Surely that would indicate that Wards Shooting/Finishing is considerably better than Sammons?

Ward has a lot of shots that are closer to the corner flags, but he gets more chances for himself than Sammon which is why he scores more goals. 

Ward's heading is far superior to Sammon's. When Jamie gets there, the ball does something usefull. With Sammon being about a foot taller you would expect him to win more in the air than Ward - but he doesn't. However, a lot of this may be due to the best aerial defender marking the big man.

For me Sammon gets

Shooting/Finishing: 2/10

Heading: 3/10

Passing: 7/10

First touch/Hold Up play: 2/10

Pace: 5/10

I think that Sammon is a very limited striker, but I too subscribe to the theory that Sammon would be a usefull midfield destroyer.

And in terms of heading, Ward is smaller but has a bigger leap, Sammon is bigger but has a smaller leap - when they both head the ball, it is usually when they're primed for it. I've seen Sammon play a lot of knock ons, where as Ward throws himself at the ball. Neither are strong in the air though. 

Again, my point.. no player is considerably better than the other. Neither are league one players, neither are premier league players - both are at the level they deserve to be at! 

We won promotion yes... but we scored less goals that season that we have this season yet Sammon still has only a fraction of goals Howard scored

Actually he has close to 50% of what Howard scored, still doesn't alter the fact they both played in different circumstances.

What if we put in an attribute called 'likely to score a goal'.

Ward - 7

Sammon - minus 5

That would change the stats. I am shocked that anyone can rate Sammon higher than Ward. The only category I would say he is better is work rate but if a striker is scoring goals, I couldn't give a hoot what their work rate is.

Anyway, if he scored goals people wouldn't find other ways to defend him. He did get an assist against Leeds though lol

What if we put in an attribute called 'likely to score a goal'.

Ward - 7

Sammon - minus 5

That would change the stats. I am shocked that anyone can rate Sammon higher than Ward. The only category I would say he is better is work rate but if a striker is scoring goals, I couldn't give a hoot what their work rate is.

Anyway, if he scored goals people wouldn't find other ways to defend him. He did get an assist against Leeds though lol

They do different jobs though. Hopefully Martin will play off Sammon next year with Ward out left. If ever we have a natural goal scorer up front(hopefully Martin) then it will also take the pressure off Conor and we can start to really appreciate what he brings to the team.

As an after thought who would you play in a midfield four if Sammon & Martin were up front. We have:

Bavies

Ward

Hughes

Coutts

Hendrick

Bryson

Jacobs

Firstly, I would never have Sammon and Martin up front. Neither of them is good enough for top 6 in my opinion, the team carries them and I want strikers who actually possess a threat to the goal.

As for midfield, Ward on the left, Hendrick and Bryson in the middle and I don't think we have a good enough right midfield. If you really analyse the players, you'll see that Coutts doesn't really offer a lot. He is slow and cumbersome, holds the ball for too long, tries to take on his man, doesn't score enough, and is another player we have been carrying.

I would sell Hughes, and the reason is that I think we are never going to have space in the team for him. He is always going to be 'fit in' and it will unbalance us. If we can get £3 to £4 million I would accept it, invest in midfield and upfront and offload some of the finger players as well. Bavies, Coutts and Jacobs provide suitable back up options.

I also believe Hendrick is our stand out player by far. He can pass the ball, shoot, dribble and control a game. For all Derby fans rave about Will Hughes, look at the contributions made on the pitch between those two players this year. Hendrick has been superb.

To say the team 'carries them' is not an accurate reflection.

A player who is carried might as well not be there - are you seriously suggesting that we would be better off playing with 9?

Eddie - don't talk rubbish.

Our strikers are not scoring goals. Yes they 'work hard' but I m fed up of paying good money to watch players run around.

Clough hasn't a clue on strikers:

Sammon - cant score

Robinson - cant get in Huddersfield team

Tyson - struggling at Millwall

Martin - 1 in 6. (after he scored 1 in 10 at Swindon)

Etc etc

He's not very good at the job he does, and we've spent too much, but he has atleast some use and we're now lumbered with him. Clearly, nothing any one on either side of the fence says is going to change anyone elses mind.

So why this discussion is still going on is beyond me.

Archived