The Big Sammon Thread

Rich3478

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone thinks booing is right then I'm afraid they are past the point of considering "change".

Intelligence levels must be pretty low already and if that's the case no amount of reason will get through.

I'm not looking for a more interesting life, I just want my teams players to be able to play at home without getting crucified.

I wonder how Connor Sammon is feeling this morning after the reaction he got yesterday. Still glad he came to Derby with it's "wonderful" support?

I've defended Sammon all season but tonight I think I've snapped. He was appalling, gave the ball away constantly, didn't look any kind of goal threat even though we dominated the second half and then to cap it all smacked a penalty straight at the keeper. It may be the fact that a half fit striker who hasn't played much this season simply looked a better footballer.

I feel for the guy, I really do, because its not like he's not trying or working hard, but he really does need dropping. For 1.2m, he has been poor value thus far.

Agreed, although I actually admire him for wanting to take the penalty and striking it the way he did. Off the top of my head, it was extremely similar to Ward's penalty against Watford, albeit with the unfortunate addition of Julian Speroni's elbow. Overall, however, he has to go down as a failure. It's just not working.

If someone thinks booing is right then I'm afraid they are past the point of considering "change".

Intelligence levels must be pretty low already and if that's the case no amount of reason will get through.

I'm not looking for a more interesting life, I just want my teams players to be able to play at home without getting crucified.

I wonder how Connor Sammon is feeling this morning after the reaction he got yesterday. Still glad he came to Derby with it's "wonderful" support?

It just depends how the boo is intended. Some people may find it's the only way they can vent there fustration. If people did boo regarding sammon taking the penno. They really need to think about things. If they boo'ed the ref at half time then that is different.

Despite me moaning about Sammon and his missed opportunities, other than that he did have quite a good game. We saw Theo improve a fair bit and I hope Sammon will do the same. As of right now though it is hard to call him a football player. I hope he does focus on his first touch, control, passing and finishing in training because none of it is good enough. Even the slightest improvement in these areas would make a massive differance. 

Given his commitment, try hard attitude, fitness and ability to run, chase and harass right up to the final minute; it is a shame that his technical ability is lacking, because he would be a brilliant forward otherwise and devastating for defenses. 

What is this £1.2m figure being bashed around about? The DET mentioned that figure and then the whole world took it as Gospel. I've heard several times now that the figure is significantly less than that.

Good point Duracell and leads me onto the fact that I think sometimes if it wouldn't benefit the club to have a more visible press officer.  There have been some really wild and divided opinions  developed on certain aspects of what the club is doing right now.

I know it would probably be seen as spin coming out of the club but if they believe it themselves then there needs to be some official statements coming out more often about the spirit and desire within the team and the potential within the squad.

There needs to be a club statement as well letting fans know that booing one of their own will only have a negative effect and if you're going to boo we'd rather take the hit on the gate and have you not show up at all. 

We've got a group of kids learning to play at this level. It's not like they're awful either some of the football is a joy to watch.

it's really not on to boo this set of lads. None of them. Fair enough they may be lacking a bit of quality but you can't be booing someone for trying as hard as they can. It's sick.

What is this £1.2m figure being bashed around about? The DET mentioned that figure and then the whole world took it as Gospel. I've heard several times now that the figure is significantly less than that.

It was in most of the tabloids, and the DET too. I've also heard it was less than that, but only from one source. Even if you take a third of the figure off, and leave it at £800k with add-ons (as I suspect the real deal's something akin to that) it's poor business.

Regardless, that figure will be the death of him, I think. Had we signed Sammon for £450k as we planned to from Kilmarnock, there'd be alot less hate thrown towards him.

I don't like the way fans are turning on Sammon. We didn't sign him to be a 15-20 goals a season player. He provides a completely different option to Ward and I think he always puts in a shift. Sometimes I agree that he looks quite a clumsy player and can be quite frustrating to watch but he's always ready to throw himself into the fray. I can understand fans frustration after the penalty miss last night but I can't really criticise any player's performance. I think every player played with some class and it just wasn't our night. Their goal was fortuitous and it just didn't happen that way for us. We shouldn't blame Sammon regardless of his pricetag. 

I don't like the way fans are turning on Sammon. We didn't sign him to be a 15-20 goals a season player. He provides a completely different option to Ward and I think he always puts in a shift. Sometimes I agree that he looks quite a clumsy player and can be quite frustrating to watch but he's always ready to throw himself into the fray. I can understand fans frustration after the penalty miss last night but I can't really criticise any player's performance. I think every player played with some class and it just wasn't our night. Their goal was fortuitous and it just didn't happen that way for us. We shouldn't blame Sammon regardless of his pricetag.

Me too. Everyone has missed a penalty. It was on target and hit well. Problem was the goalie couldn't get out of the way in time.

I don't like the way fans are turning on Sammon. We didn't sign him to be a 15-20 goals a season player. He provides a completely different option to Ward and I think he always puts in a shift. Sometimes I agree that he looks quite a clumsy player and can be quite frustrating to watch but he's always ready to throw himself into the fray. I can understand fans frustration after the penalty miss last night but I can't really criticise any player's performance. I think every player played with some class and it just wasn't our night. Their goal was fortuitous and it just didn't happen that way for us. We shouldn't blame Sammon regardless of his pricetag. 

Sammon's price tag is irrelevant. If he was free he still shouldn't be playing for us on current form. He doesn't provide an option, what he provides is a break down in our play. His control and heading is so poor that whenver a pass is made to him the opposition just gets the ball back. His shooting is also poor and he doesn't attack the ball in the box, which is why he scores so infrequently. It is wasteful having him on the pitch.

I was 50-50 - I had some sympathy with the idea that he had to deal with average passes whilst taking on multiple defenders. Well last night Chris Martin played under the same conditions and made more useful layoffs and knock downs than Sammon has all season. I don't think a one off penalty miss counts for anything, but I do think three quarters of a season of giving the ball away due to awful control does. Sammon is a poor player and his wastefulness is a large part of the reason that we are failing to progress.

Because that's the figure that went to press at the time, in the locals and nationals, so that's the only thing anyone can go on. If you know better and can back it up, let's hear it.

Contrary to popular belief, the press doesn't just make up figures, they receive guidance from clubs/agents/players

I was at East Stand (D) and didn`t hear anything about Sammon too.

I normally sit in the east but was in the west stand last night, didn't hear anything, my mate who sits with me in the east said he did, it all sounds localised rather that widespread booing as some people are trying to make out. There was a collective raising of eyes to the Heavens probably, but not huge booing

I normally sit in the east but was in the west stand last night, didn't hear anything, my mate who sits with me in the east said he did, it all sounds localised rather that widespread booing as some people are trying to make out. There was a collective raising of eyes to the Heavens probably, but not huge booing

There was a little ironic laughing around me, but no booing

TBH there were a lot of oldies around me.

I guess you can't expect a huge collective booing from them?

"http://s019.radikal.ru/i640/1303/15/fc35c3b145b2" alt="fc35c3b145b2">

Nothing i can say about yesterday`s atmosphere cos i have nothing to compare with.

It was my first ever Pride Park visit. Despite us losing i`ve enjoyed every moment of it. £450 well spent if you ask me.

Waited this moment for 15 years.

Archived