Whats your thoughts on Sam Rush?

Derby born & bred

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a UK Tom Glick I think is a tad harsh, this guy actually knows something about football.

And I thought he did well considering he's had only a week in the job. Maybe I'm just to be considered to be one of the blind faith brigade, but I think he's a genuine guy who really sounds like he cares about the job in hand and shows a great passion in enusring that what we do is done to our benefit and doesn't endanger the club.

Personally I think it would be a bit better to judge him when he's had 2 or 3, maybe even 6 months in the job.

There were some utterly ridiculous questions though.

Harsh if you think TG is/was a bellend. I think he did a good job, and that SR can and will continue that but with more football knowledge. Where they are identical in the context of a fans forum is that they say nothing of any importance - because they can't.

I think after the next 2 transfer windows we'll know more about him and his vision for the club and where he wants to take us. Will he be the owners b*tch or will he work with Clough to take the team/club forward?

Early impressions are good though.

He'll be the owners b*tch AND work with Cloughie - it's what he's here for.

Just a UK Tom Glick I think is a tad harsh, this guy actually knows something about football.

And I thought he did well considering he's had only a week in the job. Maybe I'm just to be considered to be one of the blind faith brigade, but I think he's a genuine guy who really sounds like he cares about the job in hand and shows a great passion in enusring that what we do is done to our benefit and doesn't endanger the club.

Personally I think it would be a bit better to judge him when he's had 2 or 3, maybe even 6 months in the job.

There were some utterly ridiculous questions though.

I can imagine there were some embarrassing questions. Hope nobody asked why Conor Doyle isn't playing!

What was said about foreign scouting?

From what I've heard I'm quite impressed he was never going to be saying anything outrageous either way and some things can only be answered with a certain level of detail. Seems to talk the talk

I can imagine there were some embarrassing questions. Hope nobody asked why Conor Doyle isn't playing!

What was said about foreign scouting?

From what I've heard I'm quite impressed he was never going to be saying anything outrageous either way and some things can only be answered with a certain level of detail. Seems to talk the talk

One of the best ones was a guy on the subject of transfers

"If a bid of £10m was to come in for one of our players, say Conor Doyle or Gareth Roberts.." oh how we laughed..

On foreign scouting - the question was asked - are we looking further afield than the UK for players? The response was along the lines of that we are scouting outside UK, but that that was up to Nigel and the rest of the playing staff.

Seems to be fully behind the selling of naming rights - so long as it doesn't make us look stupid. Safe standing has his backing too, think he'll be taking that seriously.

Relocating the away fans was interesting too, seems to me he'll be looking for a way for that to work.

Most fascinating his comments about FFP - he thinks it just aint working and I'm glad that he sees this - Glick made it look and sound more like an excuse as to why we weren't spending any money, where as Rush is of the opinion that its just too soft and that the punishments were worth the benefits.

He also mentioned getting Nige to one of these fan forums - that could prove interesting!

I would love to hear some examples Animal 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Well you'll have to wait for the video tomorrow then 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

There was one about the sale of Shackell that bugged me - if it was TG on the floor then fine, but what more is a man who started his job 7 DAYS ago going to know about a transfer that happened last summer?

Also Billy Sharp's name was thrown all over the place, I wonder if his tabs were burning tonight..

I would love to hear some examples Animal 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Some bloke wanted to know exactly what transfer fees were paid in and out in future.

I'd love to know, I'm sure we all would. We just wouldn't want to give away that commercial advantage to other clubs...

Some bloke wanted to know what fee would get Will Hughes...we all would of course, but if Sam gave that up in a fans forum he'd be the worst CEO in history. Except Jeremy Keith.

Nothing outright moronic, just naive. IMO.

To be honest this forum was for the benefit of him more than us. I wasn't expecting anything radical I think most people would agree. He has only been there a week and some people are critiquing him. After the January transfer malarky when the fans have simmered down I think HIS intentions, having taken into consideration OUR intentions will become clearer. His first job that ticked the fans boxes was to say I know my stuff don't worry we won't sell cheap I am wanting to work with the fans.

All in all he spoke too much and said too little.

I'd love to get him sat down for a pint and a chat rather than a formal situation where he can't say too much.

it was a forum for which he had plenty of opportunity to prepare and deliver a strong message.

He can say whatever he wants to say.

The impression is perhaps of someone somewhat out of their depth and learning to tread water.

He had a strong message which he delivered in a lacklustre fashion, possibly unused to staring down the barrel of 150 cynical and world weary Derby fans and trying to sell them that Jacobs was an ambitious signing.

I felt he was at least as interested in getting our views on one or two things.

One of the best ones was a guy on the subject of transfers

"If a bid of £10m was to come in for one of our players, say Conor Doyle or Gareth Roberts.." oh how we laughed..

On foreign scouting - the question was asked - are we looking further afield than the UK for players? The response was along the lines of that we are scouting outside UK, but that that was up to Nigel and the rest of the playing staff.

Seems to be fully behind the selling of naming rights - so long as it doesn't make us look stupid. Safe standing has his backing too, think he'll be taking that seriously.

Relocating the away fans was interesting too, seems to me he'll be looking for a way for that to work.

Most fascinating his comments about FFP - he thinks it just aint working and I'm glad that he sees this - Glick made it look and sound more like an excuse as to why we weren't spending any money, where as Rush is of the opinion that its just too soft and that the punishments were worth the benefits.

He also mentioned getting Nige to one of these fan forums - that could prove interesting!

I can't imagine if Nige was at one. Somebody would say something along the lines of I tried this formation on football manager and it worked you should try it.

It's good that he's being realistic about FFP. Glick made it sound like it was our only hope for promotion.

I think the relocation of the away fans is pretty much a cert for the summer. Just a case of moving the segregation in the concourse etc in the summer.

He had a strong message which he delivered in a lacklustre fashion, possibly unused to staring down the barrel of 150 cynical and world weary Derby fans and trying to sell them that Jacobs was an ambitious signing.

I felt he was at least as interested in getting our views on one or two things.

People seem to think that a signing is only ambitious if the price tag is big. Surely beating premiership clubs to a young player is a sign of ambition?

Maybe I've fallen for the Sam Rush spin already!

In all honesty any fans forum is purely a PR exercise to keep the fans onboard and say " you are important and we are interested in you". He is making a gesture to be connected with the paying public. Don't get me wrong my initial thoughts are positive and I think he will/should be great for Derby County. It's all about public relations though.

Think I must be one of the few who just doesn't care how much a player costs.

I don't care if Brayford cost £600k or £1m

He's improved us. Good signing.

It's only when a manager who pays way over the odds I think to myself 'what a tool, you can get Joe Bloggs for that'

eg. Sturridge - Liverpool £12.5m

Demba Ba Clause £7.5m

I hate it when fans ask questions they know can't be answered. Or they ask a question like 'should you of played 433 v Roy's Rovers?'

Yes, we'll sell Hughes for 3.7m plus £1m after 20apps. He's paid 9k per week and to be honest Bryson is a bit pissed off about it.

Yes, we should of played 433. And against Tranmere if we'd played 352 we would of won 7-1. We can only apologise.

I understand wanting to probe as much as you can. But some stuff is crazy. You can ask if Nigel will have funds. You can ask if we need to sell. You can ask if we are bottom 6 (ref. Metgod) in wage budget. You can say it's frustrating that with a little more backing it Nigel could hit the jackpot. You can ask him why we were led to believe the FFP was our saviour.

You can gauge reactions even if he doesn't directly answer them. You can challenge him on dodging the questions. But why does it matter in the grand scheme how much Sammon cost etc.

PS. I always said the FFP was ******. (my first 'I told you so' on a message board)

Look, well done Nigel. Now to help you push that little bit more and try to build sensibly on what you've done we're going to offer a small investment.

Errrm, really?

Look, no not really. You know the crack Nige! Get back on the A52 looking for gems buried amongst *****.

Errrrm, you had me going there Sam

Look, sorry Nige

Errrrmm, well, at least you didn't mention the FFP or Pompey

Look, do you like my Benitez Beard?

Errrrm, No

Corrected.

People seem to think that a signing is only ambitious if the price tag is big. Surely beating premiership clubs to a young player is a sign of ambition?

Maybe I've fallen for the Sam Rush spin already!

I don't necessarily argue the point, but he didn't sell it in fluent fashion for me. Like the bloke, and I think he'll do well, but not rousing speaker is all.

Archived