Whats your thoughts on Sam Rush?

Derby born & bred

Just got back. Not particularly impressed, but didn't expect to be.

Transfer policy won't change - we won't be spending to try to capitalise on our current position. Reckons we spent £3.5m last summer.

He's definately keen to sell naming rights, but equally doesn't want to over-ride our opinion on it. Most were in favour, so if you are vehemently opposed to PPS being re-named, get your shout in now.

Wage bill is definately not in the bottom 3 in the league.

We're under absolutely no pressure to sell. Re-afirmed the point about not being a soft touch in the transfer market. We'll see.

Looked interested in a few points made about ticketing policy (return of cup vouchers, digonex moans) and merchandising (shirts cheaper on-line than in the club shop). I'd expect changes next year, although he did balance his interest by floating the opposing view and saying they'd look into the issues raised.

All in all he spoke too much and said too little. Tom Glick with a UK accent. That said, I've been quite happy with the progress we've made on the pitch, and if he can improve our income and transfer performance to allow Nige to keep up the good work he'll do for me. Seemed to be very realistic about our position and optimistic about our future.

I'd love to get him sat down for a pint and a chat rather than a formal situation where he can't say too much.

One tantaliser - did say that he'd like to get Nige to one of these forums. I'd love to see Nige's reaction to some of the bollcox spouted.

Anyroad up. As you were.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transfer policy won't change - we won't be spending to try to capitalise on our current position. Reckons we spent £3.5m last summer.

Did Sam Rush imply we had net spend of 3.5 million

or

We had expenditure of 3.5 million and the sales of other players would have bought the overall spending down.

Just seen some Tweets from what he said.

"SR says he doesn't want promotion too soon to jeopardize club/development of young players"

So that's basically saying we don't want promotion for a good few years then? What's that going to do for players coming in etc..

We go to sign a player that most Championship clubs want and we go and say, "we don't want to get promoted yet..." He's just going to walk out the door and speak to a club that does want promotion.

yeah i was gonna say we spent a lot but sold quite a bit.

1 million on electronic advertising boards and large screens.

1 million on Keogh

1.2 million on Sammon

The rest on Jacobs, Freeman, Coutts

1.3 million from Shackell (we'll never know could have been 1 million could have been 2 million)

700k from steve davies

yeah i was gonna say we spent a lot but sold quite a bit.

1 million on electronic advertising boards and large screens.

1 million on Keogh

1.2 million on Sammon

The rest on Jacobs, Freeman, Coutts

1.3 million from Shackell (we'll never know could have been 1 million could have been 2 million)

700k from steve davies

Didn't we spend more on Keogh than we sold Shackell for?

"SR says he doesn't want promotion too soon to jeopardize club/development of young players"

I'm going to suggest that some of that message got lost in translation from CEO-speak to twit-speak somewhere along the lines.

Needles is spot on with his summary.

Spoke too much and said too little.

Only thing I would say though is whilst disappointed with him tonight (got asked questions, spent 5 minutes talking but didn't answer the questions), a man doesn't get to his position without knowing his stuff. Maybe public speaking isn't his thing but getting on with the job, making the right decisions and influencing people is.

I'm going to suggest that some of that message got lost in translation from CEO-speak to twit-speak somewhere along the lines.

He actually said that he wants promotion as soon as possible, but won't recklessly gamble to achieve it. By ensuring that we go up with a young improving squad and adding a little more quality we should be able to stay up and compete = nobody wants a repaet of last time.

He said pretty much what you'd expect - but didn't really flesh out any strategy other than the one which we are already following.

He actually said that he wants promotion as soon as possible, but won't recklessly gamble to achieve it. By ensuring that we go up with a young improving squad and adding a little more quality we should be able to stay up and compete = nobody wants a repaet of last time.

He said pretty much what you'd expect - but didn't really flesh out any strategy other than the one which we are already following.

Sounds like common sense, and sounds totally different to what the twit sausagetered.

Well done Nigel. Now to help you push that little bit more and try to build sensibly on what you've done we're going to offer a small investment.

Really?

No not really. You know the crack Nige! Get back on the A52 looking for gems buried amongst *****.

You had me going there Sam

Sorry Nige

Well, at least you didn't mention the FFP or Pompey

Do you like my Benitez Beard?

No

Well done Nigel. Now to help you push that little bit more and try to build sensibly on what you've done we're going to offer a small investment.

Really?

No not really. You know the crack Nige! Get back on the A52 looking for gems buried amongst *****.

You had me going there Sam

Sorry Nige

Well, at least you didn't mention the FFP or Pompey

Do you like my Benitez Beard?

No

He did mention FFP - and pretty much said that it's dead in the water

[size=4]Mentioned about 1 or 2 loans possibly coming in, I got the impression one maybe foreign due to his reaction when asked about us scouting in the UK only.[/size][size=2][/size]

Another Scottish player probably, I can live with that, Bryson and Coutts have restored my faith in the Scots

Just a UK Tom Glick I think is a tad harsh, this guy actually knows something about football.

And I thought he did well considering he's had only a week in the job. Maybe I'm just to be considered to be one of the blind faith brigade, but I think he's a genuine guy who really sounds like he cares about the job in hand and shows a great passion in enusring that what we do is done to our benefit and doesn't endanger the club.

Personally I think it would be a bit better to judge him when he's had 2 or 3, maybe even 6 months in the job.

There were some utterly ridiculous questions though.

Archived