Craig Bryson

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a really bad feeling about this transfer window...

This will really show the mettle of our 'board'.

I'd like 6-8 mil for hughes plus addons and a percentage of next transfer

2 mil for brayford, bryson i doubt will go.

what we will probably get is 2 mil for hughes and 500,000 for brayford....

i dont know about you guys but i cringe at the thought of Fulham being able to bid for our best players. they are a nothing team with no history and have managed to get into the prem by having a rich foreign chairman.....i hate football.

Like Man City?

Why is this the window to show the mettle of the board?

There has been speculation about Brayfordd before. They offered Commons what he asked for,

The only first team regular sold without attempt to keep was Shackell and he was replaced.

Brayford was injured for most of last season and pretty average when he played. I doubt that any offers came over £250k. Now he's fit and back in pretty good form. It would be no surprise to see properly tempting offers come in now.

So far in GSE's tenure they have (probably correctly) accepted every viable offer that has entered the public domain.

£4m for Hulse - player turned down the move, but the club rightly accepted it

£750k ish for Commons - Was not going to sign a new contract and likely to sulk til the summer - club had to take the money

£750k ish for Hulse - Last year of contract with injury problems - club had to take the money

£500k ish for Moxey - Still seems a little odd, but if Nigel didn't rate him best to sell for a small profit

£1.1m ish for Shackell - I'm assured that there were good behind the scenes reason for the sale - he really had to go and at least we got some money to buy a replacement.

All sold for good reasons, and I don't see how any of them can be used to beat GSE/owners. However, the list is short. Why? Because most of our players have been underperforming, overpayed donkeys who no-one would touch with a barge pole. If we had some decent assetts would GSE have cashed in to make the balance sheet look better (I don't count selling to use the cash to improve the squad as a bad thing)? We don't know, because the situation hasn't arrisen.

Now we have some real gems - probably on comparitively low wages, who will attract decent bids in this window, Thus, I totally agree that this window will likley show the mettle of the board.

We have good assets now i agree. Our team:

Is one of the youngest in the league ------- younger players have a higher value.

Has one of the lowest wage bills ----------- Teams can afford to pay a higher transfer value for our players because their wage package at the club will be less. (Hughes on £700 max a week, prem club could offer 5,000 a week (250,000 a year) if they signed someone like Zaha his wage would already be 5,000 or more so you are looking at 20,000 a week for him at say Arsenal/United thats 1.04 million a year, big difference for a championship side if they gain that 750,000 extra)

We have replacements ready because Derby has invested heavily (1 million extra a year since GSE took over) into the academy and under 21 team ------- Selling say Will Hughes Bryson and Hendrick would come back in like last season and we finished 12th then. we are currently 13th with Hughes in the side ( i know thats a rash way of putting it because our performances have been much better this season).

But the main problem with having these assets that we never had before is that we don't know what to do. Fans included. This should be a time of promise and excitement at the club but i get the feeling our fans are looking at both negative outcomes. Selling Hughes - We lose a future premiership player. Keeping him we have no money to invest in terms of getting us out this division.

Thus, I totally agree that this window will likley show the mettle of the board.

Second that

Shackell is that good that in a team with a striker who has scored 20 league goals the defense has conceded enough games for then to be below us.

still manage to beat us twice!

but in all honesty i really dont think NC will let him go, nor do i think he would want to go, bryson seems to be a team player so hopefully...

When he plays we do well though. He got player of the season last year so he cant be an average cm. Personally i think he has been double the player hendrick has been this season and has played consistently better than hughes. Hughes can drift in and out of games.

Bryson is involved 100% in every game and his honesty shows through.

When he plays we do well though. He got player of the season last year so he cant be an average cm. Personally i think he has been double the player hendrick has been this season and has played consistently better than hughes. Hughes can drift in and out of games.

someone who talks sense on this forum , it won't catch on

Wouldn't buy his left leg

£1m wouldn't buy his left leg? Let's be realistic, valleyram. The only players in our squad that would fetch considerably more than a million are Hughes and Bennett for their potential. If we could get anywhere between £1-1.5m for Bryson, that would be a good deal for the club. We purchased him for £500k, has his value really quadrupled in less than 18 months at the club? No. But if we were to sell him, we could definitely make a profit, no doubt about that. I'd sell Bryson if it helped us ward off interest in Hughes.

Bryson had a good season last season for a team that finished 12th. Not 6th, not 3rd. He may be an honest, hard-working midfielder but he isn't the same calibre of player as a Koren or a Whittingham which is why people are suggesting he's average/good for this level.

Are we forgetting Hendrick is 20 and Hughes is just 17? Too right, Bryson should be performing more consistently than those two. Let's be honest, Hughes is only going to get better and better. Hendrick could well develop further too. I think Bryson is at his level.

But Bryson is better at Whittingham defensively so it depends what type of CM you are looking for. There isnt just a "cm" i would argue Whittingham is an attacker player in midfield because he doesn't have the strength and pace to play forward.

Bryson's presence allows the likes of Hughes, Jacobs and Coutts to go forward and commit numbers because bryson will be on the edge to pick up the pieces. Hendrick is similar.

Two weaker physical players like playing Whittigham and Hughes together in midfield i think would defiantly struggle in the championship teams would exploit that. Hence Whittingham plays with conway or cowie for physical presence.

Bryson is valuable because

he fouls players (breaks up play)

can win 50/50's

Good creativity when he does go forward.

Great Engine (lets the others have time on the ball)

Without him we would struggle.

Bryson was the best player in an average side last season, and being the best player, his qualities stood out. He was also the best CM we had since Oakley in promotion form.

I would have liked to have seen his passing game come on a little bit more because in slower games, he often does pick out a pass. He's not a Premier League player though, and he's put in some very forgettable performances against the better teams away from home.

He's a good player in a decent league, no one's taking that away from him. Bris once said he could find 50 players of Hughes' talent in Spain, but I think there are a similar number of Brysons to be found within a decent radius of this country. A like-for-like replacement is a box-to-box midfielder with good stamina who makes himself available for a pass. Not rocket science.

People say we look worse without him...well of course we do, it's a position we know we're weak in and we don't have ample cover. He is one of our better players. But we're not an amazing team.

The fact he could be replaced by other players doesn't mean we should sell - for the sake of stability, I'd like him to stay, and he is going to be a handy player for most teams at this level. But if he does go, I won't lose much sleep over it, and I doubt he will be remembered in Derby County folklore.

Any club that pays over £1m for his services are baring up the wrong tree with their transfer policy.

Archived