The Demise of Derby

Feed The Fish

Alright lads, first time poster here but I've been reading over it the last couple of years! Hopefully this is in the right thread...

Basically, I'm doing an EPQ in my second year of sixth form (basically I make a question and answer it in a few thousand words) and I'm doing mine on why Derby have experienced "a bit" of a demise over the last ten years or so.

I've got a fair few ideas, but just wondered if anybody could help me out with a few more or argue amongst yourselves about them? I live in Leicestershire so if I ask anyone for ideas over here, I usually get "cos ur **** lolzzzzz" or something intellectual like that. Cheers!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't think this should take long.

2002/2003 - first season in division 1, big wages, mercenaries - crippled by not being self-sufficient.

2003/2004 - trying to shake off a long hang-over part 2.

2004/2005 - 3 amigos take over and illegally rip us off (later end up in prison) - we did make the plays off mind.

2005/2006 - protests, bad feeling around the club - bad manager in charge...etc

2006/2007 - finally get a bit of financial support under billy davies and get promoted.

2007/2008 - too many half measures, bad choices and bad management as we're relegated to the championship with 11 points.

2008/2009 - Paul Jewell being clueless spending money on ***** yet again,

and since then we've been trying to do things the 'correct' way under Clough, cutting our big earners and working on the academy to do things correctly - slow growth, no quick fix.

A pretty dull affair, especially to write about.

Who says we're doing *****.....over the years our average position is probably where we are now.

Expectations were raised in the 70s by having a truly magnificent group of players, two league titles and success in europe.

Then came decline and severe financial struggle, until the mid 80s and arthur cox.

For a few years we reversed the decline with shrewd signings and three or four very good players before decline and further financial crisis. From 2000 onwards we have been unable to compete financially but in the last year we have made modest progress by investment in the academy and a few prudent signings.

Thats basically it.......

Welcome,

but why do new members who "have been reading for a few years" always wonder if they've posted stuff in the right place?

As for your question, do the demise of Lesta, because they have been through a lot worse than us, and took a lot of local tradesmen with them when they went bankrupt.

Compare our position to 10 years ago and tell us where the demise is.

Not much difference in league position, financially stronger and an academy now starting to show good signs.

The only demise is probably the fanbase but I think we are all aware that our core number of fans will never change drastically.

Alright lads, first time poster here but I've been reading over it the last couple of years! Hopefully this is in the right thread...

Basically, I'm doing an EPQ in my second year of sixth form (basically I make a question and answer it in a few thousand words) and I'm doing mine on why Derby have experienced "a bit" of a demise over the last ten years or so.

I've got a fair few ideas, but just wondered if anybody could help me out with a few more or argue amongst yourselves about them? I live in Leicestershire so if I ask anyone for ideas over here, I usually get "cos ur **** lolzzzzz" or something intellectual like that. Cheers!

Well I don't think this should take long.

2002/2003 - first season in division 1, big wages, mercenaries - crippled by not being self-sufficient.

2003/2004 - trying to shake off a long hang-over part 2.

2004/2005 - 3 amigos take over and illegally rip us off (later end up in prison) - we did make the plays off mind.

2005/2006 - protests, bad feeling around the club - bad manager in charge...etc

2006/2007 - finally get a bit of financial support under billy davies and get promoted.

2007/2008 - too many half measures, bad choices and bad management as we're relegated to the championship with 11 points.

2008/2009 - Paul Jewell being clueless spending money on ***** yet again,

and since then we've been trying to do things the 'correct' way under Clough, cutting our big earners and working on the academy to do things correctly - slow growth, no quick fix.

A pretty dull affair, especially to write about.

IMO it goes back a further 5 years or so. Just falling sort of Europe etc, I pin point (as this is only my opinion) the "demise" started the day Stevie Mac left for Man Utd

The demise of Derby never occurred.

The demise of football however occurred when Sky took over, televised games became a daily occurrence and wages spiraled out if control.

That is the point when the smaller clubs like Derby County realized that unless they were taken over by wealthy owners willing to waste millions on the club they would never taste success again and many of their fans lost interest and even many die hard fans questioned theirs.

Try the demise in expectations from a derby fan, "we are happy being the 30th best club in the county, our finances are good (we think, well against portsmouth they are) our drop in fans is expected but not because we are a team treading water, our manager is good working within a budget, we have a good youth acamedy that no one else has (ok they have but ours is the best because every young player that doesn't play for us is overrated), we should think ourself lucky because the prem league is rubbish we don't want to be in it, we don't have an owner that is going to pump money into us, and we have a big screen"

Write this.....

There is no demise of Derby County, we are where we are because thats how good we are....

That doesn't make sense, surely we have to have got worse to be where we are, ie lower? You can have a demise without claiming you've been hard done by. Murderers who get life in jail have a demise, but they get what they deserve...

******** is our position now average, it should be in line with our fan base, around 12 to 16th in the country, but our supporters seem to have settled for a lot less

Fan-base means nothing. Team performances over each season, who makes the decisions on said team, and how much you can afford to spend on that team is what decides a club. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyway, on your original question - the decline of Jim Smith planted the rot that led to us becoming a consistently bad football club. Taking away the events of the Three Amigoes who did us no favours financially, after Jim Smith left (and, actually, for his last couple of seasons with us) we became a losing club. A club that finished in the bottom half of tables, didn't win away and let their heads drop.

Two managers, Burley and Davies, managed to turn us around for one season each and earn top-half finishes. One, however, was not given the time to turn is in to a sustained change in the club's culture, whilst the latter had a disastrous January transfer window which formed the basis of the worst team English top-flight football has ever seen, if not Europe, undoing all the work he had done in a brief but brilliant four-month spell before that.

Paul Jewell was the absolute low. He spent £10m to make us only marginally better with a squad of 38 players.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the side that took us down from the Premier League would also have finished bottom in the Championship. Some things went on behind the scenes in the summer of 2007 which clearly complicated matters for that season but the fact of the matter is we rarely outclassed any teams in our promotion season and I certainly think our ability to grind out results was only ever going to take us so far. The overriding issue was that we had no decent players.

As a result of that, the board has a phobia of spending any more money and wants an era of stability and slow and steady progress - a very dissapointing result for us after their initial gung-ho attitude, but hardly surprising given their first experience of handing out money to a manager (unfortunate that this manager also happens to be one of the worst of all time according to English football records).

This losing culture which became the underlying theme of the 2000s has ever so slightly weakened under Clough, and rather than being a firmly bottom-half side, we're now a firm mid-table one.

If I were also to pick out the most common excuse from pretty much all managers after bad results and bad seasons was a difficulty to get players to do what they were told. For whatever reason, the Pride Park dressing room couldn't consistently assemble a bunch of human beings capable of listening to managers' instructions, and this lack of discipline was continually picked up and carried on by each set of new players.

******** is our position now average, it should be in line with our fan base, around 12 to 16th in the country, but our supporters seem to have settled for a lot less

When was the perfect time in English football where the entire Football League mirrored clubs' fanbases?

Archived