The Demise of Derby

Feed The Fish

I said that Brighton were going to overtake us two seasons ago and people laughed at me when I said we were no bigger than Huddlesfield and that given the choice players would either go where the money is or go to the most likely to get promoted..

So far Huddlesfield have taken to the NPC and could quite easily finish higher than us.. (whether they can then push on is a different matter)... Millwall also had a terrific back quarter last season and they look a solid outfit too which could push on..

The problem with us is that we need to improve at a rate higher than those others who are looking to improve season upon season (Brighton, Hull, Burnley etc.) or hope that other clubs fall back (which looks like it's happened to the likes of Ipswich, Bristol City and Leeds)..

It's no good toddling along to the lines of 'improving season upon season' if those around us are improving at a quicker pace.. It will just mean we'll either stagnate or go backwards..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said that Brighton were going to overtake us two seasons ago and people laughed at me when I said we were no bigger than Huddlesfield and that given the choice players would either go where the money is or go to the most likely to get promoted..

So far Huddlesfield have taken to the NPC and could quite easily finish higher than us.. (whether they can then push on is a different matter)... Millwall also had a terrific back quarter last season and they look a solid outfit too which could push on..

The problem with us is that we need to improve at a rate higher than those others who are looking to improve season upon season (Brighton, Hull, Burnley etc.) or hope that other clubs fall back (which looks like it's happened to the likes of Ipswich, Bristol City and Leeds)..

It's no good toddling along to the lines of 'improving season upon season' if those around us are improving at a quicker pace.. It will just mean we'll either stagnate or go backwards..

In fairness, the amount of money Brighton have (and how wisely they're mostly spending it) is a good reason for why they're where they are right now.

The fact that they have Vicente on their books is truly staggering to me, injury problems or no.

Agreed about Brighton. Spent money wisely and have developed into the 'new Swansea'. A good footballing side and I doubt the PL is years away. Even if they don't go up they'll enjoy good football, plenty of wins all over the country and that nice feeling of security.

I'm jealous.

We'll cut the wage bill. Replace ok players with ok players. And every year it will be...

P46 W17 D10 L19

Or something like that.

We aren't willing to 'gamble'. Apparently that's how you end up like Pompey.

But it's why we replace Joe Bloggs with another Joe Bloggs.

The only hope I have is Hughes being sold for a couple of million and we buy a couple of slightly better than we're used.

Even then it needs a settled system. A comfortable system. Home and away.

At the moment all I see is a change of names on a shirt mostly. Perhaps slight improvement. But there will always be a few teams each year that improve faster.

My feelings too. I like the way they all go on about which system would have worked against Palace, 4-4-2 4-5-1 5-3-7, we'd have lost anyway, because our players are just average, worker bees, interchange Jacobs Tyson Coutts Bryson Sammon, Ward, wouldn't make any difference, they're all cheap gambles that we're hoping will turn into average players and keep us mid table. We've been doing it since GSE took over, buying cheap gambles, Pereplotkins, Kasmercheck, the list is endless. The outcome is we've still got misfits, players draining the wage bill and not contributing, Bailey, Tyson, Davies. On and on. Instead of having 3-5 unusable players all the time why can't we pay a bit more to ensure we get better quality? It's what everyone else does, not rocket science.

Coming up to the jan window again, every year we try and force a sale, I wonder who it Will be this time?

Our transfer policy Seems to be players u23 who have potential.Effectively we should be using the u21 system to its max having a complete second squad of young players who use the u21's like its their first team.The reason we dont see much growth in some players is because 1 week they're u21s next first team and thats not because they didnt play well its a simple fact that

We Dont Have enough players.

We got rid of big earners like pearson,Leacock etc and replaced them with really cheap alternatives in untested youth.

(which im not saying is bad) but when you take them youth players into the first team you cant then keep them there for a while then throw back into u18s again we have to take and replace.

Whether its a good thing or not soon our squad could possibly be more than youths.

When you are a club who uses youth.You either have to make sure you sell 1/2 of them a year or keep bringing them to your club like monthly trials.Just having 1/2 like Luke adams or Conor Sellars(Currently) isnt good enough these players will be on really low wages and we need to bring more in like this.Even though they said Abroad scouting isnt a priority right now we should be looking at more players like Valetine as they are cheaper and you stand a better chance of finding a gem.If an english youth player has huge potential every club will know about him.

Overall we need better coaching as we currently are missing key parts of a team such a [size=1]Taarabt[/size] type player skill full and makes things happen.Yes ward is like but not enough.Having Midfielders who like to tackle.These are the young type players we should be scouting for not your typical average english player in the lower leagues.

You make good points Bris but you also said Barnsley would finish above us, any reason you aint bosting about that mate?

You make good points Bris but you also said Barnsley would finish above us, any reason you aint bosting about that mate?

Because they lost 4 PL players in a month..

Take out Theo, Bryson, Ward and Keogh and we'd probably get relegated..

Who would score the goals? Who would work in midfield and create? Who would hold us at the back?

Because they lost 4 PL players in a month..

Take out Theo, Bryson, Ward and Keogh and we'd probably get relegated..

Who would score the goals? Who would work in midfield and create? Who would hold us at the back?

That's football though, do you think if u had put money on it u could go to the bookie and cry that they sold a couple of players and didn't tell you about it.

You also told us that coutts was no better than bailey and would only pass sideways, Chelsea would never beat Barcelona, and I see you recently ousted a bookie for getting the odds wrong, even though you still lost your money, I reckon you could start a thread with your predictions.

Three little words missing from your vocabulary, "I was wrong", u enjoy taking credit when u can :-)

Ps I enjoy your posts they make me smile

That's football though, do you think if u had put money on it u could go to the bookie and cry that they sold a couple of players and didn't tell you about it.

You also told us that coutts was no better than bailey and would only pass sideways, Chelsea would never beat Barcelona, and I see you recently ousted a bookie for getting the odds wrong, even though you still lost your money, I reckon you could start a thread with your predictions.

Three little words missing from your vocabulary, "I was wrong", u enjoy taking credit when u can :-)

Ps I enjoy your posts they make me smile

Yeh I know that's football.. But no-one can deny Barnsley were a top team before losing their better players..

I never said Chelsea would never beat Barca... I simply said Barca are the greatest team in history (over a 5 year period) but they aren't unbeatable..

Coutts is average... A nothing player.. I said that.. I stick by it.

The bookies were wrong.. They made an absolute mess of it and could have lost out on alot of money.. In this case the bookies got lucky that Toluca fluked a win despite being dominated all game (like I said they would)

I'm not right all the time.. But I'm right most of the time.. Why else would people keep trying to put my knowledge down? Everytime I make a statement people jump on it like a rash trying to put it down.. Clearly these people feel inferior..

Back to the original thread.. Derby are scraping by and a loss of key players will see us drop down the league like a stone.. You can already notice how indifferent we are without Ward away from home.. No creativity

Valdes had nothing to do other than pass the ball out a few times and pick the ball out of his net..

No exaggeration but Barca could have scored 4 quite easily.. Fabregas, Alexis and Busquets the guilty party..

1-0 is still asking too much for Chelsea.. Barca will score at least 3 in the Nou Camp, they'll play Tello or Cuenca from the start and stretch the fullbacks.. CHelsea to score 2 in the second leg, I don't think so..

Barca to win 3-1 in the return leg..

Someone hacking your account bris?

Archived