Boycotting Starbucks

sage

Starbucks haven't paid a penny of corporation tax in the UK in the last 3 years despite having hundreds of shops. They pay a 'licensing fee' to their US head division to funnel profits there. They charge £2.60 plus for a coffee and a raking it in.

Whilst they pay no tax, services, pensions, benefits and the armed forces are all being cut. I often go in on matchday, but no more unless they start paying tax.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broken biscuit boxes were amazing years ago, remember when they had the really thick 'Rocky' bars in them by the handful? Now you're lucky to get three mini cookies in them, though you get so many other things it's still worth it.

For £2, they're top notch.

Starbucks haven't paid a penny of corporation tax in the UK in the last 3 years despite having hundreds of shops. They pay a 'licensing fee' to their US head division to funnel profits there. They charge £2.60 plus for a coffee and a raking it in.

Whilst they pay no tax, services, pensions, benefits and the armed forces are all being cut. I often go in on matchday, but no more unless they start paying tax.

And why not?

I used to run a business in the UK and was always looking at ways to avoid paying taxes. Good on em!

My wife works part-time for Starbucks and they've been amazing over her maternity leave paying her a full salary until our boy is two years old. So that's full salary for close to two and a half years and she hasn't had to work at all.

A great company.

And why not?

I used to run a business in the UK and was always looking at ways to avoid paying taxes. Good on em!

My wife works part-time for Starbucks and they've been amazing over her maternity leave paying her a full salary until our boy is two years old. So that's full salary for close to two and a half years and she hasn't had to work at all.

A great company.

Can you ask your missis to make sure Starbucks do the same winter/seasonal drinks as last year? The cinammon one and the eggnog one, cos they're fab 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

And why not?

A great company.

There is tax avoidance and there is taking the piss. Don't you think these practices by big business, simply because they have the resources to exploit loopholes that others don't, makes other tax-paying companies, particularly SME'S and independents less competitive? Capitalism can only work with a basic framework of rules and regulations (least that is what I learned in A-level economics) that are applied to all otherwise it leads to exploitation There are those of us that believe when big business becomes too big, can do what the hell they want and pay what they want it becomes a very dangerous model for the whole economic picture. How that is something to be applauded I don't know? We've seen it with the banks (bailed out/fixing interest rates), the energy companies this week (feature on QT last night), the monopolisation of supermakets and price-fixing, PO box headoffices of large organisations...its an utter disgrace IMO.

There is tax avoidance and there is taking the piss. Don't you think these practices by big business, simply because they have the resources to exploit loopholes that others don't, makes other tax-paying companies, particularly SME'S and independents less competitive? Capitalism can only work with a basic framework of rules and regulations (least that is what I learned in A-level economics) that are applied to all otherwise it leads to exploitation There are those of us that believe when big business becomes too big, can do what the hell they want and pay what they want it becomes a very dangerous model for the whole economic picture. How that is something to be applauded I don't know? We've seen it with the banks (bailed out/fixing interest rates), the energy companies this week (feature on QT last night), the monopolisation of supermakets and price-fixing, PO box headoffices of large organisations...its an utter disgrace IMO.

totally agree with SillyBilly here.

Big companies cannot be trusted. Governments have to provide a framework of rules for business to be done otherwise Starbucks would sell crystal meth alongside their espresso's.

If people don't understand this, may I refer them to what happened to the banks under Gordon Brown's "light" touch or self regulation...

Archived