Gareth Bale

Uptherams

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well looka gain at the youtube clip I linked. Its a definite foul, no question.But sure Owen made a meal of it.

With Owen's, I'm not so sure he was touched...I'll have one more look.

ETA - Ah I see, that's a different game. Yeah, he was definietly kicked in that game and went down as a result, I've got no problem with things like that.

This game he definitely dived.

Mark Lawrenson said Bale would walk into any team in the world.

Iniesta, Ronaldo must have had a bad season.

Overrated. Being "unplayable" v Scotland is ..... well, you know?

When does his £30m move to Barca go through? Same times as Pep takes over at Chelsea?

Bale is fast, and he has a decent shot on him.. But I see nothing else such as his passing, movement, close control or vision to say he'd walk into Arsenals team let alone Barcelona or Real Madrid..

Who would he replace? Iniesta, Pedro, David Villa, Alexis, Fabregas all play that role better.. And has for LB, Jordi Alba is 10x better..

(slightly offtopic but did you see Pedros hattrick vs Belarus? The guy is getting better and better, I'd place him now as 4th or 5th best winger/forward in the world)

As you say, Bale is the most overrated player in the PL.. As for Lawrenson, he knows nothing about football outside of the PL, the guy didn't give Mexico, South Korea or Japan an ounce of credit at the Olympics because he simply doesn't know any of the players nor how good they are.. All he kept talking about was a poor GB team and Brazil because they have a few overhyped youngsters..

Bale's not a bad player when he's on form though is he, I'd say he's got a decent touch on him and in a similar manner to Mcmanaman he invites the opposition to tackle him, jinks the ball away from them and he's away. He's got good upper body strength aswell so he can hold players off and still maintain the ball. His delivery from a cross is pretty good aswell.

Him and Alba aren't that different really, Alba relies on his pace. From what I've seen anyway.

I think Bale is a good player. Nothing more. I hate it that you can't be good and British and in the PL without being one of the best in the world.

Look no further than Bayern Munich. Who in the British media truly rates Bayern Munich players? Yet if Bastian Shweinstieger was English he'd be one of the best in the world. But you never hear Bayern players or team get praised on that high level by our media until they make another Champions League semi final.

Our pundits only consider Real and Barca and the premiership. Bale to Barca for £30m was a media frenzy all summer. Why does he still play for Spurs?

Give a few months and we'll have Lescott as one of the best CBs in the world because Puyol is always injured, Mascherano is not solid enough and Pepe is a thug.

They'll ignore Thiago Silva and Hummels and Chielini (good in all back 4 positions) and A good few others

Just like with Bale they forget wingers like Ribery (hate him).

The thought process is, he plays in the PL, he is on massive wages, he's a star for his national team..... must be about good enough for Barca? Jesus, there are some great players in Europe that don't play in England or for Madrid or Barca.

Ribery, Robben, Ibra, Pato, Hamsik, Lavezzi, Cavani..... i could name loads that could get in most PL teams if not all. They all do as much internationally as Gareth bloody Bale too!!

I notice Falcao will be stepping up to the PL next summer. To "prove himself" no doubt. Wherever he goes will be money motivated (Athletico need cash) but it'll probably be another indication that the football pyramid is apparently

Barca

Madrid

Premiership

The rest.

Bale is just good.

Yet he plays for Spurs?

Somebody remind Spurs and their friends that they haven't got anywhere near the PL title nevermind a European final. They've convinced themselves they're European heavyweights.

I never used to mind Redknapp.... But he talks so much ***** it's hurting my head. Now I would like him to take young Jamie on a family holiday.

To Helmand Province.

Yet he plays for Spurs?

Somebody remind Spurs and their friends that they haven't got anywhere near the PL title nevermind a European final. They've convinced themselves they're European heavyweights.

I never used to mind Redknapp.... But he talks so much ***** it's hurting my head. Now I would like him to take young Jamie on a family holiday.

To Helmand Province.

He always talks crappolla, it's his whole thing.

European heavyweights....they will never be anywhere near it...

Redknapp didn't say that in the article. Shocking journalism that you'd expect from a tabloid. At what point in the article does Redknapp actually say he's as good as Ronaldo and Messi?

That chart as well, on the side, shows it's not balance reporting. They've mis-quoted him to make him look a fool, to get more people reading,

So so poor from the BBC.

FWIW, I agree that Bale is 'after' the Ronaldos and Messis in terms of class. There's only two people in their class, and that's the two of them. Bale is in the next group. I probably should've quoted the bit where he makes that clear.

He's only 23, so is Jordi Alba and Marcelo is 24. There's not much difference when you compare the three of them, if anything I think Bale has more potential because he's got everything they've got plus strength. His consistency is something I question plus he's prone too the odd injury. But he's a bloody good player that can turn it on when needs be. The only thing being is he's the exoctic Welsh, not the rough Spaniard or Brazilian.

I can see him playing for any of the top clubs in the future, as Harry also says.

Wish he was English, for sure!

Thing is, in the group behind Messi and Ronaldo are people like

Rooney

Ribery

Silva

Iniesta

Xavi

Xabi Alonso

Ozil

Yaya Toure

Ibrahimovic....

Another very elite group of highly decorated players who have played against each other. We know these players are the best because they are great in Bayern v Madrid or Barca v United or Spain v Germany. They have lots of medals. Lots of massive games. It's a big group too. There are a lot more I can think of to add to that list such as a Barcelona captain that's won everything and an Italian midfielder that's won everything too.

I just think Bale is good. Next group after 'current greats' and way behind Messi/Ronaldo's comparisons with Pele and Maradonna and Co.

I think Redknapp and everyone is wrong anyway, Iniesta is better than Ronaldo.

And Messi shouldnt be compared with Ronaldo, they shouldnt be in a group of 2, cos Messi is about 20 times better than Ronaldo, Messi is in a group of 1, a class of his own. Then Ronaldo and Iniesta, and i'd have Iniesta above Ronaldo. I think Ronaldo is over rated.

I think Redknapp and everyone is wrong anyway, Iniesta is better than Ronaldo.

And Messi shouldnt be compared with Ronaldo, they shouldnt be in a group of 2, cos Messi is about 20 times better than Ronaldo, Messi is in a group of 1, a class of his own. Then Ronaldo and Iniesta, and i'd have Iniesta above Ronaldo. I think Ronaldo is over rated.

I think I'd prefer Ronaldo over Iniesta but I certainly would say Xavi and Iniesta are the next in line. And they would be for World Player Of The Year too had Ronaldo or Messi not scored like 120 or whatever goals between them.

Iniesta and Xavi both do something Ronaldo can't tbf. Take complete and utter control of a match. Ronaldo is magical with his impact though. His feet are so fast and his shots are ridiculous!!

To be fair Ronaldo is an absolute beast as a goalscorer.. He's not a creator like Iniesta, nor does control a game from midfield like him, but he has a goal in him from anywhere within the final quarter of the pitch.. that's also the difference between Messi and Ronaldo, Messi is in a class of his own because he has a goal in him from anywhere in the opposition half.. He's the only player in the world that can pick up the ball just inside the opposition half and score or create a goal and he does it with consistancy against the best defences in the world..

But noway in any world is Bale in their class, or even the next elite class below them.. To even put him on par with Iniesta and Xavi is an absolute insult.. To say he's possibly better than Jordi Alba or Marcelo is an absolute insult.. The guy isn't known for his defending, and he can't play down the middle.. He's a fast winger that can get behind a fullback who can also chip in with a few goals (from the PL I'd take Valencia over him anyday who has a better cross and is more consistant)

Bale isn't better than Alba, you only have to see Albas movement from a LB, it's the best in the world.. He can defend, retain possession, comfortably hold his left side and get in behind the opposition defences (somethiong Marcelo lacks) at ease.. In his last match for Spain he rounded the opposition goalkeeper and scored, when ever has a LB been in a position to do that? His movement was awesome and made it easy for the Xavi to pick the pass.. Just like Euro 2012 final.

I suspect Bale could prove to be one of the best AML's in the world at some point, though to do so he needs to be pit against the best on a constant basis, to judge him against sides like Villa and their ilk is obviously going to make him seem like a world beater.

The game everyone calls back to against Inter is one example of how good he can be, though for the Inter defence to fall for the same trick three times (and by trick I mean 'running forwards') then they're as much to blame for those goals as much as Bale deserves praise.

I'd like to see him move to Manchester or somewhere in Italy/Spain and prove that he can be as good as he possibly could be when judged against the top teams. He's a diver yes, but so are most forwards nowadays, even the target men. He's certainly not on Ronaldo or Messi's level by a long stretch, but he's still an excellent left winger, in comparison with other PL left wingers at the very least.

Archived