Anyone remember this game ?

petersimple

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most memorable Blackburn game for me (I didn't go to either of the playoff games) was one in which Glen Keeley scored a peach of an own goal, lobbing his own keeper on the turn from the edge of the box. Balletic.

That was a nightmatch if I remember Andy? I was in the Normanton upper that night and had a peach of a view of the hapless Mr Keelys goal.

I remember all of the games I have seen. But usually there are only a few memories that remain from each game. I always remember the weather. Even though that was never a problem at the Baseball Ground. You had to be pretty daft to get wet. Of course, it was different at away games especially at grounds like Villa Park and Roker Park with their big open terraces. The weather for the Tottenham game was sunny and I was standing in the middle Normanton stand to the left of the goal. I don't remember the goals or much about the action but I do remember that someone I knew had brought a camera to the game. Nowadays, it seems as if everyone is taking photos but then it seemed an unusual thing to do. The year Everton were champions I we beat them 2-1. You can see it on youtube. It was a very dark and cloudy afternoon and I was just to the left of the Normanton End goal. I thought Willie Carlin scored from an overhead kick in this game, but I was obviously wrong. Maybe it was a near miss. In my memory he seemed to be almost on the Everton goal line. I can also see him playing keep ball in the boy's enclosure corner.

I didn't see the famous Derby Manchester United 4-4 game. I don't know why? I rarely missed a game and I would not have wanted to miss that.

I have just read an interview with Peter Reid in FourFourTwo where he speaks of the golden era of football, he makes a very good point, that in the 70's/80's you could name 10's of world class British strikers....Woodcock, Mariner, Keegan, Latchford, Beardsley, Linekar, Archibald, George, Dogleash, Swindlehurst, Biley (I added those last two my self) etc etc etc etc all of who would still be great if they played now.......and nowadays, you would struggle to name 1.....

Football, has completely changed, it has been totally ruined, totally, the days of these guys being working class hero's of kids up and down the country have gone, as even the most starry-eyed kid knows that players are interested in having the biggest car possible and as much money as they can possibly drain out of the game.

I genuinely feel sorry for football fans these days, personally I grew up at the worst possible time to be a Rams fan, we had just won the league, twice, and my earliest memories are of us completley imploding and going down and donw and down and down and ultimately, almost out of existance!

The rise back up under King Arthur was the best footballing time of my life, the success coupled with the "casual scene" at the time was completely hypnotising for a teenage boy, and I am so pleased that I made the most of it all.

When I hear my 11 year old son say that the best player he has ever seen in a Derby shirt is Stevie Howard, I could almost cry for him, whilst a good player mr Howard obviously was for us the season we went up, wow, he wouldn't have made it near any of the King Arthur teams, or even Smiths team.

I think of the players I have seen skipping around the baseball ground and I worry that when my son is eventually talking to his son about football, what state will it be in by then??

No doubt about it Muespach that football has changed for the worse. The real characters in the game and the actual character of the game itself has diminished since Sky reinvented football way back in the early 90s.The football itself at the top level is sometimes SO without flaws to it ( see Spain) that after a while it becomes boring to watch. In this summers Euro Championships the most exciting game was England v Sweden as it was littered with mistakes and eventually went into just 2 teams slugging it out. But I guess that in the mind of most modern coaches it was most likely the worse game and painful to watch.

Good grief if Woodcock, Mariner, Latchford and Archibald were world class strikers then I must have missed something. Clearly if this is how Reid gauges players ability no wonder he spends most of his time as a pundit.

They were ALL better than anyone around now.....by miles and miles and miles and miles

They were ALL better than anyone around now.....by miles and miles and miles and miles

Usually I agree with you but on this occasion I just can't. Apart from Woodcock they were all average and no better than say Crouch or Defoe. Even Woodcock was a poor man's Hector. Mind you, the rest were definitely better than what we have now - especially Beardsley who was class.

Paul Mariner and Steve Archibald were not average.They were cracking players.Numerous times better than crouch and defoe.These lads were proper footballers who didnt have a bowling green to play on like now,they played on mudheaps,the BBG being the worst.

Football was better then,atmospheres were better,teams werent loaded with foreigners,players fought hard to win because the win bonus was worth winning,unlike today with the massive wages whether they win or lose.

It seems like yesterday. It was a warm sunny afternoon and I was standing in front of the Main Stand towards the Normanton End. Blackburn were the visitors. They'd just been relegated from the First Division. Rovers played well that afternoon but they had a few decades of obscurity in front of them. As for Derby, well, they tried but there was no flair or excitement in their play. It was looking like we were set for another season of Second Division mediocrity. We were not to know that a special player would be arriving soon who would change everything.

Despite losing that afternoon the Derby fans were not disheartened. It was still summer and we walked home with the sun on our faces. The talk was about England's tail enders putting on a century together against the West Indies. I can remember all this very clearly, but the one thing I can't remember is the Blackburn team that day. I've tried searching the net but I can only see the Derby team which I more or less remembered anyway. Why do I want to know who was in their team? Just idle curiosity. I am an idle man who just likes thinking about the past. Can anyone work out what game I am writing about? Also are there any people here with memories of that game. I pose these questions as an experiment. There was nothing special about the game but there are probably about 7000 people spectators from that game who are still alive. I don't know how many of them read this messageboard, but there must be some. Perhaps I am the only person alive who clearly recalls that game. An old Blackburn game is hardly "tears in the rain" but it does make you think about the transience of memory.

Pleased to say that I'm one of the 7000 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> . I remember King Kevin's first game as if it was yesterday. We just couldn't believe it...[tears starting...]

Good grief if Woodcock, Mariner, Latchford and Archibald were world class strikers then I must have missed something. Clearly if this is how Reid gauges players ability no wonder he spends most of his time as a pundit.

Absolutely agree, wouldn't cross the road to watch any of those 4 (and yes, i did see all of them play).

Equally, some think these days will never end. They will. Everything ends. The mighty will fall.

Something inside me says that football will start going backwards again in my lifetime.

The English league has been going for over 100yrs, it seems incredible to think that we may still have a very similar setup in another 100yrs time, I can't begin to fathom what the media coverage could be like. I would expect you'd have the match experience in your own living room, only the view from your seat is in the thick of the action with virtual players running around you. Hopefully money being an advantage will be eradicated in some way, and anyone could win the league with a bit of grit and a decent manager.

listenign to the iPod....classic after classic......Inspiral Carpets on now..."this is how it feels"....and recallign going to Manchester United and singing it to them....."this is how it feels when your team wins nothing at allllllllll" and "have you ever won the league" (to around 30,000 of them)

and now......

well...

ITV 4 shows The Big Match Revisited on Sat/Sun mornings if you want to see some classic football. Rams v Fulham was the most recent match. The game where fans stood on the touchline and one "tackled" a Fulham player!

WEnt on holiday to Majorca straight after this match and there was a very nice chatty Fulham fan in our hotel..until he saw our Rams shirts then he went off us for the rest of the holiday!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Think it was Gordon Davies that got kicked!!

It is nice that read that at least two of the 7000 are on this site. When I read this thread again I wondered how some part of everything I write ends up not making sense. For example, there is an unnecessary question mark became attached to one of my comments. I change my mind a lot as I write. Words and sentences are moved around and this leaves orphan words hanging around. It is a bit like the way we edit our memories. Some of my memories don't make sense. For example, Kevin Hector is one of Derby's all time heroes and yet under Dave Mackay's managerial reign Hector seemed a forgotten or even superfluous figure. Did he really drop in our estimation or is my memory playing tricks? I know he was overshadowed a little by Charlie George and Francis Lee.

It often puzzled me that Leeds didn't sign Hector when he was at Bradford Park Avenue, but they had so many top forwards that they could let Jimmy Greenhoff go. Derby could not afford to let anyone go. The main reason for Derby's decline is that they lacked strength in depth especially up front. After Hinton and O'Hare were signed I think they went about six years before they spent any money on forwards. I'm not counting Roger Davies because he hardly cost anything. And then when Hinton and Davies left we ended playing with some Second Divison or even Third Division standard players and that cost Dave Mackay his job. In fact, I think Dave took a couple of these players to Walsall when he was manager there.

Archived