Rams lucky to have Hendrick

Curtains

I think this is what happens when you have a very young side and have to depend on a player who has just one full season of professional football under his belt.

Hendrick only made his professional debut 18 months ago and his ability and experience relative to his status as a first-choice central midfielder is far from ideal.

It's exciting to have all these young players come through but I don't think the circumstances are quite right for their development sometimes.

There is a danger that some of them could plateau, in Hendrick's case due to a lack of competition for places and the lack of a senior player in the midfield.

You have to wonder where does Hendrick find the motivation to improve as a player if he knows he'll start every week? Who does he learn from if he is playing alongside Bryson every week?

His rapid progress from prospect to guaranteed starter is going to make this season very difficult for him. He can no longer play with freedom and without expectation. He's expected to play at a consistent level befitting his first-choice status and that might be beyond a player who wasn't considered a particularly remarkable talent in the first place.

And for someone who is, it wouldn't surprise me if we are having the same kind of discussion about Will Hughes this time next year either.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's slim pickings with the transfer window closed and emergency loans and free transfers the only alternatives.

I'm not sure who is available at this very moment to give you a definitive answer but I will say when Richie Wellens signed for Ipswich on loan, I did think to myself he'd fit the bill for us in terms of the experienced player we need.

But after what happened with Tom Carroll, I imagine Clough is probably quite reluctant to try his hand in the loan market unless we have 10 first-team players out or something outrageous.

I'd hope though that come January, he takes a look at it.

Well it's slim pickings with the transfer window closed and emergency loans and free transfers the only alternatives.

I'm not sure who is available at this very moment to give you a definitive answer but I will say when Richie Wellens signed for Ipswich on loan, I did think to myself he'd fit the bill for us in terms of the experienced player we need.

But after what happened with Tom Carroll, I imagine Clough is probably quite reluctant to try his hand in the loan market unless we have 10 first-team players out or something outrageous.

I'd hope though that come January, he takes a look at it.

You sum it up well there Jourdan...I'm not sure who is available at this very moment to give you a definitive answer,...

none of us do.

I bet Clough does though.

I can't see us bringing in anyone on loan unless we have an injury crisis. Clough keeps banging on about the tight knit squad, the 18 man squad etc. If he was going to get another centre mid he would have got one in the Summer.

The fellas next to me on Sat were giving Hendrick all kinds of stick but I really couldn't see why. He was constantly making himself available in the middle of the park, picking the ball up, looking and then playing it simple. Granted it was often a side-ways or backwards pass, but considering there was bog all movement up front for him, I'd rather he just do that than poking it straight to their defence when there's nothing on ahead of him.

From what I've seen this season, it almost seems as though he's reined in his more attacking tendencies and has decided/been told to sit a little deeper and try to control things.

The fact of the matter is, Hendrick Essa vital cog in almost all our decent performances last season.

He was also an unknown quantity.

This season, he's not been given the same space or time on the ball. He's now playing against some managers for the third time...anyone who has had their job for that long in this league should know who he is and how to stop his game. He's been sussed.

Pearson is right, Hendrick's options on the ball often get snuffed out and that's because managers have been doing their homework. Watford came and Zola fully admitted he didn't know enough about us and we hammered them, and no one had a bad game that day.

Hendrick is not an experienced player and he's not old and he's still on a steep learning curve. His career has the potential to end in around 2025, when the world will be a very very different place. Isn't it obvious therefore, that it's still early days for him, and that inexperience is still likely to affect his game?

The first season was god for Hendrick. He established himself. Now he's got to learn how to adapt his game given that most of the league recognises he's established in our team.

I like Hendrick and think he will play premier league football, but do think now would have been a good time to bring bailey back in if he was still here

Like.."if we had some sausages we could have some sausages and chips...if we had some chips!" 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Hendrick was brilliant last season and was exactly what we needed. After years of having crap, stupid and weak midfielders, we needed someone with a calm head who could get the ball down and do the basics right. Strange that it came from a 20 year old. The failure to get Eustace didn't seem to matter.

Curtains, I'm with you in saying Hendrick is a decent player, but surely this season you must have noticed that he has been our weak link, and by his own high standards, he's been very poor. His passing is inconsistent, his defending has been suspect and on many occasions he's simply not been in the game.

Today, he was a lot better but if you're in such of "quality", then the only players that showed that today were Brayford, Coutts and Hughes, without whom I can't see us creating much at all. Hughes vision is an absolute gift, Coutts ability to carry the ball kept our tempo up and he was always available for the pass second half, and Brayford coming forward was utterly sublime.

Oh, and our centre backs were outstanding. Buxton especially.

Couldnt agree any more!

When Hughes went off I realised how much we need him. His passing is superb!

As for Hendrick. I'd much rather see Jacobs on the left and push Hughes into the middle.

Couldnt agree any more!

When Hughes went off I realised how much we need him. His passing is superb!

As for Hendrick. I'd much rather see Jacobs on the left and push Hughes into the middle.

It is a big ask of Hughes to put him in the central midfield two at this stage. It is more likely that he will be eventually asked to play a deeper role away from home and off the the striker(s) at home. NC is absolutely correct to play him where he has space to operate as he has done. I may be wrong but I can't think of a time when I ever have been 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

It is a big ask of Hughes to put him in the central midfield two at this stage. It is more likely that he will be eventually asked to play a deeper role away from home and off the the striker(s) at home. NC is absolutely correct to play him where he has space to operate as he has done. I may be wrong but I can't think of a time when I ever have been 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Yes its a big ask but why not give it a try? Hes 17 and already started about 10 games this season. Give him a chance.

If anything it may make Hendrick feel as though he has to pick up his performances.

Archived