Rams lucky to have Hendrick

Curtains

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't say 'quality'. Hughes is 'quality', Whittingham is 'quality' as is Tom Ince. These players will play in the premiership, maybe Whittingham has left it a bit too late, but Ince is already being linked to big moves. Hendrick, has too many peaks and troughs to be a top I think, I can't see what this 'second season syndrome' has to do with anything, he's played 50 odd games, so I can't see any reason why a player should dip. He's not a game changer, and doesnt score many, nor create many goals for a midfielder. Championship is his level.

I think he's been a bit invisible this season tbh.

Last season we saw, in patches, a player that can break late into the box, pick great penetrating passes, show a little strength sometimes. Him and Bryson lacked bite though, but still, they were capable of carrying the team at times.

I just think this season he's been very pedestrian. So much so that if we had a good right sided player on the bench I could see Coutts moving central and Hendrick struggling to get back in the side.

Maybe he's enjoying a lack of competition being the only CM at the club with decent height and ok strength except Coutts who is doing superb on the right.

Having said all that, he's young. He's talented. He's not bad at anything really. He's a good passer, hard worker and he's not really making many silly errors every other week.

Just needs to apply himself a bit better this season.

Not sure if I'd put Hendrick in the 'unnoticed' category. I've never understood the hype around him, if he was 28 and bought from League 1 would fans give him the same time? I doubt it. My biggest problem is I can't see the potential in him, as has been said, he's distinctly average at most things and I think that's the way he'll stay.

He is young though. I know young doesn't always mean he'll improve but he does have some quality. I think with the right guidance he does have the potential to be as good as say McGugan (on his day a top championship player.... rare that his day is)

The one I don't get is Mark O'Brien. Naive, slow and poor on the ball. He's not a patch on Buxton yet nobody would say Buxton would be good enough in the highest tier. I saw more in Nyatanga and he's got stuck.

Just do not agree . Effectively the Rams play with 2 in the middle of the park so for long periods Jeff is chasing shadows and cant get on the ball.

But when he does get the ball, all he does is pass it sideways 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

He's not like Hughes, for example, who plays quick give and go balls into feet looking to attack. If anything Hendrick slows the play down. It's fine having players like that but unless they contribute more to the team as a whole ie tough tackling midfielder, then I don't see the point.

Its a fallacy to say Hendrick can't pass a ball he's the nearest thing that Derby will ever afford or get to Paul Scholes

Where did I say he can't pass the ball? He plays a brilliant 15 yard sideways pass (probably learned that from Savage 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />)

Comparing him to Scholes is somewhat debatable, think about Scholes at 20 and tell me their similar players.

he's not played great this season but he's not been sh*te either...give or take a few mistakes. i think him and bryson work very well in the middle together for the first half... then teams find it very hard to play against a different style when we change and stick hughes in there as well. hendrick is important... just a bit out of form... but he's 20. and thats normal

Coutts and Bryson sounds alright to me. I like Coutts attitude. But then who plays down the right? Brayford? We have plenty of full backs. Bavies? Bennett did alright once before. Tyson/Jacobs? Ward and Tyson/Jacobs both cutting inside or swapping flanks?

We're a midfielder short (as we have been for a couple of years) either way you look at it.

I'd stick with Hendrick for a few more games. We're doing alright as a team.

Archived