Not watched the last 4 games since Pearson sacked

Curtains

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Defence has been solid (still a few mistakes happening) despite the left back injuries and the new centre back partnership. Johnson has done very well in the Thorne role and Hughes and Butterfield have had much more freedom to play their creative game now we're back to 4-3-3. Ince has improved but his finishing has still been poor. Anya and Vydra have both played well and as every game passes they seem to be settling more into the team. And Johnny Russell has been brilliant when coming off the bench. So to summarise, we've definitely improved but there's still a long way to go until we get anywhere near the level we were at during the previous McClaren reign.

Whilst I wouldn't say we've been 'great', it's a marked improvement on anything Pearson produced. We are playing like a team, we have semblance of playstyle and tactics and for the most part players seem to know what is being asked of them. None of which were present under Pearson.

16 minutes ago, curtains said:

I will next season but might use my season ticket sometimes this season. 

I would use your season ticket curtains, because what is being offered now is definitely better than when Pearson was in charge.

The two home games have certainly been much better than anything Pearson served up although the Brentford game was a bit of an anti climax as I naively expected an improvement on the Leeds game which clearly has been the best home performance of the season thus far. We still have a lot of work to do in attacking areas but it's been better.

As for away I couldn't say. Not been to any.

In an attacking sense, we've been fairly easy to defend against, a bit slow, lacking confidence and a bit of quality. Will Hughes being injured had an impact against Brentford. 

The positives are the form of Carson, Keogh, Pearce and Johnson as an anchor to the team. They look very solid, and we have a bit of identity and a recognisable shape and plan from that base. All new compared to the Pearson era.

What we need now is time, patience, a centre forward and a bit of confidence to flow back. Maybe a bit of genuine pace or trickery wide. Green shoots of recovery are there, but they're fragile and we lack key skills in key areas.

**** we blew that £30m. 

Curtains, you know I wouldn't lie to you.

Yes, in philosophy, there's a massive improvement. The intent is to pass with purpose again. There is clearly a lot of work to be done on movement, and also on decision making, in particular, Anya and Christie knowing when to release the ball.

You could see McClaren's work already on Vydra, using his body and backside to spin the defender, which is classic McClaren coaching. The finishing and creating of clear cut chances need working on. The play also needs to be a bit further advanced with a lot of it 20yards from the area, meaning a long distance to travel for close-range shot, or unlikely (to score) long-range shot.

Given that there'd only been possibly 3 days training with McClaren, it's understandable that not everything is fixed, and nor should it be. But you could see massive improvements, in my opinion, in the middle-third of the pitch, and in defence. 

20 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Curtains, you know I wouldn't lie to you.

Yes, in philosophy, there's a massive improvement. The intent is to pass with purpose again. There is clearly a lot of work to be done on movement, and also on decision making, in particular, Anya and Christie knowing when to release the ball.

You could see McClaren's work already on Vydra, using his body and backside to spin the defender, which is classic McClaren coaching. The finishing and creating of clear cut chances need working on. The play also needs to be a bit further advanced with a lot of it 20yards from the area, meaning a long distance to travel for close-range shot, or unlikely (to score) long-range shot.

Given that there'd only been possibly 3 days training with McClaren, it's understandable that not everything is fixed, and nor should it be. But you could see massive improvements, in my opinion, in the middle-third of the pitch, and in defence. 

A very good summation of current affairs @Mostyn6, that's my view as well.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Did you win a competition or something, ya lucky bugger..

Yes and no in answer to your question. Would have been difficult to have got any worse..

No but I am a lucky fella. 

Next two games will test us but I'm hoping for 6 points. 

Archived