Sam Longson memorial...

StockholmRam

4 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Once the Sam one is sorted I think there are grounds for another for Boycie and Daveo.. Like a 2 headed Bicephalic type thing. Top row of South Stand be a good place. 

I've been told that Daveo's bust would have to wear a hat. Them floodlights could dazzle a player on the pitch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, whaley bridge Ram said:

Good idea to have a lounge named after Sam 

i new him in person he deserves more credit 

he loved this club like me and many more like us

Sir Mel is the same as Sam a true fan

He took me to a few games at when I was a kid

wot he didn't no about the Rams not worth knowing

an old pal of his from chapel still attends every home

game at the young age of 96 

Do you know the Mulhollands then Whaley? 

My old man used to fall in the camp of harsh critic, blaming him for the demise but he did always say it was a master stroke bringing in Mackay. Was bit before my time, but swear blind I read somewhere Sam had been pushed aside when Mackay was sacked? 

Wasnt it George Hardy that bought in Addison? Only ask because I remember hearing Dave Mackay speak good things about Longson coming to sign him, seemed like he was his man and the only man able to do the job at the time? That move surely deserves more credit than he ever got because of the Clough sacking.

2 hours ago, whaley bridge Ram said:

Good idea to have a lounge named after Sam 

i new him in person he deserves more credit 

he loved this club like me and many more like us

Sir Mel is the same as Sam a true fan

He took me to a few games at when I was a kid

wot he didn't no about the Rams not worth knowing

an old pal of his from chapel still attends every home

game at the young age of 96 

What a **** poem, doesn't even rhyme!

9 hours ago, Kernow said:

What a **** poem, doesn't even rhyme!

Blind verse.

I write that after a night on the Belgian brews.

Oh sorry, that's blind drunk verse.

22 hours ago, eddie said:

Didn't it all start after we'd won 1-0 at Old Trafford (first minute goal by Zak if I remember rightly) - with Jack Kirkland basically questioning what Peter Taylor brought to the club, then it went downhill from there?

I have read that or seen an interview about that too somewhere back in time. 

Clough and Taylor invited into the boardroom with wives at Old Trafford and Kirkland beckoned Taylor over and said report to him on Monday..I want to know exactly what it is you do at this club!! Or words to that effect.

There was another episode of Cloughies brazen nature at Old Trafford around that time. Could have been this game. He was accused of " flicking the v sign" at Sir Matt Busby prior to the game. Cloughie claimed he was waving to Barbara!!

Anyone else recall this or have I dreamed it... Again. I do dream about Brian Clough. 

27 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I have read that or seen an interview about that too somewhere back in time. 

Clough and Taylor invited into the boardroom with wives at Old Trafford and Kirkland beckoned Taylor over and said report to him on Monday..I want to know exactly what it is you do at this club!! Or words to that effect.

There was another episode of Cloughies brazen nature at Old Trafford around that time. Could have been this game. He was accused of " flicking the v sign" at Sir Matt Busby prior to the game. Cloughie claimed he was waving to Barbara!!

Anyone else recall this or have I dreamed it... Again. I do dream about Brian Clough. 

Those match my recollections of what I was told precisely.

17 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Sam didn't sack Dave. I'm trying to think of the chairman's name who did. I keep getting the name Hardy in my head. Perhaps someone on here can help.

I think it was George Hardy too.

Sam did brilliantly getting Brian and Dave as managers. Always going to come a point of no return between Brian and Sam but it was made worse a lot worse by Brian going to Florist, which had nothing to do with Sam. In short , we won the League twice because of Sams's choice of Manager.

I was at school in Buxton with Sam's nephew. A really nice lad, and a true sportsman.If he was typical of the Longson family, then yes, he should be remembered.

Sam and Brian were the living epitome of the irresistible force and the immovable object.

Was Hardy the one who owned a gents outfitters?

I used to hate sam longson.

i was firmly in the clough camp.

but you get a different perspective as you get older.

now.....i quite like sam.

He had a tough time trying to control brian.

even brian seemed to forgive him. He later paid tribute saying the people at derby were some of the nicest people he ever worked for. 

Sam's Story was a disappointing read. A bit like Roy Macs book. It just didn't say enough.

as far as i remember there was no mention for example of the approach for bobby robson.

Or why they didn't go back for clough and make amends.

as for the tribute.....

he doesn't warrant a statue - (hector and mcfarland do)  - but maybe name the player of the year trophy after him?

5 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I was at school in Buxton with Sam's nephew. A really nice lad, and a true sportsman.If he was typical of the Longson family, then yes, he should be remembered.

Sam and Brian were the living epitome of the irresistible force and the immovable object.

Was Hardy the one who owned a gents outfitters?

No .....that was sydney bradley.

Sam was a legend in our area I remember he spread the name of

Derby County in our area as much as any fan would , I sometime 

saw him on a match day morning before he set off for a home game

The  excitement in the mans face and to listen to him was great

i no the feeling well I am still the same as I was then as a young lad

Derby have still a big following around here and a lot is down to Sam

Preaching about his beloved Rams 

Hmm.. Not as divisive as I thought then. SAMs grandson told me that one of the reasons the club were " softly softly" about this was because they did not want to upset the fans especially the older ones. It was Tom Glick that he spoke to then and there have been numerous discussions with Sam Rush I believe. 

Seems more like they didn't want to upset Nige. 

Sams Story as a book I agree is lacking somewhat. But it's quite difficult I imagine to write a whole autobiography or story from a dead persons memories. 

4 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I might be wrong but didn't Derby go top of the league after this game and Cloughy gave Matt Busby the V sign. Never did find out whether it was the Churchill V or the reverse Churchill V aka Harvey Smith V

It's true we went top of the league (I know... cos I was there). I have no idea where and when the v-sign story started - I'd never heard hit before, until I read this thread.

Not all city and utd up here ask the real blues and reds

they will put you right the ones you asked are probably 

from town any way who move into our area many of them

they only no red and blue and take no notice of

any other fans around them our trip to wembley v W B A 

we took 2coach loads down all local and many young and

old where SAMs doing as many dads and granddads worked

for him as mine did , the first time we won the league wot did

sam do ! Turn up a chapel club with the trophy I bet not many

chairmen have done that   

2 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

That's the man. George hardy. No need to go 50/50 or phone a friend. Well remembered Eddie.

Yep you confirmed what I thought too.

taken from an interview with Dave Mackay, confirming Longson had been moved aside

How did you feel when Derby, who you took to the title, sacked you? 

One of the board members, George Hardy, a scrap millionaire, wanted Cloughie back.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/dave-mackay-one-one#jPqXt6HFZQSQdzZS.99

49 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's true we went top of the league (I know... cos I was there). I have no idea where and when the v-sign story started - I'd never heard hit before, until I read this thread.

Brian clough told the v sign story.

he said that there was an allegation that he gave sir matt busby ( or his wife) the v sign.

He was offended by that as he clearly respected sir matt

but it was ambiguous as to whether brian did an alan macgregor and gave subtle v signs to sam and it was that which set kirkland off.

24 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Seem to recall a big hullabaloo in the press at the time regarding the V sign to Sir Matt. Could have been someone stirring the pot though. 

I got the impression that it was true.

but that the v sign was discrete - plausible deniability etc - and directed at sam who was talking to sir matt and his wife.

Wherever you get success you get these silly stories of jealousies and egos.

all great partnerships eventually split amid acrimony.

All great men eventually distrust the people around them.

Archived