Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was a player I'd rather move to the Serie A than the Championship. :ph34r:

Agreed. It would do wonders for his quest to be called up for the national side if he did well in that league.

There was an article on the BBC a while back saying he's keen. Lets hope they don't re-bid

Agreed. It would do wonders for his quest to be called up for the national side if he did well in that league.

There was an article on the BBC a while back saying he's keen. Lets hope they don't re-bid

He is scottish, if he does well in this division he will get more recognition surely?

Well, unless it is one of the top italian sides in for him - but I doubt it, the italian league is a dying one for me... fans are down, investment is down... it's not the hotspot! 

If we make him believe we'll be a premier league club soon, he'd be foolish not to sign! plus, if he does well - the chances of a premier league club coming in for him is very good.

The pull would obviously be playing AGAINST big clubs, but, I think he'd become a myth if he went there (personally)

Looks like he has better options than us... Celtic leading the race according to back page of tomorrow's Daily Record. I'd put a pic of it on here but don't know how? Someone clever than me find it on Twitter and post please!

JOHNNY Russell has moved ahead of James Vaughan in Derby County’s search for a striker"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1">.

Russell is on Nigel Clough’s wanted list and Derby spoke to Dundee United officials about the player late last week.

The Rams are not out of the hunt for Norwich City forward Vaughan but their focus has switched to Russell.

The 23-year-old has a year to run on his contract and he will not sign an extension.

United are willing to sell Russell this summer and the Scottish Premier League club is looking for a fee of around £750,000.

The Derby Telegraph understands a fee was discussed during talks last week but no bid had been made at the time of writing.

United chairman Stephen Thompson has said three clubs in the top half of the Championship"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> are tracking Russell and that one had tabled a bid.

Thompson added: “Johnny won’t renew or extend his contract. We’ve been told that by his agent.

“So it’s a situation where we’ve got to look after and protect the club at the end of the day, which means that we should be selling him in the summer.

“There has been an English club who has made a bid. It’s not quite what we’d like and others have spoken to us but I will not say anything more.”

United rejected offers from Italian club Catania, the second of which was 450,000 euros.

Sheffield United also showed interest in January and Huddersfield Town had a £1.25m double bid for Russell and winger Gary Mackay-Steven rejected in August.

Russell is on a list of transfer targets as Derby continue their efforts to bolster the squad ahead of next season.

They have already signed goalkeeper"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> Lee Grant and forward Chris Martin from Burnley and Norwich City.

Russell was Dundee United’s top scorer last season with 20 goals in 38 games"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1">

A broken leg sidelined him in early March before he returned to action"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> in the final three games of the season.

The former Scotland Under-21 international’s record for United is 46 goals in 120 appearances.

Vaughan scored 14 goals on loan at Huddersfield last season and he has a year to run on his contract at Norwich.

It is believed the Canaries are willing to listen to offers for the 24-year-old and Huddersfield look favourites to land him.

Reports linking Stoke City midfielder Dean Whitehead are wide of the mark and the Rams are unlikely to move for Brentford’s Harry Forrester.

The 22-year-old attacking midfielder is out of contract.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Russell-ahead-Vaughan-Rams-wanted-list/story-19113271-detail/story.html#ixzz2UfCyBNwV
Follow us: @DerbyshireNews on Twitter | thisisderbyshirenews on Facebook

He'd be an idiot to stay in the SPL, rubbish league.

Johnny Russell the Celtic fan that could play for the club he supports, live in his home country, guaranteed SPL title medals in his cabinet and play in the Champions League. Yes what an idiot he'd be :rolleyes:

To be fair I followed someone with one shoe past some juniper bushes the last time I had a sign.

Heretic. You should have followed the gourd.

Johnny Russell the Celtic fan that could play for the club he supports, live in his home country, guaranteed SPL title medals in his cabinet and play in the Champions League. Yes what an idiot he'd be :rolleyes:

Yeah but the league in general is a bore. 

If he wants to rot in the SPL, then fair enough. 

Yeah but the league in general is a bore.

If he wants to rot in the SPL, then fair enough.

It's a bore to you because you have no emotional attachment to any SPL clubs, Kris Commons doesn't look like he's rotting up there either, in fact he seems rather happy playing in the Champions League.......do you think he's missing the chance of winning the Brian Clough Trophy? Doubt it.

Celtic are a massive club playing European football and winning silverwear each season, Derby simply cannot compete with a club like that regardless of what you think of the SPL, I'd put money on it that the majority of our squad would jump at the chance to join Celtic.

Archived