Dave Mackay THE Legend

Brammie Steve

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He presented me with a bottle of champagne a few years back in the pedigree suite after me and a mate won the pre match quiz, he was the pre game speaker as David Speedie hadn't shown up so he stepped in at the last minute, talk about an upgrade. Never saw him play unfortunately

My pennyworth:

First time I saw him was as a young lad in the second division promotion year at Oxford Utd. He played sweeper at the back and "directed" the team perfectly. He was head and shoulders above all on the pitch in reading the game. The Oxford fans around us (no segregation in those days) were saying it was like watching men against boys. McKay had the defence and team drilled to perfection you could hear him barking out orders all the time to the young Derby team around him.

What really summed him up, apart from grabbing Billy Bremner by the throat (Leeds dirty little captain) was in that Oxford game after the Rams were 2 - 0 up (I think) Oxford had a bit of pressure. The home fans got involved and they were charging forward. It sounds simple but at the very peak of the home fans baying for a goal and their strikers charging forward a long punt forward beat McFarland shot forward and was heading for McKay at a rate of knots with a big burly guy right behind in hot pursuit. McKay seemed to take ages to do anything about the situation but as calm as you like he just let the ball run through his legs back to Les Green (RIP). That one act of sheer calmness and reading of the game seemed to defeat not only the Oxford fans but the Oxford team as well. Not long after they were arguing among themselves. The Derby fans behind the goal started chanting "Nah Nah Na Nah Nah.........Just because your losing"........Classic! Derby ran out comfotable winners. That season Dave Mckay was a class above everyone else!

Aaah memories...........

The younger members can never understand the context of Dave Mackay joining Derby. At the time he was one of the top players in the country, same bracket as Best, Charlton, Greaves etc Today we'd be talking Gerrard, Rooney or Ya Ya Toure!

Clough persuaded him to drop down to the 2nd Division, we won the league, got promoted and Mackay was voted joint footballer of the year.

As Derby manager his record in the top tier was 3rd, 1st, 4th.......legend indeed.

Then unforgiveably sacked and replaced by a succession of clowns not fit to lace his boots who took us on a downward spiral for years afterwards. I think his acheivements as manager are often overlooked in the shadow of Brian Clough but he built on Cloughs foundations, signed some great players and created a fantastic team of his own. A great man indeed.

Never had the privilege of seeing him play but have seen him do a dinner speech once. Seemed very down to earth guy; came to sit with us in the stands after the meal. Obviously he could have gone and sat in the posh seats but wanted to be near those who'd paid to see him talk. He did talk about that famous picture of him warmly shaking Bremner by the throat - said that in later life they turned out to be very good friends, believe it or not.

It's one of the few good things about being http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/thinking/old-025, being able to remember you saw some of the game's greats in the flesh and McKay was certainly one of them. A true leader of men and tough as old boots but he could play a bit as well, he wasn't just a hatchet man like your Chopper Harris's.

He had manners did Dave, when he flattened someone he would often be around to help them up. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/thinking/old-025I remember vividly going to Stamford Bridge with my bro. We were standing fairly near the middle when Ron Webster had to leave the pitch to get treated for an injury.

He kept trying to attract the ref's attention when he was ready to come back on.

Dave Mackay's voice rang out clear as a scots bell "Just come back on Ron, This blind ref hasn't seen you!" (at least that is the gist of what he shouted!)

The ref immediately blew and I thought we were about to witness a rare Mackay booking. Actually all the ref did was to beckon Ron to come back on to the field of play. Such was the respect Dave commanded.

And no one could sink a ball into the BBG mud with quite the same aplomb!

jimmy husband would probably not agree. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Maybe, but Dave was on the receiving end of career terminating leg breakers.

I hear that you don’t like that famous pic of you and Billy Bremner because people forget how good a footballer you were. You must admit, though, it’s a great shot!

Paolo, Holloway

I get asked to autograph that photo all the time. But I don’t like it because it portrays me as a bully – he’s smaller than me and I’m picking him up. I’m not a bully and don’t like bullies. He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little *******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one, I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one, and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day. Alex Ferguson has that picture hanging in his office. I’m a good pal of Alex; I go at least once a year to see Man United, then back to his place.

Is it true that the only time it looked as if you might be sent off in your entire career, you talked the referee out of it?

Avi Chaudhuri, West Hampstead

Yes, I was so dirty I was never sent off in my whole life! It was against Bristol City in the FA Cup [for Spurs in 1967]. I had an argument with Johnny Quigley, who I’d played against when he was at Forest. The referee says he’s going to send me off, so I ran after Quigley and got him to tell the ref what had gone on; he’d done something the ref hadn’t seen but he’d seen my retaliation. The ref sent off neither of us.

[isobel Mackay intervenes: “Every time I saw Brian at a function, he’d say to me, ‘Your husband kept me in my job at Derby – and taught my Nigel how to play football!’”]

[url=http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/one-on-one/219/article.aspx]http://fourfourtwo.c...19/article.aspx

The younger members can never understand the context of Dave Mackay joining Derby. At the time he was one of the top players in the country, same bracket as Best, Charlton, Greaves etc Today we'd be talking Gerrard, Rooney or Ya Ya Toure!

Clough persuaded him to drop down to the 2nd Division, we won the league, got promoted and Mackay was voted joint footballer of the year.

As Derby manager his record in the top tier was 3rd, 1st, 4th.......legend indeed.

Dead right Uttox. Except that none of those current players are fit to tie Dave Mackay's bootlaces. In today's market he would be worth many, many millions. He was a better leader and player.

Lucky though I was to see him play in a Rams shirt on many occasions and on many great occasions, the side he created and managed was a wonderful team. Probably the best I have seen in any shirt, probably bar the current Barcelona side. And yes I am biased.

But I still reckon I have an argument - internationals galore, skill in abundance, experience all over the field, goal scoring threat, defensive genius, midfield aggression, skill and endeavour in equal measure. At its best that side was the best. And proved it, in England and Europe. As has been said elsewhere his disgraceful departure saw the start of our medium and perhaps, over time, long term decline

Dead right Uttox. Except that none of those current players are fit to tie Dave Mackay's bootlaces. In today's market he would be worth many, many millions. He was a better leader and player.

Lucky though I was to see him play in a Rams shirt on many occasions and on many great occasions, the side he created and managed was a wonderful team. Probably the best I have seen in any shirt, probably bar the current Barcelona side. And yes I am biased.

But I still reckon I have an argument - internationals galore, skill in abundance, experience all over the field, goal scoring threat, defensive genius, midfield aggression, skill and endeavour in equal measure. At its best that side was the best. And proved it, in England and Europe. As has been said elsewhere his disgraceful departure saw the start of our medium and perhaps, over time, long term decline

Interesting Topic in itself!

On the pitch it took the greatest Midfielder I've ever seen (Colin Todd) to replace him. (IMO anyway, and, yes, I did see Bobby Moore.)

It took Dave Mackay to replace Clough and Taylor at THE manager's desk.

The more I think of it, the more I appreciate the real Mackay!

Interesting Topic in itself!

On the pitch it took the greatest Midfielder I've ever seen (Colin Todd) to replace him. (IMO anyway, and, yes, I did see Bobby Moore.)

It took Dave Mackay to replace Clough and Taylor at THE manager's desk.

The more I think of it, the more I appreciate the real Mackay!

Perhaps we ought to start a new topic Steve?!

I agree. I've lost count of the number of times I have shouted abuse at eulogies to Bobby Moore. I know Sir Brian wanted to sign him, and nearly did, so he was undoubtedly a good player, but Toddy was just better - quicker, harder in the tackle, and a better tackler in my view, just as good at reading the game (supposedly Bobby's strong point) and an excellent passer of the ball.

One of my deep memories of Toddy is of him giving Malcolm Macdonald a two yard start on the BBG mud (for younger viewers MM played for Newcastle at number 9 and could do 100 yds in around 10 seconds. He was quick. And strong). But Toddy caught him up within 10 yards and took the ball off him clean as a whistle

I don't think, with hindsight, that anyone other than Dave Mackay could have taken over from BC given the atmosphere and strength of feeling that was around the town and the club at the time. Never mind what was happening with the players. Sam Longson may have done many things wrong but he was right with both DC and DM as managers. The fact that DM then went on to make Brian's wonderful team even better was just icing on the cake.

Perhaps we ought to start a new topic Steve?!

I agree. I've lost count of the number of times I have shouted abuse at eulogies to Bobby Moore. I know Sir Brian wanted to sign him, and nearly did, so he was undoubtedly a good player, but Toddy was just better - quicker, harder in the tackle, and a better tackler in my view, just as good at reading the game (supposedly Bobby's strong point) and an excellent passer of the ball.

One of my deep memories of Toddy is of him giving Malcolm Macdonald a two yard start on the BBG mud (for younger viewers MM played for Newcastle at number 9 and could do 100 yds in around 10 seconds. He was quick. And strong). But Toddy caught him up within 10 yards and took the ball off him clean as a whistle

I don't think, with hindsight, that anyone other than Dave Mackay could have taken over from BC given the atmosphere and strength of feeling that was around the town and the club at the time. Never mind what was happening with the players. Sam Longson may have done many things wrong but he was right with both DC and DM as managers. The fact that DM then went on to make Brian's wonderful team even better was just icing on the cake.

Toddy was unfortunate enough to be banned from playing for his country for two years after putting his family first at the end of a cripplingly hard season. England cut off their nose to spite their faces there, or was it to protect saint Bobby M's position and captaincy?

Anyone who could buy a player like Charlie George, calm his wild spirit and still bring out the best in him as a player has got to be a genius at man management.

I recall Dave Mackay saying "we've stolen him at £100,000!" Master of the understatement our Dave. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

We're talking priceless players here!

Oh, did I hear someone mention Francis Lee?http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/thinking/old-025

Archived