James Vaughan

matty1

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Vaughan is that good why are we snatching him from under the noses of a team who have been ensconced in a relegation battle since Xmas? Might as well just stick with what we've got, can only see him adding to the overall squad numbers

Well, he's got 13 goals in a ***** Huddersfield side, that's already an improvement as our striker has 8 goals. 

But also it would send out a message that we are not pushovers anymore in this division. Gary hooper and Jamie mackie spring to mind.

Am sure that the board wouldn't sanction the money for the Hooper deal when he was at Scunny, can't see anything changing remarkably in the near future so it will come down to if the wages are right

James Vaugan has nearly scored a goal every two games this season... isn't that something to bare in mind?

I mean, what were people expecting? I think when fans start talking about strikers, unless they're the first 3/4 names in the division they tend to pick fault for fault sake... 

A 1 in 2 striker, under 25 for less than a million.. I know he has injury problems, but if he didn't he would be out of our reach.

What Vaughan has is technical ability, good pace.. strength, and is a good footballer... he is the sort of striker that could go one season, score 25/26 goals and I wouldn't be surprised, equally wouldn't be surprised if he got injured pre-season and missed the season... is it worth the gamble? well, I always told that fortune favours the bold. 

Huddersfield fans really rate him, 30 starts this season out of 46... Hardly the worst. 

James Vaugan has nearly scored a goal every two games this season... isn't that something to bare in mind?

I mean, what were people expecting? I think when fans start talking about strikers, unless they're the first 3/4 names in the division they tend to pick fault for fault sake... 

A 1 in 2 striker, under 25 for less than a million.. I know he has injury problems, but if he didn't he would be out of our reach.

What Vaughan has is technical ability, good pace.. strength, and is a good footballer... he is the sort of striker that could go one season, score 25/26 goals and I wouldn't be surprised, equally wouldn't be surprised if he got injured pre-season and missed the season... is it worth the gamble? well, I always told that fortune favours the bold. 

Huddersfield fans really rate him, 30 starts this season out of 46... Hardly the worst. 

I agree that fortune favours the brave...that's why Tony Pulis put Michael Owen on a pay as you play contract, look at the results......his record after leaving Everton is pretty much 1 goal in 3 games which isn't shabby especially with his injury record which wouldn't have helped his continuity, just think it's a massive gamble to pay 3/4's of a million on a player with a hugely suspect injury record

Exactly 

You look at players like Sammon and know that they could never ever get more than 20 goals in one season.

However players like Steve Davies, James Vaughan, Jamie Ward etc. have the capability to get that amount of goals but things like injury hold them back.

I agree that fortune favours the brave...that's why Tony Pulis put Michael Owen on a pay as you play contract, look at the results......his record after leaving Everton is pretty much 1 goal in 3 games which isn't shabby especially with his injury record which wouldn't have helped his continuity, just think it's a massive gamble to pay 3/4's of a million on a player with a hugely suspect injury record

Well if i am being blunt if we spend less on Vaughan than we spent on sammon i would say thats good because Vaughan is double the player Sammon is or ever will be.

Exactly 

You look at players like Sammon and know that they could never ever get more than 20 goals in one season.

However players like Steve Davies, James Vaughan, Jamie Ward etc. have the capability to get that amount of goals but things like injury hold them back.

Steven Davies has played 38 games this season and only got 13 goals... Has he ever got the magic 20+ a season or is it peoples opinion as I can't recall him ever doing it?

Steven Davies has played 38 games this season and only got 13 goals... Has he ever got the magic 20+ a season or is it peoples opinion as I can't recall him ever doing it?

neither have the other two, but they seem to possess the ability to have a good season, hit form, stay injury free and score goals.

Sammon and Tyson just wouldn't.

Well if i am being blunt if we spend less on Vaughan than we spent on sammon i would say thats good because Vaughan is double the player Sammon is or ever will be.

Aha but according to Clough one of the good points of Sammon is that he's always available and never injured which makes me wonder why if he values these attributes is he suddenly looking at signing potential crocks......do you really think we have 750k to spend on any player?

neither have the other two, but they seem to possess the ability to have a good season, hit form, stay injury free and score goals.

Sammon and Tyson just wouldn't.

but we had Davies for a good few seasons and he never did it, so don't you fear that Vaughan will be just the same, as their is no actual evidence he is capable of it.

Oh yeah that was the point i was making if these players played 90 minutes for 46 games they would get 20+ goals but they never do. However I would argue having those goals in the 30 games is more valuable.

For example this season would you rather we never had Jamie Ward at all throughout the whole season or would you rather we did not have Sammon throughout the whole season.

My opinion is you are better off having a jamie ward type player. Its just differing opinions.

I would prefer spending 300k like we did on ward and 750k on Vaugahan and spending 1.15 million than spending 1.2 million on one player that can play 46 games at score 8 goals. Im not arguing a point on this occasion just saying that is what i would do. 

but we had Davies for a good few seasons and he never did it, so don't you fear that Vaughan will be just the same, as their is no actual evidence he is capable of it.

true, but if he stayed injury clear (big 'if) he may well have done.

Fans have to realise that we can't go and sign a proven goal scorer, we have to take chances on unproven/bad injury history players.

Personally i think we could do a lot worse than Vaughan, he has scored 13 in 30 this season which is remarkable in a poor Huddersfield side.

Archived