Is Mr Nigel Clough tactically good enough at this level and should he go?

Davey B

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't a thread about individuals. I simply wanted to know what people thought.

Don't start back tracking now. this is what you said.

'I cannot see how Clough can continue. He is 3 years into a 5 year plan and all we have seen is good players leave the club, and the majority of replacements are nowhere near as good. Tonight showed that Nigel isn't up to the job.'

That isn't wanting to know what people think. That is slagging off the manager after 1 result. That is saying the manager isn't good enough. The manager is an individual. If that is what you really think, have the balls to stick to it.

The only way I'd like Clough gone is if we look much weaker. A couple of positions and pts don't do it for me.

If we look weaker and we have to battle relegation then yeah, I probably would say his transfers havent worked and he's not improving us. Give someone else a go.

But a few pts lost/gained here or there in a division that includes six new teams every year in a very tight division doesn't really seem worth fussing over.

For me, acceptable positions 9th - 15th. 60pts-ish.

Below 15th with 50pts I'd be asking questions

Above 9th with 70pts I'd be very excited for 2013/14.

Don't start back tracking now. this is what you said.

'I cannot see how Clough can continue. He is 3 years into a 5 year plan and all we have seen is good players leave the club, and the majority of replacements are nowhere near as good. Tonight showed that Nigel isn't up to the job.'

That isn't wanting to know what people think. That is slagging off the manager after 1 result. That is saying the manager isn't good enough. The manager is an individual. If that is what you really think, have the balls to stick to it.

Yh that was my post. It's my opinion, and people can air their views. You have aired yours and that's fine

Yh that was my post. It's my opinion, and people can air their views. You have aired yours and that's fine

But then you denied it by saying you were just asking what people thought? I won't waste my time with you anymore.

tonight showed us clough can get it....i think we did excellent in the first half, totally dominant

i just think he need a few more experienced players and not rely on the likes of naylor and bennet, awful decision to remove roberts who i think needs replacing but still holds a steady line and can do us a job at this level(i thought he must of gone off due to clough saying he's old...but he had enough in him to finish the match).

tonight showed us clough can get it....i think we did excellent in the first half, totally dominant

i just think he need a few more experienced players and not rely on the likes of naylor and bennet, awful decision to remove roberts who i think needs replacing but still holds a steady line and can do us a job at this level(i thought he must of gone off due to clough saying he's old...but he had enough in him to finish the match).

He is injured. He has missed most of pre-season. If Bryson and Roberts played 90 minutes today, they probably wouldn't be fit for Saturday

But then you denied it by saying you were just asking what people thought? I won't waste my time with you anymore.

When someone posts a comment on here it's bound to get a response without having to use the ? to get people to respond.

He is injured. He has missed most of pre-season. If Bryson and Roberts played 90 minutes today, they probably wouldn't be fit for Saturday

that's fair enough, unfortunate he had to go off, looked brilliant at lb today not a mistake, as for bryson he was still dire......shouldnt of taken off huges though(who was excellent and i cant see us keeping onto him for another season)

Come on!

Your team is winning 3-0 in a match for a cup in which you have no real interest because you know that there are much bigger fish to fry. The season proper starts in four days time. You're on cruise control. Your team has already given the crowd excellent value for their money. What do you do?

{content}
Go on, what?[/indent]

{content}
Risk injury to first team players[/indent]

{content}
Give new players a run out[/indent]

{content}
Risk alienating fans by going into boring defensive play ?[/indent]

If faced with this choice when I was in management I would see it as a good chance to have a bit of a re-shuffle.

This is what Alf Ramsey did (disastrously) in World Cup 70. It is what any manager who is prepared to weigh up all the options would do. Or should I say, the managers who care a jot about keeping the game as an entertaining spectacle.

Nige's dad always said that you're only as good as your last result. He also said that whatever else a a manager does he must remember the fans and the best way to do this is to keep them entertained.

He did not do this by having half-time diversions but by playing open flowing football at DCFC.

When asked whether he would rather have a cup win or a league win he always maintained that the cup was only ever a diversion. "All you have to do is string together a few wins and you've got the cup. The league is a hard slog week after week."

We had an incredibly fascinating match last night. The opposition played with an admirable degree of determination and showed what can be done by raising your game at the right moment (OK 95 of the 130 minutes.)

It was a great game with a slightly disappointing outcome but so what?

I'll take that over a boring 1-0 COC win personally.

Nigel will learn from this. He is the right manager. He has proved that he knows good players when he sees them. Other teams are able to dangle more tempting bait to hook the right fish from a thinly populated pool.

I don't angle like Froggy and others do (I think it's cruel and no one asks the fish if they enjoy the game) but I know that if you try to catch the right type of player you need to be in a position to offer the right inducements. Nigel hasn't got a wide variety of bait (ie cash) and does the best he can with what he has, often with little backing.

Let's get behing Cloughie. Yes he can show tactical naivety at times but he is our sometimes tactically naive manager who is doing a job he loves for a team he loves and for fans whhom he forgets not in the process.

Very few managers have that personal interest in their calling. Nige does.

Roberts and Bryson haven't had much pre-season. Hughes took a knock. They had to come off. Unfortunately, we don't have that kind of depth in the squad to replace them seamlessly. Would have been different with Hendrick, Ward, O'Connor available. Always gonna have injuries though

I still cant believe that all you happy clappers are buying in to this rubbish.

3 years of this dross, and it will only continue.

He just isnt good enough. Never has been. Never will be.

If by happy clappers you mean folk who are happy and go like the clappers I will accept the description with thanks for the compliment.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if I disagree with every word you say.

but, please, do not criticise a person simply because their opinion differs from yours.

Oh and never say something that you wouldn't be happy to say to their face.

For example if you were sitting across the table from Nigel himself.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

I can't believe that you only come on here when we lose. How about you come on when we win and direct a bit of praise towards the team? Maybe then people might think you are a Derby fan and not just a Clough hater. Or is it non league nigel, so you know who I am on about?

Buying into what? Not judging our team after 1 League cup game of the season? Unbelievable eh. It's as if some people have a bit of common sense round here!

Archived