Is Mr Nigel Clough tactically good enough at this level and should he go?

Davey B

Cloughie's decisions today we so so terrible and cost us the three points. At 2-1 with around 20 minutes to go it was still pretty even with Sheffield starting to get on top due to us not holding possession as well as we had done in the first half and just being plain sloppy, all that was need was a couple of fresh legs and to keep the ball and push for a 3rd. But no, once again we decide to commit suicide by bringing on defenders and sitting further and further back thus allowing Sheffield space and time to pressurize our defence. Everytime we did win the ball back it was an aimless hoof forward in the direction of Ward who was alone and about 2ft smaller than their centre halfs and giving them the ball back with the rest of the team in our own half already waiting. When will Nigel learn that when your winning at home, it doesn't pay to be negative and to sit back keeping your fingers crossed we can hold in. It's weak.

I wish he would stop pointing the blame at particular players in public to, especially the kids. If he thinks its Hendrick's fault for the second goal, speak to him in the changing rooms or in training. If he should point the finger at anyone for why we didn't win this game it should be at himself.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloughie's decisions today we so so terrible and cost us the three points. At 2-1 with around 20 minutes to go it was still pretty even with Sheffield starting to get on top due to us not holding possession as well as we had done in the first half and just being plain sloppy, all that was need was a couple of fresh legs and to keep the ball and push for a 3rd. But no, once again we decide to commit suicide by bringing on defenders and sitting further and further back thus allowing Sheffield space and time to pressurize our defence. Everytime we did win the ball back it was an aimless hoof forward in the direction of Ward who was alone and about 2ft smaller than their centre halfs and giving them the ball back with the rest of the team in our own half already waiting. When will Nigel learn that when your winning at home, it doesn't pay to be negative and to sit back keeping your fingers crossed we can hold in. It's weak.

I wish he would stop pointing the blame at particular players in public to, especially the kids. If he thinks its Hendrick's fault for the second goal, speak to him in the changing rooms or in training. If he should point the finger at anyone for why we didn't win this game it should be at himself.

i agree - and it's also worth pointing out that we did play some brilliant football - especially in the first half

and that's NC's 'fault' aswell.

i agree - and it's also worth pointing out that we did play some brilliant football - especially in the first half

and that's NC's 'fault' aswell.

That is true, I like the how he is giving the young players a chance to shine which they have done on most occasions and how he is trying to make us play football on the deck and keep the ball. Yet Nigel seems to like to turn the brilliant attack minded football into long punting hold your balls tripe defending in the last 15 minutes of games which just ruins and turns the good performances into what it is, for only half a game.

NC got the substitutions completely wrong today in my opinion.

If wanting to leave one up front alone it should have been Tyson or Theo, not Ward.

I thought the right hand side of Brayford and Coutts was struggling today too and needed changing.

Blame it on Jeff though, its a much easier option.

I agree with Cisse about it being more about how we play not who we play. You could put Vidic and Kompany on, but if you've said to the opposition "there's 1 goal in it, come break us down and we'll batter it away" your out the match. It becomes attack v defence.

Wednesday had the scent of blood. Derby were done attacking. What is there to fear at 2-1 down against a team who defend too deep and give you the ball back frequently?

The mentality is contagious too. Bring on 5 strikers. It won't matter. You've already lost any threat.

We don't want to have a siege mentality. It shows fear and surrenders control.

I'd personally would of liked to see earlier substitutions with the intention of sustaining pressure before we lose control.

Today, that would of meant early in the second half.

But really, when Ssausagehorpe get it back to 5-5 on your home turf and drag you into ET a few days before a lively opener against a 'friendly rival' bringing 6,000 strong support...... Well, you can't blame tiredness on anyone but yourselves.

I agree with Cisse about it being more about how we play not who we play. You could put Vidic and Kompany on, but if you've said to the opposition "there's 1 goal in it, come break us down and we'll batter it away" your out the match. It becomes attack v defence.

Wednesday had the scent of blood. Derby were done attacking. What is there to fear at 2-1 down against a team who defend too deep and give you the ball back frequently?

The mentality is contagious too. Bring on 5 strikers. It won't matter. You've already lost any threat.

We don't want to have a siege mentality. It shows fear and surrenders control.

I'd personally would of liked to see earlier substitutions with the intention of sustaining pressure before we lose control.

Today, that would of meant early in the second half.

But really, when Ssausagehorpe get it back to 5-5 on your home turf and drag you into ET a few days before a lively opener against a 'friendly rival' bringing 6,000 strong support...... Well, you can't blame tiredness on anyone but yourselves.

i agree - our tactical changes sent out the wrong message to our players too. we desperately needed to retain possession up front.

(it will be a different kettle of fish when we sign sammon.)

sorry

Nobody has mentioned yet that it seems like the half time tactics were too simply defend. What happened to going out and trying to get a third?

I don't like Cloughs tactics when it comes to second half play. Sit back, defensive subs and don't go for the killer ball. Courts having a free kick and trying to play Robinson into the corner, Hendrick booting it out for a goal kick from our kick off at 2-2. We would fair much better if we keep trying to play the football we did first half.

I also think that Davies should be used whilst he is still here. He is a derby player and would be better than what we had out there.

I know its only two games into the season but its the same tactical mistakes over and over again, every season. Alpha Signia got it spot on - if you bring on defenders at home at 2-1 with so much of the game to play you are inviting pressure and showing fear. I think that potentially we have a really decent young squad that just needs a bit of quality up front, but Clough's tactics are so unintelligent I often wonder if he is watching the same game as the rest of us. He hasn't learned from his previous tactical errors and it drives me mad because its this kind of thing that will sap the players confidence and belief if he's not careful.

Sometimes..... Attack is the best form of defense??

Yes!!!

Or atleast control/possession/boring slow tempo.

Whatever is easiest to adapt to. Just show opponents we are in control. Or atleast have an element of control.

I honestly think Clough's hands were tied (tactically) today by us giving a lot in midweek. But again, it carries the same warning.

For me these sub times are far to late and the tactics were too defensive from the start of the second half.

Hughes (Gjokaj - 87' )

Tyson (O'Connor - 74' )

Ward (Robinson - 82' )

Too defensive and too late, i was hoping for more like:

Hughes (Jacobs-70' ) - Great on the ball and some brilliant interceptions but too weak when we are defending that kind of pressure.

Tyson (Robinson - 60' ) - Front 2 looked tired and Theo should have been on to do the running not just Ward.

Hendrick (O'Connor - 74' ) - Didn't seem himself and feel the swap would have been more appropriate.

Ending up 4-1-3-1-1 with O'Connor in front of defence and Ward in front of the midfield lowering his required work rate and using him as a link up to Robinson.

IMO the abundance of defensive players meant all we could do was defend and that's where we fell down, nobody got forward when we had the ball till Wednesday had their second and its a shame it takes us loosing the lead to hold the ball up the field. Of course my system could have turned out worse and we will never know but trying to defend a one goal lead for an entire half in my books means you don't deserve the win.

What is the point of being on a forum if tou aren't interested in what people have to say who don't agree with you?

Also there is a block option so you don't have to read any of that persons posts (well there was not 100% if still is)

Didn't know you could block users so thanks for bringing this to my attention very useful tool.

No time for peope who don't go to the games but know it all.

Archived