Is Mr Nigel Clough tactically good enough at this level and should he go?

Davey B

Not sure really. I honestly don't think there was anything wrong with what Clough tried in theory. Personally I'm one for attacking play so I'd have brought on Jacobs for Hughes during the second half. The issue is that without a striker to hold up the ball, it was always going to be hard to do that once things stopped going our way, and honestly, I'd think that doing that would have gone badly. If not for the goal they scored against the run of play, we could have done a bit better, but hey...

Ward apparently looked quite tired, what was the point of keeping him on? Bryson and Coutts aren't holding players either, what on Earth would putting them there help?

Also, I checked last year. What I found:

- Nigel made a total of 11 defensive substitutions, that is, bringing on a defender in place of a midfielder or striker, whilst in a winning or drawing position last season

- 9 of these were when the club was in a winning position and 2 when drawing

- Of the 9 in winning positions, Derby won 9

- Of the 2 whilst drawing, Derby drew 2

- Roberts was brought on twice, O'Brien 3 times and Buxton 6 times

Conclusion, these moves and the tactics used actually made the side a more solid unit and successfully protected winning positions and drawing positions over the course of last season. Despite claims by Hoggy that this move doomed the side, interestingly it did not do so once last season, much to my own surprise. Any corrections on the above information will be appreciated so long as references to where errors were are made.

Have a nice day.

albert - did you see the match.

i felt that NC should not have made the substitutions he did. we were 'holding on' for too long

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drew, feels like a loss after the great first half.

Positives:- Huges! 17 years old and a great player. Yes he got knocked off the ball a few times but he kept going back for more. Composure and vision was lovely to see in one so young.

First half formation and work rate spot on.

Brayford needed help all of the second half, although to be fair to Coutts he did half a job.

Tiring legs with little strength in depth doesn't help.

Worst of all negative tactics with one up front, yes we needed to tighten up, but ward chasing long balls was never going to work.

4 midfielders can be tighter without the huge gap that was appearing.

Time wasting from the first minute set the wrong message which is hard to come back from.

What happened today then clever person?

We conceded a late equaliser. Strangely enough this season is not last season and so does not count on last season's statistics.

albert - did you see the match.

i felt that NC should not have made the substitutions he did. we were 'holding on' for too long

No, no I did not. We probably were, but it was something that has worked for us in the past and at the end of the day, things go wrong sometimes. Hopefully we improve.

We conceded a late equaliser. Strangely enough this season is not last season and so does not count on last season's statistics.

No, no I did not. We probably were, but it was something that has worked for us in the past and at the end of the day, things go wrong sometimes. Hopefully we improve.

Well there's a surprise the "know all" didn't bother to attend the game only 27,000 there today you know

The season before last we lost the lead at the end of the games too many times. Last season the situation were much better and I thought that Clough has solved the problem. Now it starts to look bad again. Twice in one week we gave the match away. At the level Clough is working he needs to solve this problem immediately.

The problem isn't the substitutions he does, well not entirely anyway. The problem is more on the mental side. He needs to get all the players in the mental state where they can hang on the lead until the final whistle.

Well there's a surprise the "know all" didn't bother to attend the game only 27,000 there today you know

Well, personally I find it hard to attend the game from a little over 10,000 miles away. Career opportunities and all that.

The point is it doesn't work. Every time Clough does it we concede late goals other clubs or should I say manages don't do it

Well, those first 6 words are a bit wrong if your going by his time at the club and not this sole game of 12/13. The amount of times I've seen Bucko come on and do that, especially last season, Aswell as doing it well is greater than the number where it hasn't paid off!

Well, personally I find it hard to attend the game from a little over 10,000 miles away. Career opportunities and all that.

Well that's proberly why you have time to dig up pointless statistics were as I witness the football live and say what I see.

What you say means feck all to me as I only talk football with people who watch football or play the game (which I have)

No offence by the way I have no problem with you just seems like your having a few digs like and can't take other peoples opinions

Well that's proberly why you have time to dig up pointless statistics were as I witness the football live and say what I see.

What you say means feck all to me as I only talk football with people who watch football or play the game (which I have)

No offence by the way I have no problem with you just seems like your having a few digs like and can't take other peoples opinions

Well, I do watch the full 90 every chance I get (which is generally couple days after the game), but no... I guess the feel you get greatly outweights the statistics and factual evidence everyday doesn't it. The world needs more people like you, simply listening to their gut on things rather than actually basing their arguments on solid evidence. I mean where would the world be now wi... oh wait.

Well, I do watch the full 90 every chance I get (which is generally couple days after the game), but no... I guess the feel you get greatly outweights the statistics and factual evidence everyday doesn't it. The world needs more people like you, simply listening to their gut on things rather than actually basing their arguments on solid evidence. I mean where would the world be now wi... oh wait.

This topic is Football........football yeah Christ calm down

This topic is Football........football yeah Christ calm down

I am calm. Are you?

What I do wonder though is why you'd ignore any evidence in favour of a gut feeling. A surprising amount of chance can make up a game and sometimes things just don't go right. At the end of the day, Nigel last season did manage to stem the flow of late goals surprisingly well, but sadly we've started poorly in this respect, and personally I'd think that the result today is connected to that cup game. Not only the 90 minutes, but the confidence in the side to hold on. Hopefully Nigel can get the side working in this respect again.

In case you're wondering by the way, we conceded 6 goals in the last 10 minutes of games last season, of which 3 resulted in losses, one in a draw and two did not change the result. None of these were the result of a defensive substitution. Interestingly, 6 goals is pretty much spot on what you'd expect from a uniform distribution of goals over the 90 minutes.

I am calm. Are you?

What I do wonder though is why you'd ignore any evidence in favour of a gut feeling. A surprising amount of chance can make up a game and sometimes things just don't go right. At the end of the day, Nigel last season did manage to stem the flow of late goals surprisingly well, but sadly we've started poorly in this respect, and personally I'd think that the result today is connected to that cup game. Not only the 90 minutes, but the confidence in the side to hold on. Hopefully Nigel can get the side working in this respect again.

In case you're wondering by the way, we conceded 6 goals in the last 10 minutes of games last season, of which 3 resulted in losses, one in a draw and two did not change the result. None of these were the result of a defensive substitution. Interestingly, 6 goals is pretty much spot on what you'd expect from a uniform distribution of goals over the 90 minutes.

Didn't read any of that sorry but you are very boring.

Please don't reply too any of my posts in future and I will appreciate it very much

Many thanks

Didn't read any of that sorry but you are very boring.

Please don't reply too any of my posts in future and I will appreciate it very much

Many thanks

What is the point of being on a forum if tou aren't interested in what people have to say who don't agree with you?

Also there is a block option so you don't have to read any of that persons posts (well there was not 100% if still is)

Archived