Do we actually need a striker?

trekkie_ram

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, every player you mention are from a team that finished 12th in the second tier, if we are going to progress then we need a decent forward, we have not got one that has played consistently well for derby.

Theo may be a 20 or 2 goal a season, but his touch is as bad as ive seen at derby and to me is better as an impact man yet he is our no 1 choice at the mo, ball is not quite there, ward is not a c/f, Bennett hasn't played 5 games yet and Tyson is erm....Tyson.

We need good options when our first choice are not working, at the moment we are struggling with both.

Let's also consider the fact that a striker cannot be judged on how many goals they score if the are not been played as a striker. Tyson spent most of last season on the wing because of his pace. When he was played as a out n out striker (Leeds) he did very well. Let's not be too negative about him.

You're turning football into a game of numbers, and that's not what it is.

You said in your post prior to this that football is simply about scoring more than the opp (numbers?), then you put that. Its a saturday, I've had a few Sols and you've mushed my brain. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Let's also consider the fact that a striker cannot be judged on how many goals they score if the are not been played as a striker. Tyson spent most of last season on the wing because of his pace. When he was played as a out n out striker (Leeds) he did very well. Let's not be too negative about him.

I agree with the post. But, 0 goals and 1 assist was it? Not great form for a winger. Just don't rate him.

Callum Ball looks like he has lost a stone or two, last year he looked very sluggish and like he was carrying abit too much lard. If he gets a few chances in pre-season I can see him impressing, his mobility has been his main downfall. If he sorts that out then I believe we have a good young striker on our hands.

For what its worth I would agree with this assessment. I thought perhaps Callum had been bulked up to play the "strong man" up front - which is no earthly good if you can't move a bit quicker than a gastropod on valium. A leaner, niftier Callum could well be a pleasant suprise in this campaign.

Looks like the U18s are bringing in a couple more strikers for this coming season. This could suggest the management really do see Bennett being nearer the first team squad maybe taking turns with Thomas. There are not many strikers among the 2nd year

scholars that I can think of. Ball is already over age.

Yes we need a striker but it also does look like Bennet or Thomas are expected to be with the full squad often enough to possibly upset the balence of the U18s. The two new Academy strikers join next Friday I think. One is from Ireland, named Caraghy I think.

i can't understand why we sold maguire, i feel he didn't really have a chance at derby but yes, i think we need another good striker at the side of robinson. Maybe someone who can head a ball with us having signed a supposedly good winger (Jacobs). Connor Samon?

We failed to score in 40% of our games last season and there is a 3 page debate about whether we need a new striker (goalscorer)?

This post says it all.

Being able to score goals when it matters is the difference between mid table and challenging the top 2 and going for promotion.

YES we need a striker.

Especially given we dont really get goals from anywhere else in the team the way we play.

Why'd he reject Leeds. I don't think he'd leave Media Utd for Derby though.

Got some top Championship players Leeds. Reckon they'll be strong this year. Horrible club

Maybe Neil Warnock isn't his cup of tea! Wouldn't surprise me.

We failed to score in 40% of our games last season and there is a 3 page debate about whether we need a new striker (goalscorer)?

I thought strikers weren't judged purely on goals but what else they brought to the team like holding up and bringing others into play.

I thought strikers weren't judged purely on goals but what else they brought to the team like holding up and bringing others into play.

A point I made yesterday. I said that Tyson cannot be judged on goals when he is played as a winger.

There not but a good striker would help a team win.. To help a team win the team needs to scoer goals.. Now if a striker doesn't score many (Drogba) then he needs to assist and by doing that he needs to defend from the front, bring his midfielders into play, create space for other forward players, contribute to basic one touch passing, run the channels etc..

Like some people have mentioned.. Kuqi wasn't a big goalscorer for us but at least he did the basics well and it just happened that during his time here was the same time that our midfielders had their best goal haul.. Commons, Bueno, Green and Cywka all benefited from having a basic striker who could hold it up, create space and help the midfielders..

S.Davies, Theo, Ball and Tyson all lack the basic needs of being a good striker..

There not but a good striker would help a team win.. To help a team win the team needs to scoer goals.. Now if a striker doesn't score many (Drogba) then he needs to assist and by doing that he needs to defend from the front, bring his midfielders into play, create space for other forward players, contribute to basic one touch passing, run the channels etc..

Like some people have mentioned.. Kuqi wasn't a big goalscorer for us but at least he did the basics well and it just happened that during his time here was the same time that our midfielders had their best goal haul.. Commons, Bueno, Green and Cywka all benefited from having a basic striker who could hold it up, create space and help the midfielders..

S.Davies, Theo, Ball and Tyson all lack the basic needs of being a good striker..

bris - based on our current squad and the idea that steve davis will be gone - which one would you get? - a poacher - fox in the box type - or a target man - hold it up bring others into play, guy?

i think the latter - for the reasons you've outlined above - but im sure others will disagree

one of both type would be nice - chose one.

Archived