Conor Sammon

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[size=3]DERBY County are closing in on Wigan Athletic striker Conor Sammon. [/size]

[size=3]The 25-year-old was at Pride Park Stadium on Saturday to watch the Rams draw 2-2 with Sheffield Wednesday in their opening fixture of the new Championship campaign.[/size]

[size=3]When told the player had been spotted in the crowd, manager Nigel Clough said: "I think he was down visiting Craig Bryson."[/size][size=3]

Sammon and Bryson were team-mates at Scottish Premier League club Kilmarnock.[/size][size=3]

Sammon has been a target of Derby's for some time.[/size][size=3]

They lost out to Wigan in the race for his signature 18 months ago and now he could cost around £1.2m.[/size][size=3]

"We are not going to lie, he is somebody we are interested in," said Clough.[/size][size=3]

"It was ideal for him to be down to see Craig and sample the atmosphere at Pride Park.[/size][size=3]

"We are talking to Wigan and doing everything we can. We are working closely with Mal Brannigan (Derby's company secretary and vice president, finance) and he is doing everything he can to make the deal happen.[/size][size=3]

"We try and leave talking about transfers until we get the signature, that is our preferred way of doing it."[/size][size=3]

Clough is keen to freshen up Derby's striking department.[/size][size=3]

"We think we have improved in the majority of the areas of the team in the close season," he said.[/size][size=3]

"But up front is the one area where we are starting with the same strikers we had last season, with the exception of young Mason Bennett, who is now a first-team player."[/size][size=3]

Sammon joined Wigan in January 2011 for an undisclosed fee believed to be worth in the region of £600,000.[/size][size=3]

He signed a three-and-a-half year deal but has struggled to win a regular place in Wigan's team. He has managed only one goal in 32 League appearances for the Latics after a healthy scoring record at Kilmarnock.[/size][size=3]

Kilmarnock's sell-on clause will see them receive £100,000 should Sammon join Derby.[/size][size=3]

Rams chairman Andy Appleby has confirmed that Derby are "working very hard right now on several targets".[/size][size=3]

They are close to signing 20-year-old Nottingham Forest full-back Kieron Freeman.[/size][size=3]

"Everything is agreed," said Clough. "There are one or two things to sort out with the medical but he is another young player who we can see playing in the Under-21 League this season and being on the fringe of the first team."[/size][size=3]

Rams coach Gary Crosby travelled to Scotland on Saturday to watch 19-year-old striker Marc McNulty play for Livingston in their 2-0 home defeat by Airdrie.[/size][size=3]

McNulty impressed during his spell on trial with the Rams last week and scored in a friendly against Matlock Town.[/size][size=3]

"We will watch him in his own environment for a couple of games," said Clough.[/size]

[size=3]"He did well last week. He was bright, intelligent, got a goal and hit the target even when he had half a chance.[/size]

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Rams-closing-net-bid-land-striker-Sammon/story-16734410-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Rams-closing-net-bid-land-striker-Sammon/story-16734410-detail/story.html

I honestly don't think we are desparate for an out and out goal-scorer. I think if we had had Sammon (or a similar type of player) in the second half of the game on saturday, we would have won comfortably. Someone that can hold the ball up consistently will make a massive difference to the way we play - we'll be stronger at the back as there will be much less pressure on the defence, we will score far more goals from midfield as the midfielders will actually have time to get up and support the attack and if Sammon can get 10-15 goals on top of that we will be laughing.

I have to agree. If it is the way we are going to play particularly in the second half, the ability to hold the ball up for even a fraction of time is a must. Again, if he chips in with 12-15 goals we should be better placed come April.

I have to agree. If it is the way we are going to play particularly in the second half, the ability to hold the ball up for even a fraction of time is a must. Again, if he chips in with 12-15 goals we should be better placed come April.

If he can head a ball he will get into double figures no problem! I would be surprised to see Buxton not hit the magic 10 this season.

Steve Howard scored 1 (I think) goal in the prem, but scored 19 goals? In the championship the season we got promoted, if sammon could emulate that, we'll be laughing. Whether he can do the business in the premiership is a completely different story to whether he can score in the championship

I agree, the Prem is a different kettle of fish (oh the hilarity) and yes, Howard was good at this level. Trouble is, they are different players and Sammon hasn't done anything to show that he can compete here. 1.2 is twice what Wigan paid also

Think he's more the answer to our missing hold it up striker.

Well, if thats what he is for then fair enough- but 1.2 million is a lot to spend on a striker who doesn't score goals when we wil still need one that does. Looking at his scoring record for Killie I would suggest that we were signing him for goals though

All of cloughs big signings have been well worth it. I don't think he's gong to slip up now.

My sentiments exactly, fairly sure he will turn out to be a good player for us. I don't think it will take long for him to settle in either, I am happy about this one - just what we need upfront.

There are certainly more clinical players out there, like DJ Campbell...etc but its obvious we need that man who can play with his back to goal, rather than going out to get an out and out goalscorer.

Conor Sammon is the ideal player for us.

But we really need to get someone just to sit in front of the back 4, the amount of space Wednesday had was ridicules, it was like we was playing with no midfield.

(4-1-3-2) Would be my formation. With Sammon and Theo/Tyson up front.

But we really need to get someone just to sit in front of the back 4, the amount of space Wednesday had was ridicules, it was like we was playing with no midfield.

I don't want to distrupt that midfield but would like to see someone come in who can play defensive midfielder, bring them off the bench when we're infront and help hold the lead.

That would be ideal.

I don't want to distrupt that midfield but would like to see someone come in who can play defensive midfielder, bring them off the bench when we're infront and help hold the lead.

That would be ideal.

Yeah agreed mate. 1/2 goals ahead, 5 minutes to go, bring on someone to sit in front of the back 4. Sorted.

I agree, this has been a problem for a while. Gjokaj can play DM but he's still a bit young.

But beggars can't be choosers and we need that striker more.

I agree, this has been a problem for a while. Gjokaj can play DM but he's still a bit young.

But beggars can't be choosers and we need that striker more.

True, but I don't want a player who's a a proper CB, then play him DM. We need a proper DM.

But for now, I'll be happy with Fish Boy. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived