Ross Atkins

North_Stand_Ram

What is with people having a pop at the reserves, its as though we've started to realise that most of the squad is pretty decent and those who aren't are on their way out anyhow. Suddenly, without any previous manager type 'whatever sticks' signings, we need something to complain about, because really, who could just be happy with the situation for a minute. So we are left in this position where the reserves, who don't have the luxury of having game time to prove us wrong, are the only ones we can have a crack at, so we spend months at a time whinging about why Buxton, Doyle or Deeney are still at the club... oops, did I say Buxton, what's that, he's fit and ready to step up and like last time he played he was actually quite good? Nah! Its not like Nigel can actually judge good players and bring in good backup players who can do a job when required, maybe even step up and take a hold on a first team spot!

I mean really, Deeney has been in a tough position at the club and injured for long spells. He's had only a couple of appearances and the full appearance he got for us was pretty good. Just judging him on the day that he got sent off his hardly fairly, just like judging Fielding on the Forest performance would hardly be fair, it happens sometimes. He has had at least one good game for us though.

Doyle is another interesting one as he's only slightly older than Hendrick, yet people act as though he's some overpaid useless waste of space at the club. I've heard countless time people questioning "why keep him, we could have kept Cywka instead", with seemingly no understanding of their comparative roles at the club, ages and circumstances...

...oh well, I guess if people feel the need to complain about this sort of thing, we at least know the club is in good shape.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Burton Albion have re-signed Derby County goalkeeper Ross Atkins on loan and brought in Kidderminster keeper Dean Lyness on a free transfer.

Atkins, 22, played 48 games while on loan with Albion last season and has re-joined the Staffordshire side.

Ex-Hearts and Birmingham City keeper Lyness, 20, has signed a two-year deal.

Both players have been with Burton during pre-season and appeared in the friendly matches against Aston Villa, Gresley FC and Ilkeston FC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19004217

• 5 months later...
Football - Ross back with Rams

Derby goalkeeper Ross Atkins has returned to Pride Park following his loan spell at Burton.

PA Sport – 51 minutes ago

Atkins joined the Rams' npower League Two neighbours in the summer and began the season as Albion's number one, starting the club's first seven matches in all competitions.

However, an injury in the last of those appearances against Coventry in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on September 4 saw the 23-year-old slip down the pecking order at the Pirelli Stadium as Stuart Tomlinson and then Dean Lyness took over between the posts.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-ross-back-rams-112130974.html

• 5 months later...

Isn't it about time we cut our losses on Atkins?  He's 23 and seemingly conference level.

Why give him a year's extension to his contract (I think) and then farm him off on loan for the year?

Presumably because they see significant improvement and that he isn't costing an arm and a leg?

Presumably because they see significant improvement and that he isn't costing an arm and a leg?

I hope you are right.  However, with Morch and Etheridge potentially in the fringes of the squad and Grant, Deeney & Ledgzdins all contracted to the club, it doesn't strike me that he would necessarily be one to pursue.  I defer, that they know a hell of a lot more than me though.

Gary Rowett didn't seem to rate him too highly though and there'd have been uproar if we'd signed a 23 year old goalkeeper from Burton who wasn't good enough for their side...  (we already have Deeney for that role!)

I hope you are right. However, with Morch and Etheridge potentially in the fringes of the squad and Grant, Deeney & Ledgzdins all contracted to the club, it doesn't strike me that he would necessarily be one to pursue. I defer, that they know a hell of a lot more than me though.

Gary Rowett didn't seem to rate him too highly though and there'd have been uproar if we'd signed a 23 year old goalkeeper from Burton who wasn't good enough for their side... (we already have Deeney for that role!)

Ledgzgins told he can leave - wont be here after this season- so I think Atkins will be reserve next season when Deeney will leave with Morch and Etheridge going out on loan for first team experience.

Legzdins - Leaving

Deeney - Back up will probably leave after this season

Atkins - Out on loan to see what he's like, if he's decent possible back up for next season?

Morch / Etheridge - Maybe loaned out / Under 21 team

Archived