Safe Standing + Giant Flag

therams69

Hi all,

Just to let you know I have been invited to help out with a safe standing promotion video that will be used for UK politicians over in Hannover, Germany.

As I will be going in June I am also taking the Flag with me as filming will be at the AWD Arena so will get a few photos with it over some seats. This will be the flags second european trip!!

nick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks wired, but am sure it works, I know me and you (Nick) have had difference of option of the south stand move, but I have to admit I would give up my seat in south east corner for a standing space, So how would it work? as there is a fold away seat behind where you stand, would it be "first come first served" on matchdays to where you stand or would you have a "seat number" so you would stand in the same place every match like you do with a normal seat season ticket?

All opinions though matey and I guess that is what these forums are for.

First off the South Stand move, in my opinion, would need to happen for the safe standing model to be fully beneficial. You wouldnt want it stuck away in a corner.

The long term plan is for safe standing, Derby are keen I think, ;-) , so I hope that you will vote the move in with consideration for this in the future.

Basically there is a fold away seat, reason because in European games these would be down as have to be all seated, not that the German fans sit at European games! LOL!

It is basically how it is now with seating. You have a foldaway seat that is permanantly up and you stand there. You would be allocated the same area for the season in the way your season ticket works currently.

When Buxton scored v Forest, or any last minute dramatic goals I, as sure many others have, got cut knees etc... With the safe standing model this wouldnt happen.

It is perfectly safe!!!!

It is not terracing. It is safe standing, this hasnt been used in England yet so cannot be classed as unsafe. Additionally it has been agreed by the Scottish FA to be trialled in Scotland. Great move for Scotland!!!

Hope this answers everything buddy!

Nick

The principle behind it is excellent, and the fact that you can lock the seat down to turn the ground in to an all seater is excellent.

Its a good way to increase capacity for little cost. Just one question, can the seat be sat on if its in the upright, or is it locked into either one or other?

Hi all,

Just to let you know I have been invited to help out with a safe standing promotion video that will be used for UK politicians over in Hannover, Germany.

As I will be going in June I am also taking the Flag with me as filming will be at the AWD Arena so will get a few photos with it over some seats. This will be the flags second european trip!!

nick

I wish you the very best of luck Nick - Top Man!

The number of games where opposing fans have stood for the whole 90 mins in the stands behind both goals is bonkers.

The principle behind it is excellent, and the fact that you can lock the seat down to turn the ground in to an all seater is excellent.

Its a good way to increase capacity for little cost. Just one question, can the seat be sat on if its in the upright, or is it locked into either one or other?

I don't think it would increase capacity

Plan

1. Get the South Stand recognised as the "end". The place where people who enjoy being vocal at footbal prefer to go.

2. Campaign for unreserved seating so people can move around a bit, occasional fans can sit with mates etc.

3. Safe standing.

Say a 3 year target (to coincide with automatic promotion).

Life is so simple sometimes... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

What happens is you get allocated your "seat" and that's where you stand. The seat is just for show really (and to comply with UEFA specific legislation, and I suppose to fold down at half time if your legs are tired). Technically it could increase capacity, as you can get 1.5 (might be 1.4, can't remember exactly) people stood in the same place as you can get 1 person sat (this is 100% safe, according to the "Green Guide" - basically a bible for crowd management at all events in the U.K, music, football, rugby etc).

HOWEVER, I doubt, given the bedwetting panic created by people who think standing at a football game is unsafe (even the police, F.A, FLA etc don't believe that anymore), that teams would use this as an opportunity to increase capacity, at least not significantly. I forsee it being 1 seat/space:1 person, purely for ease, safety, stewarding, and because of the regulations regarding exits and fire procedure (new grounds/stands are obviously built to conform to guidelines where the number of people is x amount, and if more people were let into the stand then it would be a danger in the event of an evacuation of a stand (this is also where the myth that Safe Standing areas aren't suitable for modern grounds originates), but it would be down to individual clubs.

I don't personally see whats wrong with terracing (it's good enough for rugby league, and tier 3 and below in English football), but then again i'm 19 and would happily hang onto a perimeter fence to watch the game, but I think I might be in the minority.

That's really badly written but hopefully it explains it.

What happens is you get allocated your "seat" and that's where you stand. The seat is just for show really (and to comply with UEFA specific legislation, and I suppose to fold down at half time if your legs are tired). Technically it could increase capacity, as you can get 1.5 (might be 1.4, can't remember exactly) people stood in the same place as you can get 1 person sat (this is 100% safe, according to the "Green Guide" - basically a bible for crowd management at all events in the U.K, music, football, rugby etc).

HOWEVER, I doubt, given the bedwetting panic created by people who think standing at a football game is unsafe (even the police, F.A, FLA etc don't believe that anymore), that teams would use this as an opportunity to increase capacity, at least not significantly. I forsee it being 1 seat/space:1 person, purely for ease, safety, stewarding, and because of the regulations regarding exits and fire procedure (new grounds/stands are obviously built to conform to guidelines where the number of people is x amount, and if more people were let into the stand then it would be a danger in the event of an evacuation of a stand (this is also where the myth that Safe Standing areas aren't suitable for modern grounds originates), but it would be down to individual clubs.

I don't personally see whats wrong with terracing (it's good enough for rugby league, and tier 3 and below in English football), but then again i'm 19 and would happily hang onto a perimeter fence to watch the game, but I think I might be in the minority.

That's really badly written but hopefully it explains it.

I don't think it will be used as a tool for increasing capacity- there are very few grounds that sell out week in week out anyway. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical about bringing standing back- not because I think it is unsafe personally but because the perceived dangers would prevent the government/ FA etc. from attempting to bring it back.

What these new designs have accomplished is to make standing on "rails" safer than standing in seating seated areas (which 1000's have been doing up and down the country for years). I really can't see an argument against the return of standing beyond financial ones and the requirement to move people's season tickets who don't wish to stand.

Oh, and Joe- being 19 and a Stone Roses fan is weird, they were ***** the first time round 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Does anyone know the projected ticket costs? I've always been under the impression this would create a cheaper ticket, since the attendance would be increased.

Can't remember who it was exactly, might have been Borussia Dortmund, who converted to safe standing in one end which raised the capacity by about 12000.

http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/GER/Westfalenstadion

TBH, most of the stadium looks like safe standing. The Stadium now hosts up to 80,720 fans (standing and seated) for league matches, and 65,718 seated spectators for international games

I doubt the tickets will be any cheaper. If capacity increased I don't think many more people would come, even if the prices were reduced. I suspect the management would go for the safe option of keeping the prices the same and expect the same people to come, rather than gambling on lower ticket costs and hope for higher gates.

Besides, the groupon offers haven't exactly brought in the right kind of additional spectators. Lower prices doesn't equate to a better atmosphere.

Archived