I think we're getting a revamped Official Site

Perky1106

According to this information from Football League Interactive, the company that makes all the official websites into the horrible uniform format we currently have.

[url=https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2xHF_edWqgdMkhIZWJBcXB4aDQ/edit]https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2xHF_edWqgdMkhIZWJBcXB4aDQ/edit

But I don't understand why we can't just have an independent website? It would be far more professional. At the moment it isn't much better than a Facebook or Wordpress page.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I don't understand why we can't just have an independent website?

I know someone who was involved in the previous "independent" site and as you would expect – it all comes down to cash.

PremiumTV as they were called at the time offered a template site to all clubs in the Football League with an offer that was too good to turn down. It was just too expensive for clubs to operate their own sites, reinventing the wheel in terms of development, hosting, streaming, subscriptions, advertising. They just took the PTV site and added their own content via a front-end. Hey presto a fully functioning all-singing website for next to nothing (in comparison)

That said – the PTV template is looking a bit behind the times these days so I would expect a revamp soon – possibly over the summer to make it integrate better with web 2.0 stuff

I know someone who was involved in the previous "independent" site and as you would expect – it all comes down to cash.

PremiumTV as they were called at the time offered a template site to all clubs in the Football League with an offer that was too good to turn down. It was just too expensive for clubs to operate their own sites, reinventing the wheel in terms of development, hosting, streaming, subscriptions, advertising. They just took the PTV site and added their own content via a front-end. Hey presto a fully functioning all-singing website for next to nothing (in comparison)

That said – the PTV template is looking a bit behind the times these days so I would expect a revamp soon – possibly over the summer to make it integrate better with web 2.0 stuff

While I can understand the decision to use a template website from a business POV, that doesn't hide the fact that the template itself is badly designed.

I'm surprised no other company has offered an alternative web solution to football clubs - it would be a great business opportunity and it wouldn't take much to surpass the current templates in wide circulation.

You need to get yourself an ad-blocker sir.

i used to have ad-block plus but it's disappeared when i updated chrome or something.. the thing that annoys me is the adverts that come up that are blatantly based on what you've tried to buy online. like they're following you around. and gambling adverts (need to be banned in my opinion!)

While I can understand the decision to use a template website from a business POV, that doesn't hide the fact that the template itself is badly designed.

I'm surprised no other company has offered an alternative web solution to football clubs - it would be a great business opportunity and it wouldn't take much to surpass the current templates in wide circulation.

Totally agree - the problem is that they signed up a very high percentage of clubs in a very short space of time and I believe the contract was long term. They saw the opportunity and got in quick at the right time

Anyone trying to compete with that would have to spend a lot of money on breaking the monopoly and it would take a long while.

I think and hope that PTV will sort the templates out soon!

Totally agree - the problem is that they signed up a very high percentage of clubs in a very short space of time and I believe the contract was long term. They saw the opportunity and got in quick at the right time

Anyone trying to compete with that would have to spend a lot of money on breaking the monopoly and it would take a long while.

I think and hope that PTV will sort the templates out soon!

From memory the websites were all provided by Premier TV as part of the pay TV deal that folded a few years ago. I don't think the clubs had a say in who they used as it was all wrapped up in a bigger deal. As they have stuck with the one provider (no longer Premier TV) I assume the website element of the deal survived the bigger deal collapsing, they may have sold on this part of the package to recover some of the lost funds from the collapse.

There was a time that if you had a log-in for the paid content for one club this would work on all the sites, I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Archived