Metgod interview

ramblur

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I catch that right, that we're a bottom 6 budget club? If that is true, I certainly have a lot more respect for Nigel and the job he is doing. I really don't see how we're supposed to challenge the top 6 on those finances and more to the point how much money must the rest of the league be losing?

Did I catch that right, that we're a bottom 6 budget club? If that is true, I certainly have a lot more respect for Nigel and the job he is doing. I really don't see how we're supposed to challenge the top 6 on those finances and more to the point how much money must the rest of the league be losing?

I did mention that the bulk of the total £3m+ savings on wages (including payroll overheads) for 10/11 must have related to players.Here were the staffing numbers for 10/11 and 9/10 (the first figure is full time positions,the second part time):-

10/11 Players and apprentices 45/0 Management and coaching 33/8 Groundsmen,kitchen&cleaning 15/6 Admin&marketing 48/26

9/10 ------------do-------------- 54/0 ---------------do-------------- 30/13 ---------------do----------------- 16/2 ---------do-------- 54/32

Management and coaching may well be a little misleading,in that 'management' may also include office managers.Unless there are some extremely well paid non playing employees that have flown the nest,the vast bulk of savings must be on players.

I notice that another forum suggests that FFP may have hit snags (no great surprise there).

Yes you did catch that right but I would like to see some evidence of this and also know what constitutes a 'bottom 6 budget club'

Yes you did catch that right but I would like to see some evidence of this and also know what constitutes a 'bottom 6 budget club'

I would suggest it means at least 18 other clubs in the Championship have a bigger budget than us.

I suspect that Metgod's talking of the aggregate wages of the squad they've been using,and the one that in the main will be taken into next season.The actual wage bill will be greater than this because of Pearson,Leacock,Bywater,Croft etc,but of course these wages are of no use to Clough as he's obviously under instructions to slash the bill.Therefore I think it's quite reasonable for him to talk in terms of the players they're actually using.

The management team will no doubt know full well the players' wages budgets of other clubs as managers talk amongst themselves.I think it would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

We will not be paying as much per player as the top teams. I would have thought next season our top earning player will be on £6-8k a week. I imagine West Ham's players will each be on more than this.

I think we probably have one of the smallest squads in the division and, therefore, our average wage per player could possibly as high as other teams.

Obviously boosted by the massive wages of the likes of Ball,Hendrick,Doyle,Legzdins,OB,Bennett,Theo etc,not forgetting the Scots,because we all know how expensive they are on wages-why else would we be scouting there again?

We will not be paying as much per player as the top teams. I would have thought next season our top earning player will be on £6-8k a week. I imagine West Ham's players will each be on more than this.

Shows how crap a manager Allardyce is, with thier budget they should be walking the league like Newcastle did.

I imagine all 3 clubs that come down from the Premier League will be on more than that, I am not quite so sure that the other 20 teams will be though.

Obviously boosted by the massive wages of the likes of Ball,Hendrick,Doyle,Legzdins,OB,Bennett,Theo etc,not forgetting the Scots,because we all know how expensive they are on wages-why else would we be scouting there again?

I would doubt we are the only club with players that have come through the academy.

I imagine all 3 clubs that come down from the Premier League will be on more than that, I am not quite so sure that the other 20 teams will be though.

Soton 'lost' £11.5m last year. How big do you think their wage bill is? Look how much Doughty subsidised Forest by. Leicester?

I would doubt we are the only club with players that have come through the academy.

..and the others,who've come from lower divisions/Scotland? Then we could move onto our more senior players like Barker,Shackell and Roberts,who all share one thing in common-they all came from clubs paying lower wages and thus it wouldn't have taken much of a pay rise to give them all decent percentage increases.

Do you think Metgod will receive a reprimand from the club for telling porkies?

Soton 'lost' £11.5m last year. How big do you think their wage bill is? Look how much Doughty subsidised Forest by. Leicester?

We would have lost £13million in 09/10 accounts if it were not for parachute payment. Not aware of anyone at Southampton on huge wages as they have come up from the division below us. Agree that Forest and Leicester are probably paying 3 or 4 times what we pay players but the have both been funded by sugar daddies, something not applicable to the majority of clubs in our division.

..and the others,who've come from lower divisions/Scotland? Then we could move onto our more senior players like Barker,Shackell and Roberts,who all share one thing in common-they all came from clubs paying lower wages and thus it wouldn't have taken much of a pay rise to give them all decent percentage increases.

Do you think Metgod will receive a reprimand from the club for telling porkies?

No I doubt it.

Do you think Metgod has sat down with the accounts of all 24 Championship clubs and calculated wages budgets to justify his comments?

I think I read somewhere that West Ham, Soton, Birmingham an Leicester have the 4 biggest wage bills in the league.

Ipswich,Leeds,Boro,the clubs like Hull and Burnley that are still receiving chute payments...

Archived