Metgod interview

ramblur

Half decent foreign players often have unrealistic expectation on the money front.

Would Idiakez, Rasiak or Reich have been on big wages when they first came over to play for us? I doubt it. None were big name players but made a big difference to our team (at the time)

Plus foreign players coming to the Championship can come over knowing its a shop window for Prem clubs & a lucrative contract in the future. Don't honestly think wages paid by DCFC would be an issue

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would Idiakez, Rasiak or Reich have been on big wages when they first came over to play for us? I doubt it. None were big name players but made a big difference to our team (at the time)

Plus foreign players coming to the Championship can come over knowing its a shop window for Prem clubs & a lucrative contract in the future. Don't honestly think wages paid by DCFC would be an issue

Just quoting what Johnny Metgod said at a forum I went to. At the time when the three you mention came over to us we were paying higher wages than we are now (not that I know what any of the players earn of course - I am just guessing). I think the issue is the standard of foreign player we would want. We are looking for flair, the ability to see and deliver a pass, together with a good work ethic.

Just quoting what Johnny Metgod said at a forum I went to. At the time when the three you mention came over to us we were paying higher wages than we are now (not that I know what any of the players earn of course - I am just guessing). I think the issue is the standard of foreign player we would want. We are looking for flair, the ability to see and deliver a pass, together with a good work ethic.

Well, I'm not going to contradict Metgod as I'm pretty sure he knows a damn sight more about players wage expectations than me. But I would be shocked if there aren't a number of foreign players who could improve the creative side of our game who would not instantly demand 10k a week.

Agree with the second part of your post - they are all attributes which we could do with further up the park, not forgetting hard work (sure Cloughie would insist on this anyway!)

I'm sorry but I can't believe you are saying young players aren't being given a chance at Derby. How many games have Hendrick, O'Brien and Ball played this year. Even Bennett had a few games at the age of 15. Now Naylor is playing regularly.

Sure - and I am happy this is the case. However, Bennett has since been overlooked (even Doyle got in ahead of him), Naylor was only picked when there were no alternatives and Hughes and Richards haven't had a look in. Kwame Thomas is the latest to warm the bench. I'd love to see them given a chance in place of Theo from time to time because for all his hard work he'll never be a footballer.

It's much better now that it has been in the past, when lads from the academy came and went, and I think Clough, given zero budget, will keep faith. It's the ones in the academy at the moment I was talking about.

I have loved seeing those on your list blossom, and can't wait for O'Brien's return.

Well, I'm not going to contradict Metgod as I'm pretty sure he knows a damn sight more about players wage expectations than me. But I would be shocked if there aren't a number of foreign players who could improve the creative side of our game who would not instantly demand 10k a week.

Agree with the second part of your post - they are all attributes which we could do with further up the park, not forgetting hard work (sure Cloughie would insist on this anyway!)

I do agree that we could do with a bit of the old 'Johnny Foreigner' flair, someone who is comfortable holding onto the ball.

I don't have the slightest clue whether I am right or not. Was just trying to show that if you are going to shoot people down for not having 'evidence' of what they are saying, by the same token be prepared to be shot down when your own posts contain the same lack of evidence.

I think gave you a reasonable amount of evidence.

Sure - and I am happy this is the case. However, Bennett has since been overlooked (even Doyle got in ahead of him), Naylor was only picked when there were no alternatives and Hughes and Richards haven't had a look in. Kwame Thomas is the latest to warm the bench. I'd love to see them given a chance in place of Theo from time to time because for all his hard work he'll never be a footballer.

It's much better now that it has been in the past, when lads from the academy came and went, and I think Clough, given zero budget, will keep faith. It's the ones in the academy at the moment I was talking about.

I have loved seeing those on your list blossom, and can't wait for O'Brien's return.

Bennett and Thomas are 15. How many other teams play 15 and 16 year olds in the first team? When lads are that young, they have to exceptional to be picked. Even then they need a few games then dropping back to the youth and reserve teas to reflect on how they need to progress.

Aren't we category 1 with the Academy?

I read that a category 1 Academy had to be run on a budget of $2.5mill.. And a category 2 on something like $900k.. Ipswich fans are un uproar as they decided to go for category 2, which is no suprise with Paul Jewell at tthe helm..

If we're spending that much on the academy, I'd expect to see either a good usage of players from the academy or one being sold every 2 years or so to pay for it..

I personally think we're throwing alot of our eggs in one basket regarding the academy, we've hardly brought through any 'stars' since Moor Farm was built (Huddlestone aside) and the current crop are hardly taking the NPC by storm (hoping that will change with Hughes and Bennett)

The thing is, for it to work, we need to bring players through that will help us win promotion (who has ever built a promotion winning team using only academy players?? - It doesn't happen) or we need to sell off decent players for $2.5mill+ so we can put that back into the first team.

I'd gladly take $3mill for Bennett now if someone offered it.. That could buy us 3 quality NPC players.

You could argue that Man Utd won many trophies with an Academy team, Neville, Butt, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs.

If you're as old as UttoxRam you may remember they won trophies under Busby with an Academy team.

It would seem the quality and quantity of young players coming through has increased under NC. These are the young players who have played for the first team under NC. I may miss one or two

Severn, O'Brien, Naylor, Connolly, Doyle, Hendrick, Mendy, Hughes, Ball, Bennett unused sub Thomas. Almost a team.

I have to say in nearly 40 years of Derby I haven't seen so many good young players coming through. They key will be how they progress over the next 2-3 years.

I think gave you a reasonable amount of evidence.

My statement was backed up with numbers from the accounts and a comparison to a football club roughly the same size as ours. Your statement was backed up by 'friend told me so'. I would hardly call that evidence.

Sage you can't use the academy of the best football team in England as an example.. Of course the top teams should be bringing through the best players, they can basically cherry pick all the best ones..

I think the ones that came through under George Burley and Phil Brown are better than this lot.. Lee Grant, Camp, Tudgay, Huddlestone, McLeod, Mutch, Barnes, Nyatanga all came through within 2 years and were IMO technically superior than this lot.. It's a shame we never got to see Mutch.

But we'll only know over the next couple of years whether they can make the grade..

My statement was backed up with numbers from the accounts and a comparison to a football club roughly the same size as ours. Your statement was backed up by 'friend told me so'. I would hardly call that evidence.

Good selective quoting. Ignore the other elements. While you're there ignore Bris's post about us being a category 1 academy.

Good selective quoting. Ignore the other elements. While you're there ignore Bris's post about us being a category 1 academy.

Sorry forgot you have been to 6 other academies too. Why would I take Bris's post into account when he is discussing something that has not been implemented yet?

Forest who have one of the bigger academies in the championship have 15 full time staff. We have 21.

You have chosen to count all of our coaches as full time staff then? Where is your evidence that they are full time? Why would they be full time when the kids they are coaching are at school most of the week? Forest state they have 12-16 coaches as opposed to our 7.

Forest who have one of the bigger academies in the championship have 15 full time staff. We have 21.

You don't happen to know how many part time staff we have,Sage? The accounts show 33 full time and 8 part time (for managers and coaching staff),so we might be able to work out how many non football managers (if any) are included in the numbers.One problem though is that my figures relate to 10/11 and I know there have been additions (Short?) since then.

Archived