Metgod interview

ramblur

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just to summarise...you have no evidence either other than you guessing that we have more facilities.

If the figures quoted by Metgod are correct then it would not be unreasonable to suggest that up to 40% of our wage budget is on non playing staff and this would lead to a higher than average non playing wage bill.

I am not guessing that we have more facilities. I have been there. I have also been to a few other academies.

I bow to your apparent superior knowledge.

I have never been inside Moor Farm, but I used to go in to Raynesway regularly, and there were track suited non-playing staff all over the place, the canteen was full of them.

Maybe we work in the Academy.

Yes I can imagine that there are 50 more people working in the academy than at Forest.

I am not guessing that we have more facilities. I have been there. I have also been to a few other academies.

Would you like to expand on how many of the other 91 league club academies you have visited?

Yes I can imagine that there are 50 more people working in the academy than at Forest.

Would you like to expand on how many of the other 91 league club academies you have visited?

6. One of my friends who worked for Derby full time has been to many more and says there isn't one as good outside the Prem. Why are you talking about 91 clubs when we are talking about the championship?

It's been well documented how much we invested in Moor Farm and new players always comment on the facilities compared with the clubs they have come from.

Are you trying to tell me you think Moor Farm is an 'average' Academy set up for the championship?

6. One of my friends who worked for Derby full time has been to many more and says there isn't one as good outside the Prem. Why are you talking about 91 clubs when we are talking about the championship?

It's been well documented how much we invested in Moor Farm and new players always comment on the facilities compared with the clubs they have come from.

Are you trying to tell me you think Moor Farm is an 'average' Academy set up for the championship?

If there isn't one as good outside the Prem, how come since it has been opened we have only managed to bring about 5 players through it?

Just because we spent money on a nice swanky building and state of the art equipment does not mean we need more members of staff to run it.

In terms of size, yes I imagine Moor Farm is an 'average' academy.

If there isn't one as good outside the Prem, how come since it has been opened we have only managed to bring about 5 players through it?

Just because we spent money on a nice swanky building and state of the art equipment does not mean we need more members of staff to run it.

I don't think we have enough faith in our young players. They get a place on the bench, ten nervous minutes on the pitch and then don't feature for months. I really hope Clough takes advantage of our current crop, many of whom have representative experience for England, a real chance to prove themselves.

If that's what you think, then fair enough.

I don't think we have enough faith in our young players. They get a place on the bench, ten nervous minutes on the pitch and then don't feature for months. I really hope Clough takes advantage of our current crop, many of whom have representative experience for England, a real chance to prove themselves.

I'm sorry but I can't believe you are saying young players aren't being given a chance at Derby. How many games have Hendrick, O'Brien and Ball played this year. Even Bennett had a few games at the age of 15. Now Naylor is playing regularly.

If that's what you think, then fair enough.

I don't have the slightest clue whether I am right or not. Was just trying to show that if you are going to shoot people down for not having 'evidence' of what they are saying, by the same token be prepared to be shot down when your own posts contain the same lack of evidence.

So we're basically being prepared for a considerable stay in the championship unless Nigel and co pull off a giant killing- let us face it, we're no more likely to get promoted than Blackpool were a couple of years ago, how many times does that happen? I can see FFP creating a two tier championship with a top 10 or so being made up of yo-yo clubs and those with a recent promotion to their name. I presume FFP will take a number of years to bed in fully which allows current spenders the opportunity to get into the premier league and join that mini league. It could be 3-5 years before we see any "benefit" of FFP and then what, we have the 10th largest budget in the championship excluding the clubs with chute payments and the odd other big club like Leeds or Wednesday (if they were back in the champ). This is so depressing.

I don't see why people are saying that NC will have to pull off a miracle or giant killing or whatever other expression they choose to use. At the end of the day the clubs coming down from the Premiership are always going to have an advantage in terms of their budget and this will only change if we get mega rich owners like Leicester, but look at two of the teams that have been up the top in the last two years in Norwich and Southampton, they did not need loads of money thrown at them, they just took time building a team spirit which enabled them to compete at the top of this league.

I don't see why people are saying that NC will have to pull off a miracle or giant killing or whatever other expression they choose to use. At the end of the day the clubs coming down from the Premiership are always going to have an advantage in terms of their budget and this will only change if we get mega rich owners like Leicester, but look at two of the teams that have been up the top in the last two years in Norwich and Southampton, they did not need loads of money thrown at them, they just took time building a team spirit which enabled them to compete at the top of this league.

The point is, we're in a lottery now with just as much chance of promotion as Watford or Barnsley, I thought Derby had an advantage over a lot of this league interms of size, I've just realised we don't, maybe I'm not as up to speed as I should be. I'd say in any one season from here on in there must be at least 12 teams or so more fancied for promotion than ourselves which suggests Nigel has a job on his hands.

Re. Other clubs, I confess to not knowing a single thing about them, I barely have enough time to follow Derby's football results let alone finances. I thought Southampton had raised a bit in selling players which has made them take a gamble? Norwich are a big club in this league in their own right with average gates of about 24k (?), I'd assume they'd have higher gate receipts than ourselves? I'm looking forwards not backwards, I see more polarisation in the league not less. I'd love to know if Norwich and Saints got(/will be) promoted on a bottom 6 budget. Only Blackpool springs to mind?

The point is, we're in a lottery now with just as much chance of promotion as Watford or Barnsley, I thought Derby had an advantage over a lot of this league interms of size, I've just realised we don't, maybe I'm not as up to speed as I should be. I'd say in any one season from here on in there must be at least 12 teams or so more fancied for promotion than ourselves which suggests Nigel has a job on his hands.

This division has been a lottery for a long time. Portsmouth, Wigan, Wolves, Hull, Burnley, Blackpool, Norwich, Swansea...none of them were expected to gain promotion when they did. Every year people say this will be the hardest season yet in the Championship and very rarely do all 3 of the favourites go up.

Re. Other clubs, I confess to not knowing a single thing about them, I barely have enough time to follow Derby's football results let alone finances. I thought Southampton had raised a bit in selling players which has made them take a gamble? Norwich are a big club in this league in their own right with average gates of about 24k (?), I'd assume they'd have higher gate receipts than ourselves? I'm looking forwards not backwards, I see more polarisation in the league not less. I'd love to know if Norwich and Saints got(/will be) promoted on a bottom 6 budget. Only Blackpool springs to mind?

You may be right with Norwich and Southampton but I can't remember them making any multi million signings that spring to mind.

PistoldPete2

Soton 'lost' £11.5m last year. How big do you think their wage bill is? Look how much Doughty subsidised Forest by. Leicester?

Yes there are some big spenders in this league. the three relegated teams obviously although Blackpool are quite frugal. Then theres Leicester and Forest still have a big wage bill. Ipswich are big spenders too. Surprised we are as low as 18th though.

Lot of negativity on this thread - although it clearly helps, building a successful football team is about way more than splashing cash on the latest form player in the division. It is a combination of canny transfer policy, playing style, competence of management, youth integration & yes, money.

Think people are forgetting that;

a) relegated Prem sides are rarely a threat to going straight back up because of the financial strain of honouring existing Prem contracts - this particularly applies to sides who have been in the Prem a few years, rather than yo-yo one season wonders. Don't believe me? Check out how many Prem sides have bounced straight back up in the last 15 years.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> sides splashing the cash in this division don't necessarily transform into title winners. Look at Leicester - a side that has spent 5m alone on one player & are on a similiar points tally to us...18 months into their "new era" (financed by debt). Ipswich who have splashed the cash in the past 3 seasons yet not finished even top 10 yet. Middlesboro have a wage bill of £36m - they are absolutely nowhere near the auto promo places. Money does not equal success.

The key to success at Derby is building on the existing blocks we have in place - a tight, hardworking set of players on the young side & with talented youngsters on the sidelines, We are not that far from breaking the top 6 & lots of other low spending teams have made the playoffs in recent seasons - Blackpool, Swansea, Preston, Reading...also look at teams in & around us - Watford & Palace who will have wage bills lower than us.

The next step is finding some creativity to supplement our hard work & give us that edge. I would like Cloughie to consider the foreign market for this as is a lot cheaper than UK based.

Lot of negativity on this thread - although it clearly helps, building a successful football team is about way more than splashing cash on the latest form player in the division. It is a combination of canny transfer policy, playing style, competence of management, youth integration & yes, money.

Think people are forgetting that;

a) relegated Prem sides are rarely a threat to going straight back up because of the financial strain of honouring existing Prem contracts - this particularly applies to sides who have been in the Prem a few years, rather than yo-yo one season wonders. Don't believe me? Check out how many Prem sides have bounced straight back up in the last 15 years.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> sides splashing the cash in this division don't necessarily transform into title winners. Look at Leicester - a side that has spent 5m alone on one player & are on a similiar points tally to us...18 months into their "new era" (financed by debt). Ipswich who have splashed the cash in the past 3 seasons yet not finished even top 10 yet. Middlesboro have a wage bill of £36m - they are absolutely nowhere near the auto promo places. Money does not equal success.

The key to success at Derby is building on the existing blocks we have in place - a tight, hardworking set of players on the young side & with talented youngsters on the sidelines, We are not that far from breaking the top 6 & lots of other low spending teams have made the playoffs in recent seasons - Blackpool, Swansea, Preston, Reading...also look at teams in & around us - Watford & Palace who will have wage bills lower than us.

The next step is finding some creativity to supplement our hard work & give us that edge. I would like Cloughie to consider the foreign market for this as is a lot cheaper than UK based.

Half decent foreign players often have unrealistic expectation on the money front.

Archived