Fabrice Muamba collapses

ramexpat

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fabrice Muamba has walked for the first time since suffering a cardiac arrest as his condition continues to improve.

"He's taking steps, talking and has that big smile we love to see. He is progressing the right way," said Owen Coyle, the player's manager at Bolton.

Former England Under-21 international Muamba was technically "dead" for 78 minutes after collapsing in Wanderers' FA Cup tie at Tottenham last month.

Muamba, who turns 24 on Friday, remains in intensive care at a London hospital.

"He has done some short periods of walking down the corridor he is in as part of the unit, staying in intensive care," added Coyle.

The midfielder collapsed on the White Hart Lane pitch during the quarter-final match on 17 March and was given 15 defibrillator shocks before he reached hospital.

Muamba, whose family posted the first public picture of him on Twitter from his hospital room last week, has received thousands of get-well messages from players, officials and supporters across the world.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside and club doctor Jonathan Tobin have visited the player at the London Chest Hospital this week.

Coyle said: "A couple of players have been sending him messages and we are keeping in touch. It has been great to see that smile and he continues to get better.

"We have to stress that he still has a long way to go, but the improvement has been remarkable and long may that continue."

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to say - Fabrice was sent home from hospital on Monday. Considering that he was effectively dead for 70 odd minutes, I think that's remarkable. Good on him.

RIP Morosini, tragic.

• 2 weeks later...

Will he ever play again? not really read much about the after effects of his flat lining episode.

I expect its unknown at the moment, depends on the damage and how well it repairs, time is the only one that can tell. Would be nothing short of a miracle if he pulled on a 1st team strip, I kinda hope he does.

yeah.

they can give you micro pace makers nowdays to make sure your heart keeps beating. So I guess its all down to whether he had any brain damage etc.

But, to be alive is a miracle.

It would probably be a micro-defibrillator actually. They're mounted under the skin outside the chest cavity, don't know if that's a problem for contact sports?

• 1 month later...

Archived