Reading takeover

Bris Vegas

Sir John Madejski is on the verge of selling Reading to a Russian billionaire in a deal that could top £40million. The Royals chairman signed an agreement with Team Sport International on Friday that will end with tycoon Anton Zingarevich, 29, buying the club.

[size=3][size=4]Reading manager Brian McDermott flew to Milan to meet the club's prospective owners earlier in the week to discuss team rebuilding. He has been assured by Zingarevich that his job is safe as Reading push for promotion to the top flight. Madejski has agreed a deal to sell 51 per cent of his stake in the club with an option on the remainder of his shareholding. Zingarevich, educated in Reading before moving to New York to attend university, signed off the deal on Friday.

His management consultants PWC are going through the process of due diligence but they do not expect any issues. Chief executive Nigel Howe, nephew of former Arsenal coach Don, will be retained along with Madejski in his role as chairman, while director of football Nicky Hammond will also remain at the club.[/size][/size]

So Nicky Maynard, Jordan Rhodes and Arshavin to Reading then.. Either a Leicester City Mark II disaster or a comfortable PL club in the next few years..

Those PL spots are starting to run out for the likes of us..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To hell with the PL, to hell with football.

I only maintain half the interest I used to have in the PL beacuse of the money and even that interest is on the wane.

I really don't care when I hear stories like this.

I am 100% genuine when I say that I hope upon hope that some super rich madman (cause that is what you have to be to waste you money in football) doesn't take over DCFC as it will cause me to lose interest in one of the things I feel so passionetly about in my life.

Thank you Glick for trying to run our club on a sustainbable business plan. I only wish everyone had your business acumen.

I was just about to sneer at this & then I thought - home counties club, family friendly, not much by way of local rivals - Reading probably aren't a bad club to throw a few quid at.

That said, I do find this "lottery win" mentality a bit depressing - one minute a club is playing by the same rules as the rest of us, the next, they're chucking millions around (on generally slightly above ordinary players) to maybe....one day....finish 8th in the Premiership. Something to truly tell the grandkids.

And no, I didn't enjoy the Pickering era for the same reason (although a great Derby man RIP)

it's certainly the rage on Reading forums - 15 pages of comments on Royals Rendezvous - found here in case anyone's interested:

[url=http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9354221/1]http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9354221/1

Yes yes, we heard you! Spammer! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

To hell with the PL, to hell with football.

I only maintain half the interest I used to have in the PL beacuse of the money and even that interest is on the wane.

I really don't care when I hear stories like this.

I am 100% genuine when I say that I hope upon hope that some super rich madman (cause that is what you have to be to waste you money in football) doesn't take over DCFC as it will cause me to lose interest in one of the things I feel so passionetly about in my life.

Thank you Glick for trying to run our club on a sustainbable business plan. I only wish everyone had your business acumen.

Agree with you there, at least our owners all are tracable and financially accountable, I just hope this isn't a front for some dodgy investment group, and a decent club ends up like Coventry, or like us with the 3 amigos.

Hello all, Royals fan in peace! No issues with your club at all, you're one of the most respectable ones.

Whats the general feeling amongst the Royals faithful?

Good?

Bad?

Indifferent?

Challenging Man Citeh in 2 years?

Quietly optimistic.

We're going to be continuing as we were, but we'll no longer have to sell our best players every summer (Kitson, Shorey, Sonko, Doyle, Hunt, Bikey, Sigurdsson, Long and Mills (well, he was never one of our best players) have gone since relegation for £3-7m) and we'll be slightly more active. We're not going to be the new Man City, the new guy is only as rich as Peter Coates, but with Madejski losing money with every investment he makes, we're secure for the future.

Some people are going mental, but most are staying grounded.

Yep, Exiled Royal has summed it up just about right. And most Reading fans are pretty tame, so don't worry!

And, for a really good analysis try reading the Matthew chap on here:

[url=http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/118200-Who-will-buy-this-Wonderful-Football-Club?p=2130761&viewfull=1#post2130761]http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/118200-Who-will-buy-this-Wonderful-Football-Club?p=2130761&viewfull=1#post2130761

(not spam, nothing to do with me or my site 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> )

One of my good friends is a Reading fan and I occasionally went with his family to see them play.. I've seen them play more times (live at a stadium) than any other club other than Derby..Especially the midland games. I went to around 16 games over three seasons during Coppels reign.. I think I even have an account on their forum hobnob but I can't remember it.

My favourite two games watching them was when they went away to Wolves and thrashed them 0-3 when Wolves were clear favourites and another away at Crewe (1-1) on a cold snowy tuesday night during a winless run of about 11 games. Good times..

Also I probably know more about their players and especially youths in their academy than a fair few of their fans..

I hope they don't start buying players Leicester City style.. Picking up players from the likes of Leyton Orient, Brentford, Arsenal reserves and Ireland for cheap and selling them on for big money was part of a successful and well run business. They're one of a few clubs (like us now) who do it properly.

Don't think there's a danger there, Bris, remember that the now manager Brian McDermott was chief scout for many years, then reserve team manager. He loves buying unknown qualities and shaping them up. But it's not just that. He's got that family ethos about him which makes big business quite alien to him - he's even had young players living in digs in HIS house (including Shane Long!) and didn't even charge, or charged a pittance. Whilst he's here there's little chance of the club doing doing a Chelski! And the current chairman Madejski, who's lovably tight-fisted, is going to remain very much around - he's goy no ideas of retiring it seems...

And just got wind of this:

TSI said:

"Thames Sports Investment Ltd, a newly-founded private investment company, are very pleased to have signed Heads of Agreement with Sir John Madejski on Friday to acquire a significant holding in Reading Football Club. Our agreement is now subject to due diligence and the normal procedures from the Football League. The transaction is due to complete in March 2012, but the Heads of Agreement, as agreed with Sir John Madejski, includes providing Reading Football Club with some limited funding now to enable Brian McDermott and Nick Hammond to strengthen the playing squad during this January transfer window. TSI have met with Brian, Nick Hammond and the club to begin this process. TSI is also delighted that Sir John Madejski has agreed to remain Chairman of Reading Football Club until at least 2014, and to become Life President if and when he decides to step down. TSI wishes to emphasise that Reading Football Club's management team will remain unchanged, as will the fundamental policies of the club, including prudent fiscal management. Since Sir John Madejski took over at Elm Park in 1991 this club has rightly earned a first class reputation, on and off the pitch. TSI value and respect the ethos and approach held by everyone associated with Reading - the Chairman, staff, players and supporters. TSI's financial support aims to allow the club to retain its best players and acquire additional players as the football management team see fit. It will also enable the club to expand and further improve its successful Academy and scouting operations."

I think with McDermott, Hammond and Madejski you have really sensible people taking charge on all fronts of the club..

There doesn't need to be a huge change at the club, it's successful and well run as it is.. With those 3 around and some added cash along the way Reading have to be amongst the favourites to go up next season..

But what's with the Jimmy Kebe contract situation now? His wage demands break through the so called 'wage cap' as it seems and whilst not signing him up can be shown as a lack of 'ambition' (we're in exactly the same boat with Paul Green) perhaps loading him off and getting in a decent young player for a sizable 'transfer deal' but lower wages is now on the cards?

I think with McDermott, Hammond and Madejski you have really sensible people taking charge on all fronts of the club..

There doesn't need to be a huge change at the club, it's successful and well run as it is.. With those 3 around and some added cash along the way Reading have to be amongst the favourites to go up next season..

But what's with the Jimmy Kebe contract situation now? His wage demands break through the so called 'wage cap' as it seems and whilst not signing him up can be shown as a lack of 'ambition' (we're in exactly the same boat with Paul Green) perhaps loading him off and getting in a decent young player for a sizable 'transfer deal' but lower wages is now on the cards?

he's premier league quality, and your wigans/stokes/Wolves would pay good money for him.

Archived