Racist Chanting

CumbrianRam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reports of some Liverpool fans directing offensive (possible racist) chants towards Oldham Athletic's Tom Adeyemi.

Wouldn't surprise me. Probably did it to 'back' Suarez 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Reports of some Liverpool fans directing offensive (possible racist) chants towards Oldham Athletic's Tom Adeyemi.

Surely not, I thought this country had ridden that from the stands. Although with whats happening at Anfield at the moment who knows.

Liverpool and Merseyside Police are investigating an incident of alleged abuse from fans towards Oldham Athletic defender Tom Adeyemi.

The 20-year-old was visibly upset late in his side's 5-1 FA Cup third round defeat at Anfield on Friday.

The game was stopped for a period of time while Adeyemi alerted referee Neil Swarbrick to the incident.

However, Merseyside Police confirmed that no arrests has been made for "racially aggravated behaviour".

A Liverpool statement said: "An incident occurred in the second half of the match which is now being investigated by both the club and the police.

"We will continue to work closely with the police to establish the details of what actually happened and will make a further statement in due course."

Oldham manager Paul Dickov revealed he had not spoken to the player about the incident, but accepted something had upset him.

"From my point of view I have not spoken to Tom about it but I know the kid and something has been said," said Dickov.

"He is a placid boy, a kid who has been well-educated with a fantastic temperament and has been with us since the end of August and I've never seen him raise his voice.

"For him to react like that it is obvious something has been said but what has been said I don't know because I've not had a chance to ask - I was too busy praising my players.

"He is fine now. He has calmed down. He is a laid-back kid who just gets on with business.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish

"Our players went and calmed him down and the Liverpool players did as well, which was fantastic and is why they are top professionals."

The incident involving Adeyemi compounds a difficult few weeks for Liverpool, who were without Luis Suarez for the match against the Latics as the striker serves an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra at Anfield in October.

Oldham gave their Premier League opponents a scare when Robbie Simpson fired in from 30 yards, but goals from Craig Bellamy, Steven Gerrard, from the penalty spot, Jonjo Shelvey, Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing sealed Liverpool's passage to the fourth round.

"The scoreline is a bit flattering really," said Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish, who made eight changes to the side that lost to Manchester City on Tuesday.

"Oldham did their club and their manager proud.

"They created one or two threatening situations for themselves, especially in the first half, so getting back as quickly as we did with the equaliser helped us.

"But the scoreline does not reflect the distance between the two teams on that performance."

Archived