How good are these players?

Toadbelly

Hi All...have been away for a bit (tend to avoid coming on here when we are playing badly as the moaning gets to be a bit too much) but managed to get caught up a little on Rams Player and have a couple of questions that perhaps you lot could help with.

Firstly, has Fielding been playing as well as he seems to be based on the highlights? Some AMAZING saves recently...save of the year amazing really.

Secondly, how good is Callum Ball, really? He seems a biggish lad with decent ball control and a good finisher...is this about right? A real prospect?

With everyone coming back to fitness, do we have a team capable of getting to the play-offs? With wins against a resurgent Bristol City and three teams in play-off/promotion spots, the signs are good.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi mate, welcome back- I tend to steer clear during the bad times too! Fielding has made some very good saves recently, he does make the odd mistake and poor decision but it is easy to forget how young he is- genuinely an exciting prospect if we can keep hold of him in the long term.

Our recent run is typified by hard work and honesty rather than skill and flair but as the confidence has grown there has been a glimmer of slick football. Also, the difference in the amount of pace we have compared to the majority of the past few years is really showing. We look threatening on the counter attack now and can break at speed. This, coupled with the basis of a solid back 4 (even Roberts is looking steady these days but gives away a lot of free kicks mainly due to lack of pace/ poor positioning), is translating into a team that is capable of a smash and grab such as the one at Hull.

Ball does look a good prospect, big and strong and is looking composed on the ball providing a genuine threat- one thing I will say is that he is a little slow to react at times and maybe could get a yard or two sharper. However, he certainly does not look out of place and has proved his worth against some experience defenders and keepers already.

As for the P word, I think it is too soon for this team but if we can put a decent second half of the season in then maybe we could be there or there abouts in the playoffs but I think it would be better to finish outside the playoffs this season and try to pull up trees next season if we can keep the players fit. One of the biggest pluses for me has been Bryson- not the most skillful but fairly quick, strong in the challenge, capable of scoring and will chase and close down all day.

In a nutshell- we a re looking much healthier than last season and the potential this squad has is beginning to tell- for me a top half finish would be great and a good spring board into next season and hopefully a chance to mix it in the top six. Hope this helps

My take on recent events, especially this good run...

1) Nigel Clough - he has got it spot on recently, especially over the christmas period... the way we've set out and played, have won us points.

2)The Back 5 - build from the back, with Barker fully fit and finding the balance between him and shackell has been massive, Roberts in the form of his life, best game he's had for us by a mile against West Ham and Brayford returning to form, as you said like Fielding... it looks like a difficult unit to breakdown, one of the hardest in the championship and with so many games in a short space of time, it sounds like we depended on it to win the game today/yesterday.

3) Callum Ball - I had serious doubts over him until he scored, now he looks a completely different player.. at Peterborough, I was close to throwing my hope in over him, for a big lad he didn't look at all competent in the air, his groundwork was a lot to be desired for and always looked to be miles away from the goal, or doing any damage, as well as losing the ball regularly.. BUT, now he looks a different player, due to confidence or just getting experience, you decide but his all-round play has improved massively, I still think there is room for improvement and I think we have to be sensible about him, he is never going to be a world beater or a premiership pin-up, but if he keeps improving he can establish himself at this level, no doubt.

The premier league brings up some bad memories, but I will say this, the premiership is nothing to what it was when we was in it, THAT season was as good as it has ever been, world class players hit form all at the same time, every team (apart from us) seemed to have a player who could hurt you and they did, we also had an old squad and massive question marks to how we spent the money, and who on...

My opinion, the club has never been in better shape for a promotion, the team however needs improvement, but with so many young players it's a mystery to know what standard some of the players in the current squad could be in a years time, however you've got to be careful to how you improve the side, the team spirit seems to be a one of a kind, a few bad apples.. that disappears!

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. Overall, looking at the team now, I am definitely encouraged. Cloughie seems to be able to find and develop lower league talent. I am sure the owners love this but then, so do I...is there anything better than seeing a player develop at your club into a star, or building a team from the lower leagues that then goes on to achieve real success?

Early days yet but how many out and out failures has Clough had with players he has bought (as in paid good money for) for the long haul?

This is an interesting blog article on Cloughie's transfer activity....amazing really....he has transformed the team, made a net profit of around $1million, and slashed the wage bill. To me, that is indicative of a manager with a great future.

[url=http://www.derbycountyblog.com/nigel-cloughs-transfer-activity-as-derby-county-manager/]http://www.derbycountyblog.com/nigel-cloughs-transfer-activity-as-derby-county-manager/

Hi All...have been away for a bit (tend to avoid coming on here when we are playing badly as the moaning gets to be a bit too much) but managed to get caught up a little on Rams Player and have a couple of questions that perhaps you lot could help with.

Firstly, has Fielding been playing as well as he seems to be based on the highlights? Some AMAZING saves recently...save of the year amazing really.

Secondly, how good is Callum Ball, really? He seems a biggish lad with decent ball control and a good finisher...is this about right? A real prospect?

With everyone coming back to fitness, do we have a team capable of getting to the play-offs? With wins against a resurgent Bristol City and three teams in play-off/promotion spots, the signs are good.

sing when yer winning, you only sing when yer winning.............. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

You can over-egg it, but take away the wins and the emotion and everything and I'm totally convinced that we've got a very talented player on our hands with Ball. That run he went on against West Ham was a flash of genius.

Think a lot of our players are running on high spirits at the moment. But I think Ball is going to make us rich, one way or another.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. Overall, looking at the team now, I am definitely encouraged. Cloughie seems to be able to find and develop lower league talent. I am sure the owners love this but then, so do I...is there anything better than seeing a player develop at your club into a star, or building a team from the lower leagues that then goes on to achieve real success?

Early days yet but how many out and out failures has Clough had with players he has bought (as in paid good money for) for the long haul?

This is an interesting blog article on Cloughie's transfer activity....amazing really....he has transformed the team, made a net profit of around $1million, and slashed the wage bill. To me, that is indicative of a manager with a great future.

[url=http://www.derbycountyblog.com/nigel-cloughs-transfer-activity-as-derby-county-manager/]http://www.derbycoun...county-manager/

Clough OU....

IN! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Sook- ouch!

I don't think there is anything wrong with staying away when the chips are down- I feel like burying my head in the sand when we aren't playing well and coming on here with all the doom mongers just makes it worse, it is amazing how negative "fans" can be after after a few narrow defeats! Similarly though, I don't like to talk of promotion either so I am a glass exactly half full kind of guy (and not a drop more!).

[url=http://www.derbycountyblog.com/nigel-cloughs-transfer-activity-as-derby-county-manager/]http://www.derbycoun...county-manager/

Very interesting, and when wages are added to transfer fees he's saved us even more!

Archived