How Long Before Wassell's Poached?

Saunders89

Being as Darren Wassell's doing such a fantastic job with our youth set up the inevitable question has to be raised I'm afraid. We've seen it in the past with the likes of McClaren and Round.

I think we've got a fantastic youth set up at the moment and some great young talent coming through, it would be such a shame for him to be pulled away from a job he's doing so well. Anyone know if he was "looked after" along with the other back room staff a few weeks ago?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

str

I think his contract is not related to Clough and his back room staff. Therefore he will be with us until we are the new Barca and rule the world.

Might have a fiver on a Champions League/Premier League double in 2020.

Stranger things have happened with a guy called Clough 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Dont think the likes of City, United, Liverpool etc. will be head hunting Wassall.

Maybe not, but teams well established in the Premier League could, those with little or no finances, or owners who don't put their hands in their pockets (sounds familiar!), the likes of the teams chasing Europa Cup places, e.g. Everton (even though they do have a good youth set up in fairness), Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa for example who are.

We'll see, it's still early days yet I suppose and maybe in a couple of years things will have changed, if Nigel goes he could go too.

Hopefully we can keep hold of him for years to come. Players with potential is certainly better than producing players with none. Since Westley left our academy has struggled, wasn't aided by the lack of attention/investment mind, but now it seems it's on the way back to good standards.

I dont think you can praise our youth set up until some of the players that come through the academy actually achieve something. At the moment all we've got is players with potential.

Yeah, nothing at all. Its not like the youth team are winning anything is it, especially in the FA youth cup? Maybe we could produce someone capable if representing their country in youth competition? And when was the last time we saw any of the products making the step up into the first team? I wish that players such as Hendrick, O'brien, Ball and Bennett could feature in a championship game or two. Oh well, maybe we should scrap the youth team altogether as it is obviously a waste of money and time.

Being as Darren Wassell's doing such a fantastic job with our youth set up the inevitable question has to be raised I'm afraid. We've seen it in the past with the likes of McClaren and Round.

I think we've got a fantastic youth set up at the moment and some great young talent coming through, it would be such a shame for him to be pulled away from a job he's doing so well. Anyone know if he was "looked after" along with the other back room staff a few weeks ago?

The Youth Set up has a long way to go before it can be called fantastic. There is a good current crop at the higher age group and that has been apparent for a year or two and they are rightly been given the chance to progress as fast as possible.

However we have had some fallow years and indications are the years below are not likely to be as fertile and we are still facing a battle to get the top young lads in the area to Derby. Nigel has made this a priority to change this he faces competition from not just the Nottingham clubs but the Sheffield ones as well who have some very good under 12 to 14 players now. I believe if he hears of a talented player even of a very young age he will contact the parents personally such is his determination on this.

. Good post Darren is doing well with the young lads but its Glick and Cloughie driving this but Nigel knows he needs to be balanced with the pace of bringing youth through as early promise does not always bare fruit. The first team needs a balance of experience and youth that's why players like Maguire should be also given their chances. Cloughie has an abundance of choices as the squad gets back to fitness after injury crisis which is great .

Take Glick out of this the guy is clueless on football, it is Nigel who is making this his passion and for him to actually contact parents and not leave it to his staff shows his commitment to making Derby the club these young kids commit to. This starts from 8 years old and the younger you get them the better.

. When I say Glick m8 I'm purely talking about him in the press stating the club has a commitment to the Academy. PS It does appear now that with new FA rules on Academies that clubs may not get much remuneration when players are poached by so called bigger clubs with just getting set fees

Yes he is the front man and he looks good and sounds nice. The success of these Academies though is based on 2 things the quality of the coaching physical, tactical, skills and mental and of course picking the right lads for the academy, which sounds a lot easier than it is. Also it is the ethos of the manager, is he going to give lads a chance if they have done all the right things in the academy. For example if you have a manager like Billy Davies, who likes to buy players ready made is there any point even having your own academy.

The whole selection process is such a minefield. There are so many kids out there who are good footballers but how do you get the ones who have the ability physically and mentally to progress. It is guesswork and intuition mainly as you don't know the kids well enough yourself as a coach. That's why they use these Development Centres below the academies but you still need some luck to strike gold.

. Ok you sound well informed and I agree with your points but I do feel the new FA rules referred to in another thread on here I think its called EPPP could well be the demise of the Academies due to lack of remuneration when youths are poached by the big fish correct me if I'm wrong

No I don't think so because the big clubs will only want the super-talented stand out player and not all lads would go young anyway. Inspite of popular belief most parents and kids don't just chase money they would be loyal to the people that look after and develop the youngster and offer them the best opportunity.

. Ok but what about say Mason Bennett who is 15 and still at school but has played for the Rams 1st team and has got a contract and is a product of the Academy what happens if say Arsenal come in for him

Mason looks to be one of the super-talented I was talking about and as he has a contract I am not sure of the rules. I will look into them, if Arsenal do come in it would be a brave thing to say no but he might as Nigel has shown enormous belief in the lad.

Archived