How Long Before Wassell's Poached?

Saunders89

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends if we get cat 1 status, if we do, we would then potentially be the ones doing the poaching as such.

I think the chances of us going for CAT 1 status with the finance required is virtually zero. Rumour has it they are that skint at the moment they can't even afford basic maintainance at Moor Farm, maybe they will spend the Leeds ticket income on the work.

I think the aim of this to to ensure the real cream of young players is at the top clubs as soon as possible, so they are more likely to make top class players for the England team. If Mason Bennett goes and trains with all the top players at Arsenal then the theory is he will become a better player long-term, whether the theory works will be tested in the future.

Yeah, nothing at all. Its not like the youth team are winning anything is it, especially in the FA youth cup? Maybe we could produce someone capable if representing their country in youth competition? And when was the last time we saw any of the products making the step up into the first team? I wish that players such as Hendrick, O'brien, Ball and Bennett could feature in a championship game or two. Oh well, maybe we should scrap the youth team altogether as it is obviously a waste of money and time.

I don't think that;s what he said, what he said was that all the players in the youth team have potential, whether or not they fulfill that is another question, it seems to me everyone is getting way to excited about these potential stars for the future, it just takes the focus away from the first team which needs addressing.

Yeah, nothing at all. Its not like the youth team are winning anything is it, especially in the FA youth cup? Maybe we could produce someone capable if representing their country in youth competition? And when was the last time we saw any of the products making the step up into the first team? I wish that players such as Hendrick, O'brien, Ball and Bennett could feature in a championship game or two. Oh well, maybe we should scrap the youth team altogether as it is obviously a waste of money and time.

All very good achievements at youth team level, but at the moment they mean very little. If any of them win the FA Cup, are a key part of a quality championship/premiership side or win a full cap for their country then i'll praise our youth system.

Agree with EKR, you can start praising our youth academy when we've produced players the likes of Boro, Southampton, Ipswich, Palace, West Ham and Reading have..

The last time we had so many come through at once was under George Burley when we had Tudgay, Camp, Grant, Jackson, Bolder, Pablo Mills, Izale McLoud and of course Tom Huddlestone.. All of these players were in or around the first team squad that finished 4th in the league.. Only Huddlestone has made the grade whilst Tudgay and Camp have become solid NPC players

The crop that we have at the moment are hardly amazing.. Bennett looks like he could have a big future, Hendrick perhaps could become a top NPC or perhaps PL performer, as for Ball and O'Brien, they're nothing special and will probably slide down the leagues just like Izale McLoud and Pablo Mills did..

Some people make out our youth academy is spectacular, it isn't.. Yes we beat Arsenal in he youth FA Cup whic is a great achievement, but that could mean nothing in 2 years time.. Also how many of those Arsenal players will end up as regular PL players? Players like Lupoli, Barazite, Gilles Sinu, Emmanuel-Thomas and many more had potential and haven't realy achieved much.

Agree with EKR, you can start praising our youth academy when we've produced players the likes of Boro, Southampton, Ipswich, Palace, West Ham and Reading have..

The last time we had so many come through at once was under George Burley when we had Tudgay, Camp, Grant, Jackson, Bolder, Pablo Mills, Izale McLoud and of course Tom Huddlestone.. All of these players were in or around the first team squad that finished 4th in the league.. Only Huddlestone has made the grade whilst Tudgay and Camp have become solid NPC players

The crop that we have at the moment are hardly amazing.. Bennett looks like he could have a big future, Hendrick perhaps could become a top NPC or perhaps PL performer, as for Ball and O'Brien, they're nothing special and will probably slide down the leagues just like Izale McLoud and Pablo Mills did..

Some people make out our youth academy is spectacular, it isn't.. Yes we beat Arsenal in he youth FA Cup whic is a great achievement, but that could mean nothing in 2 years time.. Also how many of those Arsenal players will end up as regular PL players? Players like Lupoli, Barazite, Gilles Sinu, Emmanuel-Thomas and many more had potential and haven't realy achieved much.

The Youth academy is far from spectacular and our record in the Youth Cup for years has been abysmal, yes some good potential is coming through now and this crop has been touted as above normal for a while.

However it has been fallow for years before this and indications are that we are behind other local clubs in the years following so one good result will not make Derby the academy of choice as Glick says. What Nigel has shown though is he will give youngsters a go above older players, if they show they can offer what he wants that will demonstrate to parents and children of potential players that Derby is a good option.

I completely agree with that!!

Ball and Hendrick are ok as is ob but they haven't really been brilliant, rooney, Walcott, chamberlain , Lennon standard,

I know they are rare gems but I can't see any of our current youngsters being anything other than mid champ players at best!! I hope I'm wrong though!!

"The crop that we have at the moment are hardly amazing.. Bennett looks like he could have a big future, Hendrick perhaps could become a top NPC or perhaps PL performer, as for Ball and O'Brien, they're nothing special and will probably slide down the leagues just like Izale McLoud and Pablo Mills did"

bennett is geting all the plaudits and does look like he could be special but I think its a bit early to be saying that ball and obrien will probabbly slide down the league?

im not going be one of those people that are building these players up to be better than they actually are but similarly im not going to write them off just yet...ffs they are still very young and every player develops at different ages, lets give em a chance and our support and we could have a decent crop of young derby players on our hands

"The crop that we have at the moment are hardly amazing.. Bennett looks like he could have a big future, Hendrick perhaps could become a top NPC or perhaps PL performer, as for Ball and O'Brien, they're nothing special and will probably slide down the leagues just like Izale McLoud and Pablo Mills did"

bennett is geting all the plaudits and does look like he could be special but I think its a bit early to be saying that ball and obrien will probabbly slide down the league?

im not going be one of those people that are building these players up to be better than they actually are but similarly im not going to write them off just yet...ffs they are still very young and every player develops at different ages, lets give em a chance and our support and we could have a decent crop of young derby players on our hands

Don't get me wrong I agree players develop at different rates.. But if they were to have a good future ie. PL level then they shoul be shining at a young age.. O'Brien has done a decent job but so did Pablo Mills when called upon.. I just think it's very easy to build players up and then they don't turn out as well as we'd hoped..

I look around at younger players, even the ones that haven't become outstanding but solid PL players like Surman, Naughton, David Jones, Jamie O'Hara, Titus Bramble, Steve Sidwell, Victor Moses, Nigel Reo-Coker etc.. And you could tell that they had something about them, they were standout players be it for NPC clubs or in the reserves of PL clubs going out on loan..

When Leon Osman came here he was just a cut above and you could tell he had PL quality written all over him, and he was only young whilst he was here..

I'm not writing off any of our youngsters but for the majority of them I don't see them being standout players or I don't see them making any real headway in the future IMO.. I think it's great that NC is giving them a chance, but I'm not fooling myself to think that just because they've broken into the first team that all of a sudden it's a case of 'job done' with the academy.. The introduction of our youth players if anything tells me just how small and poor our squad is..

Give Clough credit for being brave though, not many other managers would throw youth players into a struggling team.. Many other managers would dip into the loan market instead.

Jackson came from Scarborough and Bolder came from Hull City.

Archived