Paul Jewell article

trekkie_ram

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/i_won_t_walk_away_from_ipswich_like_i_did_derby_county_says_paul_jewell_1_1143288?

The Liverpudlian quit the Rams at the end of 2008 just a few months after they were relegated from the Premier League with a record low points total, subsequently spending over a year out of the game.

However, the Blues boss says that – despite a six-game losing streak leaving his team hovering precariously above the Championship relegation zone – there will be no repeat at Portman Road.

Reclusive owner Marcus Evans gave Jewell his public backing yesterday through the voice of chief executive Simon Clegg. And Jewell says that is the key difference from his time at Pride Park.

“When I spoke to Adam Pearson (then chief executive of Derby) he said that he wanted me to stay but that the American owners would sack me if they could afford to,” said the Blues boss, whose team host bogey side Watford tomorrow.

“There was no point just sticking around for the pay; that’s not what I’m about and that’s why I walked away.

“I want to be working for Marcus Evans because he’s got belief in me, not because he can’t afford to sack me – and he certainly can by the way!

“I spoke to him yesterday and he has been hugely supportive. Off the pitch at Derby there was a lot politics going on, but here there is none of that – it’s just Marcus.

“So when you ask me if I could see a situation where I might walk away from here then the answer is no, not at all.

“I felt when I was at Derby that I couldn't take it any further, but I don’t feel the same here. I don’t feel as though I can’t turn it around.”

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if there is a lot of bickering behind the scenes in which direction to take us as a club. But nevertheless Jewell has earnt a bit of respect from myself for walking away. He tried his best at us, he really did. You could tell it was effecting him in his later interviews compared to when he first started. I hope the bloke is successful at Ipswich and whoever else he manages in future.

why do people hate jewell so much? he tried his best and wanted to succeed but was in a situation which was exceedingly difficult, it didn't work out but it's not like he sabotaged us.

Because it's taken 3 years to undo the damage caused by his spell and the last 6 months of Wee Billy's spell.

Because he was knob to people who worked at Moor Farm, causing good staff to leave.

Because he was a lazy, arrogant big time Charlie. Something he has at least had the credit to admit.

Another great result for Jewell today. I hope we pan them down there and it's the result that gets him the sack.

So it should follow then that if it transpires they win their game in hand and then beat us, and go above us, that should be it for Clough ?

Because it's taken 3 years to undo the damage caused by his spell and the last 6 months of Wee Billy's spell.

Because he was knob to people who worked at Moor Farm, causing good staff to leave.

Because he was a lazy, arrogant big time Charlie. Something he has at least had the credit to admit.

Well said its amazing how people can have a go about Clough but what was it a year without a win under Jewell yet some ask why we don't like him.

In fairness if you were under as much pressure as he was you might start being a knob to people, it happens. Also I think most people who manage or play football are pretty arrogant, In response to rotherams point I don't dislike clough as a man, just like with jewell as i don't know either of them i cannot judge.

Don't understand the hatred towards him, regardless of what people say do they honestly believe he was happy losing every week? He gave his all here and although he signed some shitters the purchases of Hulse and Commons were the best in a few years, voids that we still haven't filled really.

Our fans are as much to blame for the period under him in my opinion, a good bunch would get behind the team which we failed to do miserably even as hard as it might have been.

Think it was very hard to get behind a team that got drilled 4, 5, 6 nill in the prem then lose 1-0 to newly promoted donny rovers. He might of tried his best but he was *****, his record shows that, most fans hated him, most of the players hated him. He brought shame on our club

In fairness if you were under as much pressure as he was you might start being a knob to people, it happens. Also I think most people who manage or play football are pretty arrogant, In response to rotherams point I don't dislike clough as a man, just like with jewell as i don't know either of them i cannot judge.

What about Steve Bruce then? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Archived