Paul Jewell article

trekkie_ram

what do you want? If you seriously believe that the fans were as much to blame as jewell was then you are mad.The fans dont pick the team,buy players,instruct tactics.The fans pay their money and they have every right to voice their opinion.I think that jewell got an easy ride off the fans here.Elsewhere he would have been hounded out a lot earlier.He was rubbish,total rubbish.

Third time lucky, hooray.

I must be mad then. He got an easy ride, I agree with that, the team didn't mind. Barnsley away sticks out in my memory the most, we were boo'ing our players before the game even got going. A very winnable game where if we'd had got behind them things might have been different. Pretty much goes for most of Jewells reign really, no one likes getting smashed every week and thankfully a lot of our fanbase realised this pretty quick and made the most of it. Others turned up to simply have a pop. The mentality of our fans are as much to blame as bad management in recent years in my opinion. But hey, that's just me.. And I'm mad it seems!

I seem to think you actually think I liked Jewell as a manager though, where as I've said above I've never stated he was a good manager or I was happy with him as manager, got nothing to do with PJ my side of the argument, just us, the fans.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
obviously the initial poster was implying that we may not be able to afford to sack clough
I wasn't suggesting that at all, if they wanted to sack Clough, then a new contract was a ridiculous idea. It just stood out as an interesting point.

Other than that, you made a good post.

Third time lucky, hooray.

I must be mad then. He got an easy ride, I agree with that, the team didn't mind. Barnsley away sticks out in my memory the most, we were boo'ing our players before the game even got going. A very winnable game where if we'd had got behind them things might have been different. Pretty much goes for most of Jewells reign really, no one likes getting smashed every week and thankfully a lot of our fanbase realised this pretty quick and made the most of it. Others turned up to simply have a pop. The mentality of our fans are as much to blame as bad management in recent years in my opinion. But hey, that's just me.. And I'm mad it seems!

I seem to think you actually think I liked Jewell as a manager though, where as I've said above I've never stated he was a good manager or I was happy with him as manager, got nothing to do with PJ my side of the argument, just us, the fans.

I was at that game and remember it slightly differently re atmosphere. Don't remember the booing until the last 10minutes. Sorry.

However Jewell got it wrong very wrong whether fans had a part to play or not. He got it so wrong it damaged our club and how it is run. The same is happening at Ipswich. Proven managers can be so successful can't they

I was at that game and remember it slightly differently re atmosphere. Don't remember the booing until the last 10minutes. Sorry.

Not even our own fans fighting each other? Worst away game I've ever witnessed personally. Sticks out in my mind like a sore thumb. Nearly packed up following Derby that day, really didn't seem worth it.

Not even our own fans fighting each other? Worst away game I've ever witnessed personally. Sticks out in my mind like a sore thumb. Nearly packed up following Derby that day, really didn't seem worth it.

I remember that game when we played in that argentina style kit the tunnel is right by the away end and i remember the team and especially Jewell gettin an incredible amount of stick at the end. Horrible day to be a derby fan.

I wasn't suggesting that at all, if they wanted to sack Clough, then a new contract was a ridiculous idea. It just stood out as an interesting point.

Other than that, you made a good post.

I apologize Trekkie, I didn't look who the poster was and with so many anti-clough protagonists about then you can understand my thinking behind the posts, but yeah, and with that point I would probably albeit probably with rose tinted specs on, why would the board let the manager know they have no confidence in him, but they cant afford to sack him? surely that could of just been a ploy to keep away from a big payout, and it worked.

We know the board have money, and a lot of it, the question is how readily are they willing to spend it, would they have let Jewell relegate us, and then move? or was they just trying to get him to jump before being pushed, I don't know. I do agree however, it is an interesting point and would suggest if I was an ipswich fan... get rid, and sharpish!

I remember that game when we played in that argentina style kit the tunnel is right by the away end and i remember the team and especially Jewell gettin an incredible amount of stick at the end. Horrible day to be a derby fan.

They got the stick at the end but not at the beginning. If I remember rightly it also put us at the foot of the table.

I remember it being between Paul Ince & Paul Jewell, and I was absolutely delighted with the appointment. I even said to my Rangers mate at the time that I'd probably choose Jewell over Alex McLeish too (who was appointed by B'ham at a similar time).

I don't know if I've ever been disappointed with an appointment since I've been a fan (Cox era, so McFarland was the first appointment).

Roy McFarland - Legend as player, didn't do much with a bottomless pit of money

Jim Smith - Legend as a manager, sold half the expensive stars and brought the kind of quality we'll never see again.

Colin Todd - Wasn't in the job long, did he buy Fuertes? May as well have been labelled as a caretaker

John Gregory - Quit Aston Villa for us, spoke volumes, pity he wasn't too good.

George Burley - Did wonders with no money.

Phil Brown - Only one I hadn't heard of, which perhaps disappointed a little. Was excited to take a chance on finding a gem. His attitude grated, but he didn't have any money, only bought Darren Moore IIRC.

Billy Davies - Did wonders, talked himself into a sacking to save face. Maybe if we'd bought Kenwyne Jones (and not Clod & Earnshaw (and maybe not Miller)) we'd still be Premier League.

Paul Jewell - as main text above.

Nigel Clough - I'd have been satisfied with I.Stimac, S.MacLaren (maybe not now) or D.Saunders. Optimistic for the summer transfer window, it can't come soon enough. Relegation this season (can't see it though) or poor start next season may seal his fate.

I remember it being between Paul Ince & Paul Jewell, and I was absolutely delighted with the appointment. I even said to my Rangers mate at the time that I'd probably choose Jewell over Alex McLeish too (who was appointed by B'ham at a similar time).

I don't know if I've ever been disappointed with an appointment since I've been a fan (Cox era, so McFarland was the first appointment).

Roy McFarland - Legend as player, didn't do much with a bottomless pit of money

Jim Smith - Legend as a manager, sold half the expensive stars and brought the kind of quality we'll never see again.

Colin Todd - Wasn't in the job long, did he buy Fuertes? May as well have been labelled as a caretaker

John Gregory - Quit Aston Villa for us, spoke volumes, pity he wasn't too good.

George Burley - Did wonders with no money.

Phil Brown - Only one I hadn't heard of, which perhaps disappointed a little. Was excited to take a chance on finding a gem. His attitude grated, but he didn't have any money, only bought Darren Moore IIRC.

Billy Davies - Did wonders, talked himself into a sacking to save face. Maybe if we'd bought Kenwyne Jones (and not Clod & Earnshaw (and maybe not Miller)) we'd still be Premier League.

Paul Jewell - as main text above.

Nigel Clough - I'd have been satisfied with I.Stimac, S.MacLaren (maybe not now) or D.Saunders. Optimistic for the summer transfer window, it can't come soon enough. Relegation this season (can't see it though) or poor start next season may seal his fate.

That was Jim Smith,

Did anyone hear Michael Johnson talking about Jewell on the moan in last night? Jewell said that on Sky (live) "These players are making my life hell, so am going to make there life hell" Jewell gave them a weeks worth of training from hell, and Jono said all the players lost there confidence.

Archived