Ryan Noble

DcFc Dyycheee

Id heard the rumour about Owen coming to Derby,but not the one about Messi, a new one on me that.

If these players are in our price bracket, then I take your point about the physical presence not required, however as I guess they are not, then the type of player that is successfull in this league is normally a player in the mold that was being talked about

The majority of football that is played at this level is not on the ground, and it would be interesting to see the impact Messi would have had on that team last night compared to say a Steve Howard player, the latter being in our price range 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Ross Mcormack, David Nugent, Robert Snodgrass, Micheal Chopra, Billy Sharp, Kevin Phillips, Matty Fryatt, Kenny Miller, Keith Andrews, Scott MacDonald, Robert Koren .........need I go on?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on this is it came down to a couple of things. MON messed us about not letting him play in the cup. He would have started that match. He obviously struggled to lead the line in the abysmal first hlf display at Barnsley. Seems Clough gave up on him that day as he was subbed for Tyson early in the second half. Maybe he pulled a strop when he got subbed. That was his last appearance. Doyle getting chosen over him on Saturday as the last sub was another signal something wasent right. We are now stuck with our injury prone cheap cast off strike force and 19 year old Ball to find the goals.

, David Nugent, Robert Snodgrass, Micheal Chopra, Billy Sharp, Kevin Phillips, Matty Fryatt, Kenny Miller, Keith Andrews, Scott MacDonald, Robert Koren .........need I go on?

So of your list, how many have been part of a successful side ?

its been said that we need a big lad up front as they need to be in this in mould to be a successful striker in our division which I disputed- roughly half of the top 20 top scorers in our division are 5'10" or under regardless of whether their team is successful , they are as strikers.

Which is fair enough, but I can see where people are coming from, quite often in this league due to the brand of football that is played, you need a little and large act, we lack at the moment IMO a physical player up front that will compete, hold the ball up and win knock downs for their strike partner or midfielders, if we were playing football on the floor then yes you could have all players under 5 ft 10.

I am not sure what brand of football we play but starting to think it could be smart price. I am an advocate of what the club are trying to do but it is blatantly obvious that we need a striker- just cough up the cash in the summer. Its all very well having a mean defence but if we haven't got anyone who can regularly score we aren't going to win many games and it is so boring! I had some mates come to the game last night who aren't Derby fans and I had to apologise at the final whistle for wasting their evening.

• Ross Mcormack, David Nugent, Robert Snodgrass, Micheal Chopra, Billy Sharp, Kevin Phillips, Matty Fryatt, Kenny Miller, Keith Andrews, Scott MacDonald, Robert Koren .........need I go on?, David Nugent, Robert Snodgrass, Micheal Chopra, Billy Sharp, Kevin Phillips, Matty Fryatt, Kenny Miller, Keith Andrews, Scott MacDonald, Robert Koren .........need I go on?

I think you will find all these are in sides higher up the league than Derby . I would take almost any of these over our current so called "strikers" .

As for physical presence I think some people are mistaking pure bulk with skill . Those of you who saw John O Hare play for DCFC will know you can win balls in the air against larger opponents , control the ball on a sixpence and lay off to collegue without being built like a tank or have the pace of a whippet.

Unfortunately, players like this cost real money and don`t fit our boards "cheap & chearful" mould .

Which is fair enough, but I can see where people are coming from, quite often in this league due to the brand of football that is played, you need a little and large act, we lack at the moment IMO a physical player up front that will compete, hold the ball up and win knock downs for their strike partner or midfielders, if we were playing football on the floor then yes you could have all players under 5 ft 10.

I'd say in the top 6 Southampton, Cardiff, Blackpool & Reading play decent football. Birmingham have improved on last season but are solid defensively only West Ham play it long.

I'd say in the top 6 Southampton, Cardiff, Blackpool & Reading play decent football. Birmingham have improved on last season but are solid defensively only West Ham play it long.

Not sure I agree with Reading playing decent football- they looked pretty poor last night and that was with us trying our best to make them look good.

I am not sure what brand of football we play but starting to think it could be smart price. I am an advocate of what the club are trying to do but it is blatantly obvious that we need a striker- just cough up the cash in the summer. Its all very well having a mean defence but if we haven't got anyone who can regularly score we aren't going to win many games and it is so boring! I had some mates come to the game last night who aren't Derby fans and I had to apologise at the final whistle for wasting their evening.

I had to do that after the Cup game against Palace. I dragged my son along to PP as part of a 400 miles round trip. I promised I wouldn't make him do it again until we had a few decent attacking players. I think it may be a while before he has to go back by the sounds of it.....

I hope our money people realise that next season is going to be "make or break" in the eyes of most supporters. Time to open the purse a little wider.

I had to do that after the Cup game against Palace. I dragged my son along to PP as part of a 400 miles round trip. I promised I wouldn't make him do it again until we had a few decent attacking players. I think it may be a while before he has to go back by the sounds of it.....

I hope our money people realise that next season is going to be "make or break" in the eyes of most supporters. Time to open the purse a little wider.

I think they need to open their eyes a little wider too. Last night was the most pissed off I had been at a Derby performance since Fester turned us over at home. It was only one nil but it was the manner in which we lost- no passion, no quality, no game plan- Nothing

On the subject of strikers, I think Robinson and Tyson are pretty similar, both lightening quick but have such bad ball control that there second touch is a tackle, There idea of taking a player on is kicking it 20 yards past the player and hoping they beat him to the ball. I'd much rather have someone in the mould of DJ Campbell etc who can still offer pace but has a bit more about his game.

On the subject of strikers, I think Robinson and Tyson are pretty similar, both lightening quick but have such bad ball control that there second touch is a tackle, There idea of taking a player on is kicking it 20 yards past the player and hoping they beat him to the ball. I'd much rather have someone in the mould of DJ Campbell etc who can still offer pace but has a bit more about his game.

Not tall enough mate 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Archived