Living in and around Derbyshire

PrivateDerby

Im more than likely moving closer to Derby after New Year, so we have recently been spending a lot of our free time frolicking all over Derbyshire. To be honest we have no idea where about's we want to go yet, or whether we want to be out in the sticks or closer to the city.

Problem is whenever we go exploring on days off, we just end up getting distracted and going back to Stoke wondering where we have just been.

There are a few places that we like at the moment, most of these are ooop north because for some reason we always find ourselves going up the A6.

Just wondering where about's in Derbyshire you lot live? What are your thoughts and any suggestions? Just one thing....... please don't think it's funny and send us to a place that resembles Karachi or Bucharest 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just moved from Stockport to Ilkeston In July. We had a good look about all areas in commuter distance for Dav's teaching, so we thought Ilkeston was ok for Notts, Leicester, Stoke, Derby of course and other surrounding areas as it's so central.

Another big reason we chose Ilson was for the schools, and we managed to get our girl into Kirk Hallam. Out of 42 secondary's in Derbyshire, that came out tops, so we got lucky there - mind, we had to win our appeal first. The primary school for our lad isn't as good as the one he left, but KH will be his feeder school and we know he'll get a place.

So if you've got kids, do some research into schools, if not, look into travelling times and distances for work. One thing I do know, house prices are a lot cheaper down here compared to Stockport - but that was because it's so near to Manchester.

Derbyshire beats it hands down, wherever you go, you're not far from fantastic countryside.

I live in Horsley woodhouse, it is quite nice. There is a main road and a small primary, however that is ever growing. There is countryside if you know where to find it, the fields extend to denby and beyond if you know where to look. There is a main road which provides good access to places and it is around 20 minutes away from derby. Normally you can get out of snow however last year we had problems, and if it continues to get worse the results will be the same, also if you live down a side road like i do, they are not gritted and depending on how far down a street you are you might not get up. There are two local secondary schools which are local, these are John Flamsteed and Heanor Gate, Flamsteed I am being told is rapidly going downhill due to the loss of many experienced teachers, Heanor Gate is big but seems to get good pass rates.

See what I mean?....weirdo 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

so you say 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> mind you lincolnshire is full of odd people daveo 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> believe me i have a relative there.

I'd avoid Horsley woodhouse, people there tend to be abit...erm....weird.

Oi, be careful what you say Daveo

The oNly thing about Lincoln, I can say is.......POTATOOOES

YoungRam, I don't know what you mean about Flammys teachers leaving???

well my english teacher left who was head of the department, my maths teacher left who was head of the department, the p.s.e teacher has left and 2 technology teachers have left, the ones who left were widely regarded to be the best teachers at the school. The english teacher was inadequately replaced and I know parents of kids who go and they now frequently complain about the standard, this never used to happen, thus i have to assume it is in part down to good teachers leaving.

A couple of them have left to go abroad, so I hear - the maths teacher went to do some charity work or summat - and the english teacher, could hardly walk and has retired.

My daughter has a lovely english teacher as an english teacher and her form tutor. She has a fantastic humanities teacher who we regularly see home and away at the match - and a lovely headmaster. My eldest, who left last year, had probably the best History teacher she could have wished for and a maths teacher she hated, but managed to get an A* with.

That's not hearsay.

A couple of them have left to go abroad, so I hear - the maths teacher went to do some charity work or summat - and the english teacher, could hardly walk and has retired.

My daughter has a lovely english teacher as an english teacher and her form tutor. She has a fantastic humanities teacher who we regularly see home and away at the match - and a lovely headmaster. My eldest, who left last year, had probably the best History teacher she could have wished for and a maths teacher she hated, but managed to get an A* with.

That's not hearsay.

The maths teacher went to work for the council advising on maths teaching, that is what we were told. My old english teacher called Mrs Bourgeat did have problems with her hip, but she commanded tremendous respect and was a lovely woman who managed a class far better than her predecessor, mr ritches in my opinion he was a bad joke a lovely person but an awful teacher, that is my opinion of having a year with him, a number of our class were unimpressed with his teaching but we all got along with him very well because he was very amenable. The teacher you are talking about is Mr Brown i think, he is really nice and a very good teacher. I had my geography with him and was very good.

Mr Holden is a very good headmaster indeed, no doubt about it and a lovely person. Mrs Redhead again is a lovely person and a very good teacher no doubt about it, as long as you don't get on the wrong side of her 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />. I believe one of the tech teachers went to new zealand and the p.s.e teacher apparently just walked out one day and never came back who knows where he is gone. I haven't been there for a while (now in year13) but i know parents who do send kids there and some of my friends have siblings who go, this is just what they have said and they may be wrong, I know parents can be. This is just opinion and not stated fact, sorry if i misrepresented the case, however the year i left, they only achieved 49% 5 A*-C pass rate which isn't great. I loved my time there as it is a lovely school in terms of environment and such.

Archived